Grado igi's must cause brain damage...
Nov 6, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #16 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have your Titans arrived? I'll have to search the numerous Titan threads for your impressions (unless you graciously provide me with a link
smile.gif
). Alot of the Grado faithful have very limited experience when it comes to budget IEMs?

Yes, I have Titans in my possession. I posted initial impressions in one of the skullcandy threads but they were very limited. Full impressions hopefully coming next week. Still only 30 hours on them.

Nov 9, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #17 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by fzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and how did they sound to you? Or, are you just judging them on whether they have pins stripes and mag wheels?

I've been listening to the iGi's, but mostly to the GR8's which I like very much (and am not especially a Grado fan-boy).

First post here at head-fi.org...

I'm listening to the Grado iGi as I write this. Not sure what to think just yet, but I just got ahold of a used set to compare to the cheapies I already own. I'll be back with my impressions in a week or two. I'm not sure how much these were used (they were purchased only in early October), but I'm being fair and giving them some break-in. I do notice that they sound different than when I got them late last week, which makes me think they were not used too much. And I also e-mailed Grado with a few questions, given my initial impressions.

I WILL say right off the bat that the silicone ear tips are the best I've used thus far. My budget does not allow for Etymotic, Shure, etc. right now, so I don't know what a "real" IEM feels or sounds like. Having said that, though, these tips do go deeper into the ear canal. I'm using the black "double" silicone tip right now--they do NOT slip out after an hour or so like the other ones I've used, and I can comfortably wear them for hours without them bothering me.

The looks? I don't care...I can't see them while listening.
biggrin.gif

Nov 9, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #18 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildcat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First post here at head-fi.org...

I'm listening to the Grado iGi as I write this. Not sure what to think just yet, but I just got ahold of a used set to compare to the cheapies I already own. I'll be back with my impressions in a week or two. I'm not sure how much these were used (they were purchased only in early October), but I'm being fair and giving them some break-in. I do notice that they sound different than when I got them late last week, which makes me think they were not used too much. And I also e-mailed Grado with a few questions, given my initial impressions.

I WILL say right off the bat that the silicone ear tips are the best I've used thus far. My budget does not allow for Etymotic, Shure, etc. right now, so I don't know what a "real" IEM feels or sounds like. Having said that, though, these tips do go deeper into the ear canal. I'm using the black "double" silicone tip right now--they do NOT slip out after an hour or so like the other ones I've used, and I can comfortably wear them for hours without them bothering me.

The looks? I don't care...I can't see them while listening.
biggrin.gif

I will look forward into your impressions.
k701smile.gif

Nov 25, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #20 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by mythless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will look forward into your impressions.
k701smile.gif

Well, I've given the Grado iGi a few weeks to break in, and I'm back with the report. First a little background.

Given my current living situation, we don't have room for my main "he-man" audio rig anymore, so I'm listening mainly to one of my two Zune players as I work in my home office throughout the day (one 120GB, the other an 8GB that I use outdoors, on the bike, etc.). I must say I've been more than happy with the Zune players, but have been struggling to find some budget IEMs. I'm usually at the computer several hours per day (or so say my complaining eyes), and listening to something most of that time.

I first had some Sony IEMs that were around $25. They had a funky peak in the lower treble, but the bass was very surprising. The trouble I had was with the silicone ear tips: I had the mid-size tips on, and they would slip out. Figuring they were too small, I went up a size, and it got worse. On a hunch one day, I tried the smallest tips, and they stayed in nicely. They'd still slip out after an hour or so (due to oil, sweat, etc.).

A month later, sitting at the computer, one side quit. Out of nowhere. No amount of jiggling the cords, checking the units for built-up gunk, etc. would help.

I next tried the JVC Marshmallows. At first the memory foam tips seemed like a better idea. But after a couple of weeks they, too, would not stay in more than 10-15 minutes. The sound was softer than the Sony--the treble wasn't as extended and bass wasn't as deep, but they were at least listenable. Finally, the foam just drove me to distraction, and started to hurt when I first put them in (despite "softening" them beforehand with my fingers).

