Grado ps1000 headphones - what is the best extension cable to use? Thank you
Jun 29, 2010 at 10:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

quantumparticle

New Head-Fier
I need a longer cable for the ps1000 headphones.
(a) Should I have the grado cable changed, or
(b) cheaper, what is the best extension cable to buy?
I need a total length of 10 feet.

Thanks for your help

Jun 29, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #2 of 7
If you want a longer cable to always be on the headphones, you should re-cable rather than use an extension (i.e. only use an extension if it's for occasional use). What's "best" depends on synergy with your other components, what type of music you like to listen to, etc.

Grados are hard to DIY recable, because the wood housing is glued together. Moon Audio has its aftermarket cables installed at the Grado factory, so warranty stays intact.

Jun 29, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #3 of 7
How about just use Grado extension cable?
http://www.headphone.com/accessories/cables/grado-headphone-extension-cable-15ft.php

Jun 29, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #5 of 7
Sure, the Grado extension is OK, but adding that 15 footer to the stock cable, the OP would have over 20 feet of cable to deal with (coil up, get in the way, trip over, etc.), when all he was looking for is a total of 10 feet of cable.

Jun 29, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #6 of 7
I don't see any problem with that.
Grado cable is light, durable, and easy to curl.  (not to mention the reasonable price..)
There is no stiff covering or net covering (may causing rubbing noise) on it.

Quote:
Sure, the Grado extension is OK, but adding that 15 footer to the stock cable, the OP would have over 20 feet of cable to deal with (coil up, get in the way, trip over, etc.), when all he was looking for is a total of 10 feet of cable.

Jun 30, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #7 of 7
I actually did critical listening with the Grado extension cord (I commented in the PS1000 Evolving Review thread) and it sounded
better than some other extensions I have, and I think the same as w/o the extension, which actually surprised me, as when
I had Stax Omegas, the Stax extension had a definite negative affect, making things sound weak and recessed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back