Grado Fan Club!
May 6, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #65,641 of 65,799
IMG_3219.jpeg

Some of @devouringone3 ‘s fantastic sleuthing and description of how Nakamichi SP-7 and Grado HP-1000 drivers share unusual driver characteristics (seemingly unlike latter day Grado), here and here. Both were made by same Japanese company Primo. Joe Grado ordered his with custom specs for his HP-1000, model number DH-57. SP-7 is model number DH-40 as seen printed on drivers.

DH-40 is a 5 years older beast, visually near identical but still unheard of on Head-Fi; its sound grade isn't as perfect as HP 1000's (I would say 95% of it, called DH-57 on Primo's then website), but the godly “envelop” / sound characteristics are all shared, like twin brothers.
Quick comparison of 325x vs Primo DH-40 featuring F-pads + iPhone dongle. See earlier posts for driver transplant info.

- intro to 325x: like a warmer (bassier) and darker (less highs) RS2x minus some ability to resolve smaller gradations in detail. 325x is relatively neutral but could use a tiny bit more bass or lose a tiny bit more upper-mids… because a more v-shaped frequency response is supposedly more useable for low volume listeners like me according to Equal Loudness Contour and I agree ime. fyi, I did not get along with RS2x despite trying many alternate pads for sonic or comfort reasons however I did not try Beautiful Audio pads.

- Primo DH-40 relative to 325x: less bass extension on DH-40, and a little more mid-forward. The reduced bass extension was noticeable on music employing lots of bass. For example, bass roll off was obvious on Bjork but much less so on Curtis Mayfield. Perhaps related to bass extension, percussion instruments on Curtis Mayfield tracks lacked a tiny bit of impact on DH-40 compared to 325x… but I dont think that’s bass extension issue but related to upper harmonics as I think Grado tend to have peaks that accentuate perception of impact and definition.

- As far as I could tell both headphones resolved finer gradations in detail pretty equally, which is to say very well for “mid-fi”. Grado Reference series, Stax Lambda, Audeze LCD-X (2022) is much more obvious jump to next level nuance.

- Bass dynamics seemingly good but not an obvious strength like maybe Monoprice-AMT or ETA O2. Primo DH-40 lacks some extension so never going to be satisfying for wider swaths of music.

I prefer 325x. However I wonder if pad or upstream component synergy could alter judgement.

Despite SR60 being slightly fatiguing due to slightly spicy lower treble I think it is otherwise a more balanced listen than either. I think Ill sell 325x and Primo DH-40 / Nakamichi SP-7. 325x’s metal cups and ridiculous cable hurt portable convenience which is a major con.

edit: addendum 05/16/2024

Comparing 325x and SR60 directly:
- SR60 slightly spicy and fatiguing lower treble can sometimes come off as sounding grating or peaky, while 325x sounds smoother and fuller in the treble.
- SR60 seems to have very slightly more bass which is preferable
- 325x percussion instruments can sound as having a little more impact and definition, perhaps related to cleaner bass or perhaps hint of frequency response peaks like upper mids
- which do I prefer? If based on sonics only, then 325x
- ymmv, hrtf, etc

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #65,642 of 65,799
Last night I compared my Meze headphones to the Grados, using two tracks - Stevie Wonder's "Don't You Worry 'Bout A Thing" and "Sir Duke." The differences between the two brands was quite significant. At the beginning of "Don't You Worry..." Stevie is talking a bunch of nonsense trying to impress a girl. With the Grados, it is like he is facing me and talking up close but with the Meze, it is more like he has his hand in front of his mouth or he is turned away and talking. Everything is much more up front with the Grados. As to the difference between the Grados, it is like my earlier impressions. The RS2x has more detail but the 325x more bass. The bass drum at the beginning of Sir Duke has more oomph with the 325x as does the bass line that goes all over the frets, while with the RS2x it sounds more delineated. The comments in this thread say that the bass will increase in the RS2x so I'd like for that to happen but not at the expense of any clarity. These bring out all the details.

May 6, 2024 at 10:30 PM Post #65,643 of 65,799
Listening to the 325x right now. Fed from Roon/Qobuz to the Yiggy gs2 and moving the bits to the Vali 3. An amazing setup. Quality of the sound, based on my preferences, is exquisite. Highly recommend them. Amazing......

Leo

May 7, 2024 at 2:10 AM Post #65,644 of 65,799
Listening to the 325x right now. Fed from Roon/Qobuz to the Yiggy gs2 and moving the bits to the Vali 3. An amazing setup. Quality of the sound, based on my preferences, is exquisite. Highly recommend them. Amazing......

