Grado PS-1000: An Evolving Review
May 9, 2010 at 12:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 150

Bilavideo

Caution: Incomplete trades.
DAY 1

I just got these eight hours ago.  They've had maybe three hours of burn-in so far.  At this point, they're a little sibilant off an unamped iPod, enough for me to switch the EQ to Bass Boost.  Off my M^3 with STEPS, they sound fine, with loads of bass.  Compared to my HD800, they're very mid-present, much more than I'd expected.  They have a bass hump reminiscent of the GS1000 but less pronounced while the recessed mids of the GS1000 have been brought closer to the RS1.  

When I A/B'd them with my HD800, what first struck me was how much louder they were.  The PS1000s have that familiar 32-ohm impedence compared to the HD800's 300.  Neither phone gives its all off an unamped iPod but the Grados drive better.  On the other hand, the mids came off as much more in-your-face, much more aggressive than the HD800, which seemed to provide a lot more space.

As I continued listening with them, I realized that part of my initial reaction had to do with a disconnect between my expectations and what these cans now seem designed to accomplish.  The prominent mids took me by surprise.  After using the GS1000s, and concluding that the mids in those cans were too recessed for my blood (I used to remove the jumbo/salad-bowl pads and wear them with bowls), I was surprised to find so much of the midrange blaring at me.  It was as if I'd gone to the trouble of buying a metal GS1000 only to end up with the sound of SR-325i.  

I switched out the pads for bowls and then flats, to see what difference they would make, particularly for running them off an unamped iPod.  I got thumpier bass but then missed the highs that come from the HF extension of the salad bowls.  

Coming back to them, I realized - in my heart - what I'd heard others speak of in other threads: Grado isn't going backward, to the bowls and flats of yesteryear.  Having found improvements in comfort and soundstage with the salad bowls, Grado has retweaked the drivers to play better in such an environment.  

This headphone's mission is to give you the same "Grado house sound" of the flats and bowls, but with more soundstage.  Where the GS1000 pushed for "thump and space," the PS1000 reaches for "balance."  The thump is there, just not as prominently as with the GS1000.  The recessed mids have been re-tweaked.  

For those who preferred the laid-back sound of the GS1000, this is a step back in "refinement."  But for those who thought the GS1000 was less refined (because it buried the high-mids), this is a chance to bring a more classic Grado sound to the larger soundstage of the G-Cush pads.  

After associating the big pads with a more laid-back presentation, it took me some time to appreciate the attempt here to re-calibrate the balance between bass, mids and treble.

Dropping down to bowls, then flats, I captured more bass but missed the HF, a fact that became even clearer when I returned to the jumbo/salad bowls and rediscovered the airiness they provide.  What proved gratifying was the realization that I wasn't giving up mids to get that air.  To my surprise, I started hearing details buried in the bowls and flats.  Had I not heard even more new details from my amped HD800, there'd be no living with me.  

With a decent amp, there's no beating the HD800 for what it does, but when I finally got used to what these PS1000s are doing, I re-experienced the familiar sound of vinyl and loudspeakers.  If you stop and think about it, you'll know you're listening through headphones.  The illusion is not strong enough to fend off a direct attack.  But if you let go of yourself, a weird thing happens - at least it did with me.  

Going back to some old ELO II - specifically From the Sun to the World off of ELO II - I'd wanted to see if the violin parts, buried by the bass thump of the GS1000s and HF2s, would be more prominent on these cans than on those.  To my thinking, the loss of such details was one of the tradeoffs I'd discovered (and regretted) in those cans, compared to the RS1.  

Not only were these details restored (to my delight) but, because of the greater HF dispersion of the jumbo pads, I was now hearing the kinds of details my HD800s routinely pick up.  I'm not suggesting that the PS1000s are as detailed as the HD800s but they're certainly more detailed than any of the in-production Grados I've ever heard.  

I've read posts where reviewers spoke of hearing bows pulled across strings and thought, "Well, duh.  Who doesn't?"  For the first time - at least on a Grado - I think I know what they've been raving about.  They're not talking about bowing.  They're talking about feeling the barely audible scrunch of a well-resined bow as it "bites" the string at the snap of a change in direction.  Headphones often capture the resonance but not the bite.  There's something scrumptious about that bite.  

There came a point during my listening sessions when I couldn't help but remember my switch from cassette to vinyl.  Cassette tapes were more convenient but vinyl just had so much more detail - and even on an old tube-powered console stereo, the details and warmth made for some tasty listening sessions.  This is what I'm referring to when I bring up speakers.  

