Grado Fan Club!
Aug 23, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #62,431 of 65,965
The bottle said to leave it on for 20 minutes. And I put it on liberally. 😄
You remind me of my chemistry teacher in boarding school; when using nitric acid in an experiment, he would say: ‘if a little bit’s good a whole lot’s better’ 😯.

Aug 23, 2023 at 7:07 PM Post #62,432 of 65,965

Dekoni Audio Custom Fenestrated Velour Replacement Ear Pads for Grado Headphones​

is anyone out there using these with the Hemp? My headphones are on the way, and of course I’m looking at accessorie! I suppose I should wait and just try the stock pads. In the end would sacrifice a little comfort to preserve the sound quality. Any opinions/advice are most appreciated. :L3000:

Aug 23, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #62,434 of 65,965

Dekoni Audio Custom Fenestrated Velour Replacement Ear Pads for Grado Headphones​

is anyone out there using these with the Hemp? My headphones are on the way, and of course I’m looking at accessorie! I suppose I should wait and just try the stock pads. In the end would sacrifice a little comfort to preserve the sound quality. Any opinions/advice are most appreciated. :L3000:
I didn't care for them. They will keep the drivers pretty far from your ears. The Shipibo's are working best for me. And the BA pads are Really amazing on them.

Aug 23, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #62,435 of 65,965
Aug 23, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #62,437 of 65,965
Yes they do look like they distance the speakers to far away…maybe even deeper than my Audeze LCD-2 ear pads!
And the stock pads will put them right inside your ear. The Shipibo and BA pads find a nice balance.

Aug 23, 2023 at 8:08 PM Post #62,438 of 65,965

I wouldn't recommend them for the Hemps. I had them with the SR80e and found that they added a bit of a bass shelf to them (even if they put distance between the driver/ears). So it was actually nice on the 80e to tame the brightness at times. On the Hemp, could be too much of a good thing.

I opted for ZMF Beyer+ pads as they don't really mess with the stock sound nearly as much as the Dekoni does and still gives me that comfort.

But the stock pads really do the best for the signature in my opinion. YMMV as always.

Aug 23, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #62,439 of 65,965
Boarding school? This seems like an interesting story.
Contrary to Head-Fi belief, not reform school! 😄. I went to Kilimani Primary School, Duke of York School - in Nairobi, Kenya.

Aug 23, 2023 at 9:06 PM Post #62,440 of 65,965

For me, the earpads for Hemp are F-pads (either Grado or TTVJ Deluxe Flats).

Aug 23, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #62,441 of 65,965
I wouldn't recommend them for the Hemps. I had them with the SR80e and found that they added a bit of a bass shelf to them (even if they put distance between the driver/ears). So it was actually nice on the 80e to tame the brightness at times. On the Hemp, could be too much of a good thing.

I opted for ZMF Beyer+ pads as they don't really mess with the stock sound nearly as much as the Dekoni does and still gives me that comfort.

But the stock pads really do the best for the signature in my opinion. YMMV as always.
I agree with @Slade01 and @JonathanC that the Hemps really prefer the stock flat it was designed around or TTVJ’s deluxe flats that feel a little softer to me.

On the other hand I certainly can understand the fun of pad rolling on the lower end models to hear the differences you might come across.

Not to forget the factoid that Grado OEM pads will break in comfort wise after sufficient play time. Additionally if you are not adjusting (bending) the headband to “find” the best fit for both comfort and sound performance then you have not done your share to bring out their best. Even a slight change of where the ear is positioned can reap real rewards. I have more than a few Grados and used to be an authorized dealer for them and this fine tuning can pay real dividends. I only have one Grado with non Grado pads, my GH2 with Beautiful Audio hybrid pads. A recommendation from one of the old timers.

Good luck & Enjoy,
Keep that music coming.

P.S. Beware of low flying cars

Attachments

• IMG_8733.png
    IMG_8733.png
    522.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3262.jpeg
    IMG_3262.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3401.jpeg
    IMG_3401.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 23, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #62,442 of 65,965
Contrary to Head-Fi belief, not reform school! 😄. I went to Kilimani Primary School, Duke of York School - in Nairobi, Kenya.
I'll bet you have some interesting stories from those years.

Aug 23, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #62,443 of 65,965
Oh, my mistake, I always thought it was a high security prison with moats and crocodiles. I never would have said all those things about you if I had but known.

P.S. my pet Cayman (alligator family) SARDONICUS

Attachments

• IMG_0719.jpeg
    IMG_0719.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 24, 2023 at 2:38 AM Post #62,445 of 65,965

I have the straight velour (non-fenestrated) ones and love them with Hemp and GH2. Orders of magnitude more comfortable than the scratchy, ear-flattening stock pads, all the details are present and because they're over-ear you get a bit more isolation from outside sounds. 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back