A local store had the Koss KE29R (ruby red, somewhat matching my red Zune players
wink.gif
) on clearance for $13.99, so I took a chance. Better sound than the JVC, with decent highs and a bit more bass (still not as much as the Sony) but the silicone ear tips were short. They would stay in for an hour, tops, before falling out. Lived with that aggravation for a few weeks until it occured to me to try the Sony silicone tips on the Koss. Well, that was about the best combination I had yet tried! They would stay in longer and were a bit more comfortable, but I still got soreness after a couple of hours.

With the deal I got on the Grado iGis, I figured it couldn't hurt to try them out, given how even their less expensive SR-60 and SR-80 'phones always got decent press.

On first listen, I didn't care for these iGis at all. While the bass was good (I luvs me some bass
biggrin.gif
), there was a strongly pronounced peak in the lower treble that made them strident to listen to. Dynamics were also flat--everything just sounded "squished" together. The midrange sounded the most natural of the bunch, though.

First, I should mention that the iGi ships with four different ear tips. There is one set of memory foam tips. No thanks. There is a cone-shaped silicone tip that wouldn't even stay in my ear. Then, there are two different sizes of what I call "double" ear tips, which are longer, and the "cup" portion fits further into your ear canal. (Not as deep as the Etymotics, from what I can tell.) But it turns out the smaller black set in this style was perfect: I can wear them comfortably, literally for hours, with no fatigue whatsoever. And they do not fall out!

So, I had finally found an ear tip I liked.

Back to the sonics. Despite the sound, I still used them daily. For hours. I figured I was wearing them from about 3:00PM until dinner (6-ish), then for at least three hours in the evening, if not more. I played these at different volume levels over the course of a few weeks.

And I'll be darned, but they actually sound better now! That peak in the treble is still there, but after a few minutes, I don't really notice it anymore. There is a slight silibance because of this, but with the peak lowered, the higher treble frequencies are not masked. The midrange is as clear as before, if not improved. The bass is still nice and weighty without the "bombast" that the Sony IEMs could have on occasion. Dynamics are also much better.

I realize these will never sound as good as my bigger sets of speakers in my main audio rig, and I'm sure there are better IEMs out there, albeit at higher prices. For what I paid ($69, lightly used--the original owner bought them a few weeks before selling them to me), I'm happy with them. From a comfort standpoint, they are a winner. Sound? Maybe not perfect, and I know there are better out there, but I can live with these.

One nice touch is that the plug AND both ear transducers have decent rubber strain reliefs molded on. Can't say that for the other cheapies I've bought. Although, being on clearance, I did grab a second pair of the Koss KE29, but in purple this time...I want a cheaper "disposable" set I can use outdoors in a rougher environment. Better to trash a $13 set of IEMs vs. $89.
wink.gif

Anyway, that's my story, and I'll stick to it!

I am e-mailing Grado about replacement ear tips--I want to get spares for the Grado, and since they also fit the Koss sets, I figure I'll be in hog heaven if I can get these tips for the cheaper Koss.

And to go back to the original topic? No, these haven't caused me ANY brain damage. I can do that on my own quite nicely, thanks.
biggrin.gif

Nov 25, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #21 of 48
Very nice report/review. I only wish I had your restraint in buying and trying, having blown through more than two dozen IEMs over the past few years. I have 4-5 very nice pair now, but my favorite phones are a 10-year-old pair of Grado SR-80s for sitting and listening at home. I actually ordered the iGi, but after a bad experience with the iGrado (horrible fit), decided to cancel. But glad they are working for you.

Nov 25, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #22 of 48
I read about the iGrado 'phones on Amazon, and they did not get good reviews there either, mainly for the construction and fit. Having tried all styles, the IEMs seemed to be most compatible with how I wanted to listen. I also have some Sony clip-ons, the Zune earbuds (horrible, and painful!), some cheaper Sennheisers that fit around the ears, and Sony MDR-V6 (my favorite of the bunch, although in need of new ear cushions). For long-term use, the iGi has been the most comfortable (or least fatiguing).

Never owned another set of Grado 'phones, but have had a few Grado phono cartridges over the years, as far back as 1980.