I'm not saying these PS1000s sound like the very best loudspeakers but there's something in the airiness of the jumbo pads, and the corrected tonal balance, that puts me back in that room, listening to vinyl on that old tube console.  If I think about it, I know I'm listening to headphones but if I let my mind drift, I have moments when I'm back there again.

The HD800 is the first headphone I've owned to capture the wondrous details of vinyl.  It has better lower-bass extension and an amazingly rapid sound decay, revealing the silence between the notes - as well as the parallaxes between things that otherwise get meshed together.  The PS1000 is not the HD800.  For one thing, it feels much more in-your-face.  The soundstage is much more intimate, like that of an RS-1.  But there are also details in the HF, caught by the jumbo pads, that strike me as a step forward in providing a more revealing presentation.  I hear all kinds of recording, instrumental and vocal artifacts that simply wouldn't be there on the other in-production Grados.

On U2's Stranger in a Strange Land, those metronomic clicks have a percussive pop at the point of impact.  On the Rolling Stones' Miss You, Keith Richards' guitar has these periodic "whup" yelps between rhythm chords I never seemed to notice before.  On Fleetwood Mac's Landslide from Live in Boston, it's more noticeable when the picking hits a dead spot rather than a true ring (because of incomplete left-hand finger-placement near the frets).  

On James Brown's I Feel Good, you can hear the slight parallax in starts and stops in what might otherwise seem like a seamless brass section.  On The Clash's London Calling, I was surprised to hear - for the first time - that airy echo in counterpoint to the blat-blat-blat of choppy bar chords in the intro.  

Something happens, seven seconds into Elvis's Surrender, that sounds like a piece of paper sliding across a floor (It's probably not that, but it sounds like that).  On ELO's Boy Blue, there are previously-imperceptible hight-hat taps during the orchestral opening.  

On the Bee Gee's How Deep Is Your Love, there's a weird, almost-subliminal, synthesizer effect at the end of the phrasing, during the first verse, leading up to the chorus.  I didn't know it was there.  Then I had to go back over it a couple of times to realize it was a synthetic brass effect letting out a "wah" to produce, "And you come to [wah] me, on a summer [wah] breeze . . . . "

Not that things are as good as they get.  With only a few hours of burn-in complete, the sound is still a tad sibilant and the upper mids are still a bit strident.  To reach its full potential, the presentation will have to settle down and mellow out.  As I've heard audible improvements in all my Grados over time, I trust that the PS1000 will have more to offer as it settles in.  Time will tell.

May 9, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #2 of 150
Nice review, I hope to hear more impressions as the ps1000 burn in.

May 9, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #3 of 150
DAY 2

As of this moment, the PS1000s have about 24 hours of burn-in.  I'm no longer using bass boost.  The presentation is cleaner.  There was a frequency-specific buzz I would hear in the left ear when certain notes were hit in the high-mids region (I know because I repeated this experience three additional times).  I don't hear the buzz, though I'm not sure if it's because burn-in has eliminated the issue or because it was so frequency-specific.

Bass is more prominent, though it depends on the track.  Running these cans off my MacBook Pro, Nine Inch Nails' Closer thumps mightily but the presentation is still a bit bright and slightly grating.  As of last night, there was some graininess, but I'm not hearing it right now.  There's no question that the PS1000s are going to be source dependent as my experience running them through the M^3 with STEPS provided a warmer, mellower, bass-rich experience.  I've decided not to rely on my M^3 for much of comments here because I want to document what to expect from lesser sources, like a computer or iPod.  To be worth the price of having a second premium can, I would need these to be my "away" phones for mobile situations.

Green Day's Uptight sounds coherent, with good attack and thump.  The jumbo pads provide good comfort and the phones' greater weight keep them seated on my head.  The leather pads also provide good comfort.  The Blues Brothers' live rendition of Flip Flop & Fly doesn't lack for dynamics but the tonal balance remains a tad on the bright side.

I'll post more info as it becomes available.

May 9, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #6 of 150

Quote:
So, if I may overcondense and gloss over details, it's like a further refined high-end reference series (RS-1) overall with the added bonus of additional space and headstage?

It could be.  Right now, it's still grainy.  Burn-in hasn't yet resolved these issues.  But Grado must have been pushing in that direction.  He had the RS1, which was the ultimate expression of mahogany splendor in bowl pads.  It still had the comfort issues and soundstage issues of every Grado before it - including the famed PS1 and HP1000 which, for all they got right, still got low marks for comfort and soundstage.  

