Grado guys
Dec 27, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #2 of 14
The HP-1000 is out of production. It's a beautiful headphone and collectors snag them up, but this guy wants top dollar. Is this can worth more than a brand-new PS-1000? It's worth whatever the market will pay - and if you were looking to add this to your collection, it might be worth it to you. But if you're looking for the best phone, I'm not sure this guy's HP-1000 outguns a band-new PS-1000.

Dec 28, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #4 of 14
The HP-2 is a sensational headphone, but I don't know if I'd pay $1,900 for a pair.

The lettering is a futzy collector thing - it rubs off so easily that you'll have a very difficult time listening to them without damaging the paint. Handling them lightly is enough to cause loss.

So if you're willing to pay a premium for something you stash away and don't listen to, go for it. If you want a pair for listening, wait for another pair to turn up at a more realistic price.

For $1,900, I'd rather buy a HD-800. Or you could get a K-1000 and a nice tube amp to drive them for $1,900.

Dec 28, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #5 of 14
I see the HP-1000 as a good sounding investment,i'd definately go for them

Dec 28, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #7 of 14
I've seen them go for $1100-1600 here.

EDIT: Of course, with examples going for the lower end of that range, they had the letters faded, no JGWBRC, etc.

Dec 28, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #8 of 14
On second thought, buy 'em. That way this guy will have a big wad of cash, which he can then spend on something else, which will give somebody else a big wad of cash, allowing them to spend money on something else till the economy is out of the crapper.

Don't you get it? We're all waiting on you. Be the Big Stimulator.

Dec 28, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On second thought, buy 'em. That way this guy will have a big wad of cash, which he can then spend on something else, which will give somebody else a big wad of cash, allowing them to spend money on something else till the economy is out of the crapper.

Don't you get it? We're all waiting on you. Be the Big Stimulator.

See: Fiscal multiplier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
tongue.gif

Dec 28, 2009 at 10:04 AM Post #10 of 14
If your buying it as an investment, the price is high but it is in very good condition. If your buying it to listen, use them most days etc, id wait till one comes up with all the lettering rubbed off. I need to try a pair before i buy, but im waiting on a 0% lettering pair with JGUWBC

Dec 28, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #11 of 14
When I got mine, all of the print had been polished-off - which was fine with me. If I could have them anyway I wanted - IMO they're at their prettiest with just the center having the JG, and the R & L on the headband blocks. .......but, then, I'm not a collector and actually use them.
Until recent economic turn-down, pairs such as mine would routinely be going for $1,400 - 1,450. Admittedly, I've been shocked to see peeps selling their older RS-1 for less than $500, whereas the standard had been $550 (and less often $525). It is because of this lack of action that I haven't bothered to post a "moving to new house sale" so as not to have more stuff like other headphones and amps to move.

Dec 28, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #13 of 14
The phones in the link look wide, like they fit a massive head.

Dec 28, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #14 of 14
I'd say they're worth about $1500 at the absolute maximum.

First off, the seller didn't make any effort to clean them up prior to selling which is a big negative for me. All those little pieces of black foam from the deteriorating ear pads can easily be removed with qtips and alcohol/distilled water. You can be sure they are inside the housing as well, which isn't that big a deal. I've carefully removed the drivers from multiple HP1000s in order to clean out the internal housings. It just takes a bit of time and patience.

Second, what is that beige colored funk(in the fifth picture down from the top) surrounding the swivel points on the direct left and right sides of the earcups? Directly to the right of the word "Products" and to the left of the word "Joseph" is what I'm referring to. It looks pretty foul and indicates questionable handling/storage methods to me. If it's simply dust and funk generated over the years that is yet another thing that can easily be cleaned with qtips, but if it is some kind of glue residue as a DIY method to have fixed the rods at some point? Who knows. I'd message the seller and ask first.

Third, the lack of rod adjusting screws is a big negative for me personally. I heard at one point that you could order another pair from Joe Grado, however they were extremely high in price because they are a one off design. If I recall correctly, the price was in the triple digits for a pair of screws. Sure you could probably fabricate yourself another option, but that would certainly detract from the stock aesthetics of the HP1000 and be an eyesore in my opinion.

Fourth, under the word "Signature" at the top of the right earcup(second picture) there appears to be some discoloration possibly due to rusting or pitting. Not sure exactly what it is but something is there for sure. Another possible indicator of improper storage and handling over the years.

Other than that they look pretty good. All the lettering there is a big plus and the headband looks to be in great shape. The good thing about the HP1000s headband is that the metal rod running through the leather headband can easily be molded and adjusted should they have been owned previously by someone with a large noggin. The plug looks to be in good shape as well, however with the negatives I listed above $1500 is the highest I would consider going. The thing that bothers me the most is the possible rusting. If I were in the market for an HP1000 I would remain patient and hold out for another pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back