I did like the fact that I was able to e-mail Grado about my concerns with the sound quality, and a day or two later, got a reply that confirmed my thoughts about break-in. At least they are listening!

Nov 25, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #23 of 48
I just got back an e-mail from Grado: they mention that it can take up to 100 hours for the transducers to break in, seeing that they are stiff when first made. I'm glad I stuck it out and gave these a fair shake. They may not be my ideal, but I'm a lot happier now than when I first heard them out of the box!

Nov 26, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #24 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by mythless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well they also have the GR8 grado, or I think that's what they're called but hefty price of $300 USD. Even their portable iGrado aren't that great from what I heard. And, back to the GR8, they don't look all that spectacular from the spec sheet. Though, they could sound spectacular, who knows.

I've had several pairs of iGrados and, for what they were designed to be, they were great. The iGrado uses the same driver as the SR60, with UHPLC copper wiring, but with a minimalist shell made in China. As a sports hearphone with a behind-the-ears headband, I thought they sounded fantastic for under $50. Do they sound as good as a $700 RS-1? Nope, but for $50, they take a bite out of anything in that price range.

Nov 29, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #27 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by dongringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wasn't expecting much from Grado IEMs after reading about people's disappointment on this forum, but I had a chance today at a new, local head fi store to try them along with many other brands and models.

Upon first impression my conclusion is this:

WHAT ARE PEOPLE SMOKING? The iGi, while not the sound I was wanting/ hoping for, rivals IEMs twice the price, including the beloved REO.

and...

WHAT ARE PEOPLE SMOKING? The GR8, exactly what I was wanting/ hoping for in a Grado, rival IEMs that cost $100 more, including the beloved Westone 3.

Sure they don't look like much and they don't come with a case and a box full of accessories, but as far as quality of sound for the money, imo Grado hit the ball out of the park.

I didn't realize head-fi had a store. Also, those are some very strong (and not very nicely worded) statements for someone relatively new and with no qualitative observations to offer. How is the iGi better than the RE0 exactly? Have you heard the RE0? Care to give a head-to-head comparison?

Nov 29, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #29 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My problems were with fit more than anything else. Just not right for me.

Well, you're right about that. The sportband really doesn't have the same flexibility and accessibility as the traditional headband. I didn't like it, either. It was, however, uniquely Grado. Typically, the driver that comes with this style is about the size of quarter, if not a dime. These iGrados have the full-size driver, making the wearer look like he or she is wearing silver dollars (or those marshmallow cookies).

Nov 29, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #30 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by dongringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I called it a head fi store because it's a store that actually specializes in headphones, IEMs, ear buds, and headphone amps. They even build their own amps.

As far as the statements, I was trying to be funny, but this being the internet, I guess it didn't go over like it. Humour never does unless you use smilies.
k701smile.gif

Anyway, I must say that I only had 3 hours in the store. I did the best I could to find the sound I was looking for in an IEM. And the IEM that surprised me the most was the GR8. For some reason, I just didn't think Grado could actually pull it off, it being the Grado sound in an IEM. But they did it, at least the best they could for an IEM. Enough to make me want to buy them.

I should also say that I didn't spend more than 15 minutes with the iGi because it wasn't the sound I was looking for, but I did compare them with the REO and I thought they sounded a bit smoother, actually had more bass than the REO, but no too much. On my set up I had to bring the bass on the eq way up on the REO, something I didn't have to do on any other IEM besides the Westone 1, which I didn't like at all.

All this was done in a short amount of time and I quickly passed over the IEM's that I knew didn't have the sound I wanted, but first impressions mean something at least to me, and I thought it might to others as well.

I'm curious about a couple of statements you made. First, in what way was the iGi not the sound you were looking for? Can you describe its sound as you perceived it? Second, while I think it's great that you found a headphone supply that actually lets you try out different in-ear monitors, I'm curious about how the GR8 managed to "rival IEMs that cost $100 more, including the beloved Westone 3." Can you give us more information? For example, what other earphones did you try out? Did you listen to the TF10 or the UM3X? Did you listen to the SE530 or the ER4? What about the IE8? What about the GR8 put it above the other monitors in its price range?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back