Grado "improved" the situation with the GS1000 whose jumbo pads widened the soundstage and fixed the comfort issue.  But in the process, the mids got left behind.  This was not an accident.  Grado meant to recess the mids to produce a "more refined" presentation.  But for many, this wasn't "improved."  It was a right-turn.  The debate that followed was much like that between the Sennheiser faithful when the HD600 was succeeded by the HD650.  Grado had produced a more laid-back (Senn-like) Grado, which pleased some and annoyed others.

I owned a GS1000 and found myself among the annoyed.  Grado's mids are its bread and butter.  Depending on who you talk to, reducing the mids either "refined" the presentation or numbed it out.  I was among those who felt musically lobotomized.  I blamed the jumbos.

That may be why I was taken off guard when I popped on the PS1000 and heard the return of those non-jumbo mids.  I was expecting something closer to the direction of the GS1000.  Team Grado has found a way to tweak the level of the mids so that you hear them as loudly with the jumbos as you'd hear them on the non-jumbo Grados.  (That may be why the HF1 sounds, to some, as if it's missing high mids - with its bowl pads.  If it really is a "baby PS1000," the use of bowls over jumbos may be affecting HF extension.)

Cranking up the mids makes the PS1000 an RS1 with jumbos.  Those who liked the GS1000 strategy of recessing the mids will be immediately turned off by the "in your face" sound of the PS1000.  In fact, if you've gotten used to the jumbos, you may feel like the victim of a bee attack.  On the other hand, if you were one of those who found the GS1000 so laid back they made you want to just find a cool place to lie down and snooze, the PS1000 is the cavalry on its way.  You're wearing jumbos but your ears feel back in the thick of it.  You've just left nosebleed for that premium seat down by the band.

So what, besides comfort, is the benefit of that?  Aren't you back where you were before?  Yes and no.  With respect to the mids, you can't have it both way.  You either like your mids recessed (GS1000 style) or front-and-center (in the style of the RS-1).  But there's definitely a difference between bowls and jumbos.  If I and others raised an angry finger at the jumbos, it was because of the effect these pads were having on a presentation designed for smaller pads.  Some of us wanted the pads to fit the presentation.  Grado has apparently decided to fit the presentation to the pads.

With smaller pads, you don't just lose comfort; you lose sound.  Bass punch is more efficient but HF extension is muted or at least rolled off.  Despite all the complaints of "grating Grados" because of high-mid and early-treble peaks, you lose some of that treble bite, a kind of friendly sibilance that gives the music more presence.  The music sounds "safer" but not as "edgy."  It's like the difference between silk tweeters and aluminum.

The PS1000 recalibrates the tonal balance, specifically with the jumbo pads in mind.  The idea is to recapture the proportions that existed at the level of Grado's best non-jumbo cans, like the RS1.  Right now, as I listen to the PS1000 unamped, I'm hearing the good, the bad and the ugly.  The mids are back, and the bite is worth a pair of jumbo pads.  The thumpy bass of the GS1000 has been scaled back somewhat, so the presentation is more balanced than the EQ Smile of the GS1k.  Things are still grainy, however, and I think the presentation still needs more burn-in.  Unamped, the presentation is still too bright for my tastes and I can easily see how Headfiers I've come to respect have walked away thinking Grado has created a Frankenphone.

Whether it will get better or not, time will tell.  At this point, however, I'm only about 26 hours into burn-in, which is still pretty early in the process.  I can tell you that I've hooked these up to the M^3 and it definitely makes a difference.  Despite the 32 ohm rating for the drivers, these cans may be ultimately amp-dependent, that is, if you want their full warmth and bass.

May 9, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #8 of 150
i was rather dissapointed with them. agreeing with some that the dt-880 pro was better in many ways. somewhere after 500 hours all that changed. i'd say they are the headphone equivelent of my sf guarneri memento's. which are my favorite speakers. i have much higher end speakers and headphones on hand. these are my favorites though. both the sf's and ps1k took over 500 hours of burn in to really amaze me. good things obviously improve with age.

i would not run those all day trying to burn them in! that is the number one way to blow them. i got an early pair of the ps1k so it's been well over a year now i think. i did not run them constantly trying to burn them in(the 2nd pair, first pair blew from accelerated burn in). i have run them about 6-8 hours a day usually. at one point they had bad "grattle". just a phase they went through. it went away thankfully.

my ps1k is pretty much the only headphone i listen to. sometimes the he90/hev90 gives me odd looks and i have to give him a little attention though lol. i have not even plugged in the hd800 in over 6 months.

music_man

May 9, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #9 of 150
Great review and thank you!  

