Grado PS2000e Loaner Program @ TTVJAudio.com
Oct 6, 2017 at 5:52 AM Post #76 of 164
Thanks for your comments, @joseph69 . How does the PS2000e sound compare to that of your Joseph Grado HP1000/HP2? Can you tell us what chain you used to drive them? Thanks!

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #77 of 164
Thanks for your comments, @joseph69 . How does the PS2000e sound compare to that of your Joseph Grado HP1000/HP2? Can you tell us what chain you used to drive them? Thanks!
I used my MBP w/Roon>ultraRendu w/LPS-1>KTE SU-1>KTE Spring>GS-X mk2, which gave me the opportunity to have both headphones plugged in at the same time for a quick change over with just a slight volume adjustment between the 2. The only headphone I compared the PS2Ke with was my PS1K. I will say that the PS2Ke was more neutral sounding like the HP1000, though. As I mentioned, the 2 biggest improvements that I found in the PS2Ke were the upper frequencies and the lateral imaging, again, which I have obtained by balancing my PS1K.

If I didn't already own the PS1K I would love to own the PS2Ke, that's how great sounding they are regardless of the couple of cons I wrote about them because no headphone is perfect, of course. My biggest issue with the PS2Ke is their cost...definitely not their sound. I feel Grado just added an additional $1100.00 (SE) and $1270.00 (XLR) out of greed which just doesn't sit right with me, especially being a good customer of theirs for the past 5yrs (as far as I'm concerned).

I totally understand Grado is in the business to make money, but come on, Grado should have totally redesigned the PS2Ke at the cost of $3K+/- as far as I'm concerned. John, if these were a couple of hundred dollars more than the PS1Ke (which are still available at $1695.00) they would have been ordered already before I sent the loaner to the next in line, that's how much I liked them but I'm not being taken advantage of, sorry. Just look at the cost between the PS1Ke and the PS2Ke, it's ridiculous too me.

Oct 6, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #78 of 164
i see... so their biggest contender for ps2000e is their own previous flagship :D

did you try ps2000e on balance?

Oct 6, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #80 of 164
I'd love to hear some more to how the PS2000e differs from the PS1000e, which I own. I am interested in the new reference but where I live (Stockholm, Sweden) I won't find any retailer with a demo.

On the one hand, it might be that Grado has hit some kind of limit with their driver designs already in the PS1000/e. On the other. it think it might be something to the PS2000e that might take a bit of time to discover but that sets it apart, as this review indicates: https://www.kitguru.net/tech-news/f...00e-headphones-review-the-2017-2700-flagship/

Oct 8, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #83 of 164
Just for the record, mypreference was my PS1000 (balanced) due to their mid-range sounding much more full bodied with rich emotion and soul.

I loved the PS2000e when I had them, and preferred them to my GS2000e. That said, I've never listened to the PS1000e, and based on your review, I'm thinking I should. Sounds like I would very much like them.

Oct 8, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #84 of 164
I loved the PS2000e when I had them, and preferred them to my GS2000e. That said, I've never listened to the PS1000e, and based on your review, I'm thinking I should. Sounds like I would very much like them.
I loved the PS2Ke very much as well. Although I never heard the GS2Ke I've had both the GS1Ki/e and they just weren't for me.

Oct 14, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #86 of 164
Greetings all! Sorry for the delay in reporting back on the PS2Ke, so without furthur ado, here's my impressions.

The tonal balance of the Ps2000e is not what I would call neutral. To me the higher midrange sounds emphasized, which at higher volumes I found fatiguing at times. The lower midrange could use a touch of warmth. Mid bass is very nicely done, maybe a tad bit north of neutral I would say. Much like all grados the bass doesn't go very low, these are definitely not for bass heads. Bass is heard not felt, very good/clean bass that can be heard. I'm able to distinguish drums sounds and bass notes from one another. Good tone/texture, good resolution. Like most Grados I find the Ps2ke very transparent (compared to all other headphones I have heard). Very open sounding.

Treble is balanced, not sharp, not missing(nor recessed)just not overly emphazised. Cymbals sound extended, airy, delicate when it calls for it.

Mids: high mids are emphasized, lower mids could use a bit of warmth. vocals are not recessed

Stage: much better sense of depth. Ps1k sounds 2d while Ps2ke 3D. Soundstage is somewhat loose. Ps2ke much better separation (due to higher resolution).

Physically I found the Ps2ke a bit more annoying than my Ps1k to wear. The cables are too damn heavy and the wider headband doesn't help much. I would suggest Grado adds more padding to go along with the wider headband for better stability and weight distribution. As far as looks go, I personally prefer chrome to the smoke chrome.

While I think the Ps2000e is truly a great headphone, I do not like the fact that it is an additional $1000 from the previous flagship.

A huge thanks to @Todd for letting me demo his pair of these truly wonderful headphones in my own home, I really appreciate it!

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #87 of 164
^ I actually got to hear them today and my impressions are a bit different from yours. First off, being Grado headphones, a flat FR response is not what I was expecting; though I have to say that these are the "flattest" I've heard. The two things that really impressed me was the comfort and how the new headband balanced the weight better than the PS1000/e headphones and the sound staging was likely the most holographic I've come across on Grado headphones. I really liked them and I'm glad I got to finally hear them.

Oct 15, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #88 of 164
Yes Sir, I definitely don't go to Grados for a flat response, I go to them for pure musical enjoyment! I do agree that they are the probably one of the flattest modern Grados I've heard, the flattest being an old sr325 with the Joseph Grado "black star" drivers that I briefly owned.

As far as comfort, although not a fair fight, my ps1k has an old J$ (jmoney) headband which is about the same width as the ps2ke's but also more thickness which is perfect for the heavy ps1k.

Staging is simply on another for Grado, period. It took what the e series did over the old series and took it much further. To me this was one of the biggest draws of the ps2ke.

Just to be clear guy's, I don't know how I came across on my impressions but I definitely do like them very much and I would take it over the Focal Utopia as I found it more engaging and more in line with my personal tastes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back