Grado PS1000, PS500 and V4 Magnum.
Jun 13, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #2 of 6
I'd go with the PS500's - they are superb... and... they're the best value.

Not enough difference between those and the PS1000's to justify the huge price difference.  Though, I suppose... IF... you've got the "money to burn" - why not?

Regarding the Magnums, the after-market is not strong enough to risk the investment.  

Jun 13, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #3 of 6
I'd go with the PS500's - they are superb... and... they're the best value.

Not enough difference between those and the PS1000's to justify the huge price difference.  Though, I suppose... IF... you've got the "money to burn" - why not?

Regarding the Magnums, the after-market is not strong enough to risk the investment.  

So you do think that, between PS1000 and T1, the PS1000 is the best headphone? Would you, please, care to comment about the differences? Have you heard both of them?

And thanks.

PS: What about the PS500 with Bagel/Jumbo pads? Anyways, worth it or not, you DO state that the PS1000 is THE Grado best headphone, is that right?

Jun 13, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #4 of 6
I'm not familiar with the Magnums,but i've owend the 500 and now have the 1000,and as much as i liked the 500 the 1000 are in my opinion,clearly superior,so if you don't intend to buy the 1000,do yourself a favor and don't listen to them,these things are addictive.

As for the differences between the 500 and 1000,i'd say that both have good bass extension,altough the 1000 is a bit better controlled,the mids on the 500 are on the dark side wich gives them a certain warmth, wich altough unnatural,can sound appealing to some,the 1000 mids are very accurate and remind me of the RS1i in that regard,the treble on the 500 is not as extended or airy as the 1000,and last but not least,the soundstage of the 1000 is wider and deeper than the 500.

I still believe that the SR-80i and the PS-500 are THE best buys among the current Grado line,but there's a reason why the 1000 costs more than the 500,it's a superior headphone,now,as for the price difference,only you'll know if it's worth it,and regarding the comment of a previous poster about having money to burn,i don't agree,if there wouldn't be any significant differences between the two,than that comment would be justified,but i can assure you that this is not the case.

Jun 13, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #6 of 6
If you really want a thrill... get yourself some PS500's and drive them with a Millett MiniMax - "you won't be lookin' back."  Of course that assumes a great source (e.g.  Marantz SA8001, etc.).  

But... then... almost any phones sound superb with that set up!  

My "new version" modified Senn HD580's sound "World-Class" with it also - very Gradoish!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back