I'm still trying to decide whether to get the PS-1000s or go in a completely different direction.  Considering how much they cost, I almost could get a great DAC and an great headphone (other than PS1000).

May 9, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #10 of 150
I need to stop reading reviews of these cans, I almost pulled the trigger 2. Luckly I have a smart wallet that keeps running away. Defiantly going to be one of my next 2 cans that I will get.

May 9, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #11 of 150
Bill

One question - how do the PS1000 sound with piano compared to GS1000 (which I believe you have or had)?  I absolutely loved the balance of piano - say Glenn Gould - on the GS1000; whereas I find piano rather unlistenable (with all the wierd volume abberations for certain keys/notes) on the HF-2.  I'm trying to ascertain whether the bumped up midrange on the PS1000 would be have such a deleterious effect similar to the HF-2 (or all other Grado's for that matter)

May 11, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #12 of 150
Quote:
Bill

One question - how do the PS1000 sound with piano compared to GS1000 (which I believe you have or had)?  I absolutely loved the balance of piano - say Glenn Gould - on the GS1000; whereas I find piano rather unlistenable (with all the wierd volume abberations for certain keys/notes) on the HF-2.  I'm trying to ascertain whether the bumped up midrange on the PS1000 would be have such a deleterious effect similar to the HF-2 (or all other Grado's for that matter)

I had this great reply where I was going to tell you that the HF2 sounds like a GS1000 with bowls, which explains both the heavier bass and the rolled-off highs.  I was going to point out that the PS1000 doesn't sound better with smaller pads, that the drivers are "tuned" to the jumbo pads.  But when listening to Glenn Gould, I experienced what you described as an "unlistenable" presentation.  Right now, the greatest challenge to these cans is piano music, with the percussion, variations in loudness, and distortions/harmonics/resonances involved.  On a lot of tracks - like Andrew Gold's Firefly - I feel completely transported.  But when I listen to straight piano tracks - whether from Thelonious Monk or Glenn Gould - there are notes that set my teeth on edge.  

I don't yet know if this is a lack of maturity in the PS1000s as I have them or if it's the shape of things to come.  It's possible that these cans need a tremendous amount of burn-in to finally settle on the right balance.  It's also possible that piano music is simply harder to get right and that the GS1000, with its recessed mids, provides a safer distance.  If it's the latter, it must be a tremendous irony since the GS1000/HF2 also gets criticized for not providing enough presence to violins.

A third possibility has to do with the focus on mids and the ease with which they can be raised or lowered on the PS1000.  Because the mids are brought to parity - from the recessed position they held with the GS1000 -  and because midrange is our primary cue regarding loudness, the PS1000s are arguably easier to set too loud or too soft.  On the GS1000, with its emphasis on the "presence" frequencies at the top and bottom of the scale, and recessed mids, changes in volume affect mids last.  This makes changes in volume less direct on the GS1000 and more direct on the PS1000.

I'm hoping that, with time, the midrange will be more restrained and more polished, making piano music more euphonic.  One thing I have noticed, when comparing piano tracks, is the difference between straight piano music and piano music that is mixed in with other instruments.  Where the piano is balanced against other instruments, I don't hear the "piano key lottery."  It's when the only instrument present is the piano.  I think that's because the loudness is being set against other piano keys - and the differences in tonality and harmonics vary so greatly.  The age of the recording also seems to make a difference.  

One thing I can say about the PS1000 and piano tracks is the sheer amount of information provided.  I hear the attack, the ring, the release of the key and the pedals, both when they're depressed and when they're released.  I hear the muffling of notes and the mechanical knock of the pedal that muted them.  I hear the buzz of wires hammered too hard.  I hear the tape hiss.  Sometimes, I hear the breathing.  On some tracks, Thelonious Monk gurgles.

May 11, 2010 at 6:35 AM Post #14 of 150
great review bilavideo,congratz on the PS10000!    me so envy...
bigsmile_face.gif

May 11, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #15 of 150
Wonderful review!. I put the large salad bowls on my HF-2 and its sound falls somewhere between the GS1000 (which I used to own) and the PS1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back