Leo
How’s the Vali 3? I used to have a Vali 2+ and tbh I loved it. With the right tube it can have much better depth and staging compared to the Magni. Feeding my SR80e with a Nitsch Piety in high gain (using a D30 Pro in preamp mode to reduce the volume to use the pot better on the Piety lol. It’s been great)

May 7, 2024 at 3:58 AM Post #65,645 of 65,799
Last night I compared my Meze headphones to the Grados, using two tracks - Stevie Wonder's "Don't You Worry 'Bout A Thing" and "Sir Duke." The differences between the two brands was quite significant. At the beginning of "Don't You Worry..." Stevie is talking a bunch of nonsense trying to impress a girl. With the Grados, it is like he is facing me and talking up close but with the Meze, it is more like he has his hand in front of his mouth or he is turned away and talking. Everything is much more up front with the Grados.
And this is exact the reason, why I have sold my Meze Elite again. My GS1000i sounds much more forward and transparent with much better dynamics. With a good tube amp a dream!

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 7:01 AM Post #65,647 of 65,799
And this is exact the reason, why I have sold my Meze Elite again. My GS1000i sounds much more forward and transparent with much better dynamics. With a good tube amp a dream!

Agreed.

The GS1000X and Folkvangr are an insanely good combo. The soundstage and timbre are just so good.

May 7, 2024 at 2:13 PM Post #65,648 of 65,799
After 2 days with the Rs-x1 the cable got to me
But I did not fancy ungluing the driver on 2 day old £750 headphone
So I have put inline 3.5mm 3 pole female socket
IMG_4041.jpg
I also took apart the old cable from my 325x
basically the 2 reds(+)left side run straight from the plug via the Y connector to the driver
also the two white right side (+) run straight from the plug via the Y connector to the driver
The 4 blue cables all got to the Y splitter and are joined together then a pair go to each driver
IMG_4040.jpg
This is only a temp mod unit I have plucked up courage to fit sockets into the shell
I just go these sockets in the picture and plan to do a mod like you did to use with this Meze cable Here, can you please help on the wiring diagram?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240507_211116_AliExpress.jpg
    Screenshot_20240507_211116_AliExpress.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 0
May 7, 2024 at 6:52 PM Post #65,649 of 65,799
Hello, all, does anyone have preferred eq settings for the GS3000X, ideally with BA pads, 10-band/parametric for Poweramp? If you say, 'Are you KIDDING?', I might even end up agreeing, they're great just as they are. But I can't find anything from oratory1990, Crinacle et. al., and why not try to better balance bass and treble? Thanks!

May 8, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #65,650 of 65,799
Hey gang,

Edit: NVM I just found out only ONE code per blast would work so if I want the first… and I’m sure I wasn’t. It would be great if Grado actually put a claimed notice up on the page.

I'm just about ready to grab a set of Grados for my mom for Mother's Day (here in the US) and in today's marketing email they have a coupon code that's via secret clues... and I can't for the life of me what that would be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
https://mailchi.mp/gradolabs/high-end-munich?e=2440ef9a6f

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 5:30 PM Post #65,651 of 65,799
Gonna be honest I’m very torn between buying a 225x and 325x. Thing is, either would be a nice enough upgrade over the used SR80e I bought. Used to have a hemp before my move but I sold it and I’m getting back into grados. Bought the SR80e second-hand and I’m addicted to the grado sound again haha. But yeah, I’m so torn because both the 225 series and 325 series have their fanbases that rave about both of em.

May 8, 2024 at 8:57 PM Post #65,653 of 65,799
Gonna be honest I’m very torn between buying a 225x and 325x. Thing is, either would be a nice enough upgrade over the used SR80e I bought. Used to have a hemp before my move but I sold it and I’m getting back into grados. Bought the SR80e second-hand and I’m addicted to the grado sound again haha. But yeah, I’m so torn because both the 225 series and 325 series have their fanbases that rave about both of em.
I have the SR225x's and enjoy them. I had read where the 325x's were too bright so that's why I didn't go with them.

May 8, 2024 at 9:17 PM Post #65,654 of 65,799
I have the SR225x's and enjoy them. I had read where the 325x's were too bright so that's why I didn't go with them.
I just really love the SR80e sound. Anything similar to it but an upgrade of it would be nice. Maybe sr325e if I could find it? Or sr225x. Hard to pick between all these options because some people love the e series and some like the x series updates. And some resent the x series updates. Funds are a bit limited so I’d like to make a proper choice for now haha

May 8, 2024 at 10:22 PM Post #65,655 of 65,799
Having heard so many good things about the 225e, I just picked one up in terrific condition for very little money (I actually think I scrolled by another for even less in the classifieds earlier,) and I instantly love it -- of course the "instantly" is probably because it's already broken in, but so what, if you find one that's been used less, that's easily done, and I plan to clock some hours on it through my computer in my study when I'm not in there. I have other models from hemps to 3000Xs, this one's for walking around in the world and if something happens to it, etc. I haven't heard anything in the X series except the 3000, I no longer have my previous generation 60s, 80s, and 325s, but I don't remember them being this good and considering what I've been listening to lately that's saying something, but I'm still pretty useless about comparisons. Bottom line, this is far and away the best $150 I've ever spent on a pair of cans -- and I might have overpaid, and I don't care

Users who are viewing this thread

Back