Grado Labs RS-2 Pictorial [56k warning]
May 15, 2007 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

milkpowder

Headphoneus Supremus
Received them today. Decided to do a woody showdown (American, late-21st Century vs English, early-19th Century) between two of my passions. I only managed to take seven vaguely decent photos
frown.gif
Anyway, wish you happy woody day.

p1060744jpgxn7.jpg

p1060749jpgaz1.jpg

p1060757jpgrt6.jpg

p1060796jpgje9.jpg

p1060799jpgvv1.jpg

p1060819jpgsl3.jpg

p1060846jpgsm2.jpg

May 15, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #12 of 35
anyone knows how much a used RS-2 go nowadays?

May 15, 2007 at 6:33 AM Post #13 of 35
used rs-2s seem to go for ~$350-375, give or take a bit. they don't come up all that often on the fs forum. it's quite a nice can actually with a sound that is perhaps closer to the alessandro ms-pro than the rs-1 - a good thing imo.

May 15, 2007 at 9:14 AM Post #14 of 35
Wow, good looking pair you got there. Love those stripes going on the wood grain.

Here's a crappy shot of my uglier pair. It's about one year old and obviously has much lighter color than yours.

RS2_800.jpg

May 15, 2007 at 10:38 AM Post #15 of 35
Mine is the dark woody version (S/N 531). That said, the wood changes colour depending on the angle and type of lighting. The only thing I'm not too happy about is the cheap feeling headband! The leather doesn't feel or smell like leather
mad.gif
I do like the grain of the wood though. It's pretty classy
biggrin.gif
Is there any way one could revarnish the wood to make them look even darker coloured/glossier? I know varnish affects the sound of a violin. I wonder if it will have the same affect on a pair of headphones seeing the chambers don't really have the same function.

daveDerek, I personally paid $390 + shipping. I'm seeing them sold for around $385 these days so I paid on the high side. They do sell for $350, but that's quite rare. Finding a low S/N pair for sale is rare enough
wink.gif

Is it worth upgrading to the RS-1? I'm also kinda considering having them recabled by Drew to 1. tame the highs a bit and 2. shorten & reterminate cable for potential portable use. I'm reluctant to do so because it's expensive and according to many, the RS-2 cable is already of very high quality therefore a recable may not yield obvious changes/improvements. The same money is probably better spent on a Millet Hybrid... or a better camera. My auto-focus-only point and shoot is a bit temperamental at times.

One more thing: There is still a hint of "late-friday" on these dark mahogany RS-2s... Apart from the odd dents caused by previous owners, the inside edge of the cups aren't as immaculately honed I'd expect a 500 buck headphone to loook. There's even a very slight chip on the inside of one of the cups no doubt caused by the craftsman. There's no way someone else could've done it after the assembly without actually taking a screwdriver or something and intentionally screwing around. Luckily, it's relatively minor and not detrimental to the overall beauty of the headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back