Grado L-cushion comfort for SR225-PS500
Feb 9, 2015 at 10:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

GreenBow

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi folks. Quite often I see comments or customer reviews criticising L-cushion's comfort.

I found by accident an easy, cost free, effort free solution. Even easier than removing them and soaking them in fabric conditioner. I hope this helps some Grado users.

I remember thinking when my SR225i arrived, "OK where should the ear-cups be on the headphone legs for my fit".

First time I put them I had them on minimum length pulled out on the earphone legs. They fit perfectly and very comfortable even for longer listening. For some reason I slid the earphones down the bracket legs a little. (I.E. Making the headphones longer from top to bottom, and the earphone lower down my ear.) After a while I got uncomfortable and moved them more. Uncomfortable moved them more. The pain was unbearable sometimes and I was ready to stop wearing them forever at this point. Then luckily I remembered I liked them at first for comfort and pushed the earphones back up the legs. Perfect! Absolute comfort. You just have to find your right place.

I prefer them over the S-cushion for two reasons. One they are considerably cooler. The SR125i had me with hot ears, which made my ears kind of greasy feeling. Secondly they are comfortable for much longer than the S-cushions. The S-pads pressed evenly across my ears and that got to hurting after a while. The L-pads fit around my ears, only really connecting with my ears at the very top and bottom. Genuinely I have worn these pain free while co-op gaming for eight hours solid. They must be the comfyest headphones ever made. Circumaural phones with padding for example make you ears hot. I would not want that.

Feb 21, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #3 of 5
the generally accepted "better" position is a bit down and forward.  Usually it helps to spread and open up the image / soundstage, as opposed to having your ears fall inside the cups.  I go back and forth.  If my ears get sore one way then I shift it over the other direction, although I don't like the feeling of my ears touching the cheese-cloth screens.  As a glasses wearer L-cush pads are pretty brutal at the top area of my ears where my glasses hook around the top.  Thankfully the Zonk G and S pads for me are so comfy.

Feb 21, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #4 of 5
I wear glasses. I puts the phones on first. Then sit the arms of the glasses hooked over the top of the cushions. (Rather than tucked in behind them.) The lenses are not perfectly vertical as they should be. However the image doesn't change and it doesn't cause eye-strain.

As for position. I think my driver sits over the ear canal. If I shift the ear-cup around it tells me that I already have them in the best acoustic position. (I 'think' it's pretty much where your diagram says to wear them.)

I am a fan much more of the L-cushion though, rather than the S-cushion. I find the S gets hot after a longer time wearing. It makes me have to wipe my ears. The L is cool all the way, hours and hours later. Plus much more comfortable. It's not that the S is uncomfortable, it's that it applies pressure across the pinna. Only stretching the headband relieves that and I was nervous about mis-shaping the headband when I had SR125i.

Mar 29, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #5 of 5
  the generally accepted "better" position is a bit down and forward.  Usually it helps to spread and open up the image / soundstage, as opposed to having your ears fall inside the cups.  I go back and forth.  If my ears get sore one way then I shift it over the other direction, although I don't like the feeling of my ears touching the cheese-cloth screens.  As a glasses wearer L-cush pads are pretty brutal at the top area of my ears where my glasses hook around the top.  Thankfully the Zonk G and S pads for me are so comfy.

I completely agree with this statement the headphone put them further and further down, so the sound is even more balanced

Users who are viewing this thread

Back