Grado HF-1 or RS325is
Jan 12, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #4 of 24
Thanks. I've never tried Grado headphones, but I just put a Grado Red1 cartridge on my turntable and really love it. Looking at these two headphone choices locally (used).

Some of my past headphones: BeyerDynamic DT770’s, Sennheiser HD650’s, Westone UM2’s.

I'd be using the Grados with a Little Dot Mk III and listening to vinyl (Music Fidelity V-LPS phono stage for the turntable).

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #5 of 24
The HF-1 is a better headphone, hands-down.  The HF-1 is sort of a poor-man's version of the RS-1.  It looks plastic like an SR-225, but inside are mahogany cups.  I think its tonal quality and detail is better than the HF-2 or in its current name, the PS500 - and either one of those is better than the SR325, IMHO.

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:
The HF-1 is a better headphone, hands-down.  The HF-1 is sort of a poor-man's version of the RS-1.  It looks plastic like an SR-225, but inside are mahogany cups.  I think its tonal quality and detail is better than the HF-2 or in its current name, the PS500 - and either one of those is better than the SR325, IMHO.

IMHO, the 325is is better than the PS500.

Jan 12, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #7 of 24
Wow headfi-TTVJ flashback... HF-1

You can still get the HF-1?

Poor mans RS1 I think is an accurate assessment overall.  Very similar sonic presentation although the HF-1 is more bass-heavy and can't come close to the RS-1 "snap" detail resolution.  Thats not necessarily a bad thing though, if you are just plugging into a soundcard or Cmoy (although I have listened to some cmoy builds that were SURPRISINGLY fast, speedy and detail resolving with my RS1).  Its the "groove" of the HF-1 that I think makes it a more appealing can than the RS1 at times.  The RS-1 scales up MUCH higher with better amplification and source.  But if I just want to plug into the macbook and watch youtube concerts hands down its the HF-1.  FWIW my HF1 has gone through various forms of DIY-modding... but I have reverted back to stock form now.  Its more of a collectable kind of thing for me now, knowing how much collaboration went on between Jude, Todd and John.  I am still very thankful to have these.

Stock ~2006

Stage-1

Stage-2

My cans grooving it in action at a 2006 head-fi meet.  Camping out next to Leaav (user Id neilpeart) M^3 rig.

... and come 2013 we're back to stock (flat pads shown and holiday festive tablecloth), on a macbook pro.

I honestly never cared for the 325 or 325i I always preferred the 225 and HF1 to it.  For whatever reason I never felt the $$ increase was justified for the 325 in its various incarnations.  I haven't heard the latest 325is though... so my views on that are admittedly out-dated.  I did have an MS2 for a while, but I sold it once I heard the more grado-colored cans.  I liked the MS2 slightly better than the 325i though.

Jan 12, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #8 of 24
Grado has the ugliest headphones on the market, hands down, they make me want to puke just looking at them...
tongue.gif

Jan 12, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:
Yes a very important factor for those critical listening sessions when we hear with our eyes.

Kramer?  Is this a resurrection - haven't you been gone for a few years?
wink.gif

Quote:

I honestly never cared for the 325 or 325i I always preferred the 225 and HF1 to it. For whatever reason I never felt the $$ increase was justified for the 325 in its various incarnations. I haven't heard the latest 325is though... so my views on that are admittedly out-dated. I did have an MS2 for a while, but I sold it once I heard the more grado-colored cans. I liked the MS2 slightly better than the 325i though.

The Grado "i" series isn't any different, sound-wise.  Bigger cable, a bit of beveling for a nicer feel on the cups, but guts are the same.  I agree with your assessment.

Jan 12, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #11 of 24
I actually think the best looking headphone in existence is the RS2i...
Highlights peoples taste differences i guess :wink:

Jan 12, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #12 of 24
Yes a very important factor for those critical listening sessions when we hear with our eyes.

DUDE. Kramer where have you been?!! You met me when I was a kid back in the day and here I am with LCD-2's and a Member of the Trade! Remember when we went to AMD/ATi and rented out a small conference room? I'm that asian kid!

Jan 12, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #13 of 24
i know what you mean. i was more a lurker when Kramer was more active, when i joined i noticed he wasn't around at all.
I found myself thinking about all the head-fiers that were.. im not sure.. prominent? and didn't get a chance to talk to cos i lurked for so long. 

Jan 12, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #14 of 24
OMG I remember you Chris, wow you're MOT now huh?  yeah those bay area meets were a lot of fun... ironbut, Voltron, neilpeart, utep10, AMB.... I'm missing a few too.  Who was the guy with the Orpheus setup in the saratoga hills... brain is farting out.  Bruce (utep10) very generously gave me a bunch of original master recording CDs that I still listen to all the time.  I think it was either utep10 or Voltron that had an old Singlepower toaster that I LOVED plugging my cans into whenever I could.  The sound of that single ended rig is ETCHED into my brain... er at least what I can remember of it.  LOL!!

What ever happened to Jahn, boomana, duggeh and nikongod?... oh if this is too far off topic just feel free to PM me any time!!

I come back, poking my head up looking for a K701 or similarly BIG soundstage, since I am listening to a lot of orchestral/symphonic metal now, and wow have things changed.... well sort of.  Looks like Grados are still ugly, sennheisers (the old ones) are still veiled, and the K701 still has a huge soundstage  (for a dynamic speaker element can).

Lot more Jude pics as avatars now too...LOL!!!

Thanks fellas for the warm welcome... still enjoying the tunes here on my end!! 

Jan 12, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:
Same price. Which would you buy and why?

I think that your ear's should tell you which one to choose. It all comes down to what you personally like to hear out of the music!!! I mean who is really one to say which one is BETTER. Sometimes in some cases I believe there are better, if you are talking about something along the lines of build quality or technically or for instance better suited for a particular application, but when it comes down to it it is all based on how YOU like to hear what YOU are listening too. I'll give you an example; I had heard the325is at one time when I owned 80i's and planned to purchase them one day. Upon reading more and more post's where people preferred the MS2i (which I never heard) I said to myself how can I go wrong, their supposed to be better and their from Grado/Alessandro, right? Wrong! One was not better than the other, their both amazing headphones IMO, but I realized that to ME the Grado sound signature captured my attention more than the MS2i, so in the end I traded the MS2i for the 325is which I preferred. It wasn't BETTER, just different! With that being said I found out that this forum is great for knowledge and I'm glad to be a part of it, but in the end HEARING is better than reading in the case of listening to headphones.
My advise is if you can listen to them,buy the ones that are BEST for YOU!!!
Good luck,enjoy which ever one brings it to you!!!
I Hope that from what I have experienced helps you!
And if you do purchase one please let us know which and why. Thanks,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back