Grado Modders Go Ypsilon (Elleven Acoustica drivers and builds thread)
Jan 3, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #17 of 722

LOL...as I hit submit I wondered "...maybe he has no hair?"

LMAO, you hit the nail on the (bald) head
tongue.gif

Jan 3, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #18 of 722
  Can't wait for someone to compare these with v6 magnums. 

...soon, soon...

I have the cups and drivers for a V6 build at Rhydon's specs, and the cups and drivers for the Ypsilon build...just waiting on the cables for both.

Jan 3, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #19 of 722

...soon, soon...

I have the cups and drivers for a V6 build at Rhydon's specs, and the cups and drivers for the Ypsilon build...just waiting on the cables for both.

Exciting. I wander if it's a difference of sound signature of better drivers. 

Jan 3, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #20 of 722

Exciting. I wander if it's a difference of sound signature of better drivers. 

I think its the former. I spoke to a gent named Chris at Elleven via email, and he specifically stated, when I was asking about the drivers, they are tuned for neutrality.

Jan 3, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #21 of 722

I think its the former. I spoke to a gent named Chris at Elleven via email, and he specifically stated, when I was asking about the drivers, they are tuned for neutrality.

I found the new V6 pretty neutral in the mids and treble but slightly bumped in the bass.  I wonder if the Elleven is more neutral in the bass. 

Jan 4, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #22 of 722

I found the new V6 pretty neutral in the mids and treble but slightly bumped in the bass.  I wonder if the Elleven is more neutral in the bass. 

I haven't listen to the V6 but compared to V5 the Ypsilons are more neutral, no midbass hump, no "bleeding" of bass into the midrange and more "open" sounding.

Jan 4, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #23 of 722

I haven't listen to the V6 but compared to V5 the Ypsilons are more neutral, no midbass hump, no "bleeding" of bass into the midrange and more "open" sounding.

How do the mids compare? Warm, full, bright, thin?
And which would you say is more detailed? 

Jan 4, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #25 of 722
Thanks for your impressions.
Sounds like Flats may also work well with them (like the V6). 

Jan 5, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #27 of 722
what!@#%%%?? a mature natural reference sounding grado design? A creature like this should not even be discussed on the headfi site but......it is intriguing. Extended bass, sans mid bass hump, smooth but detailed top end? sounds about right to me. I need to find the site to order a pair just waiting for fleas' sonic impressions

Jan 5, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #28 of 722
  what!@#%%%?? a mature natural reference sounding grado design? A creature like this should not even be discussed on the headfi site but......it is intriguing. Extended bass, sans mid bass hump, smooth but detailed top end? sounds about right to me. I need to find the site to order a pair just waiting for fleas' sonic impressions

I almost alerted you to that post but thought it best to let you find your way to it and get excited. Sounds right up your alley :)

Jan 5, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #29 of 722
a more resolved RS1 is surely right up my alley. To increase resolution without losing that RS snap-dynamics is the target for me......as you guys make cups for the driver, and if your favorite grado style pnone is the RS series,  keep i mind what made the grado RS 1 so great. That natural dynamics. No other phone gets that right for traditional instruments imo. And this one statement made by a reviewer is key:

"Grado's RS1 has been able to utilize the natural resonance of wood to produce - in our humble opinion - the finest headphones"......
 Kenny Booras / Industry magazine

So if one makes the cup inert and/or isolates the driver from the cup, one is not utilizing the cup and is not taking advantage of its natural tendency to resonate. The idea is to use resonance against itself to result in a driver that can evacuate vibrations quickly to yield a driver that does not get overloaded with built up resonance. Again this is only for those who are aiming at a reference RS1 type of sound signature and primarily listens to traditonal music. Hump and slap and RS series grado do not gotogether . a sennheiser or planar is much better for digital sounds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back