Grado SR225i VS AD900 (For Metal)
Feb 12, 2012 at 9:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Warpig17

New Head-Fier
I'm planning on getting a new set of headphones and I was wondering which of these would be best for death metal. Unfortunately I'm not able to test out these cans in any stores nearby so I'm hoping anyone who has alot of experience with both of these can help me out.  

I was looking into the Sennheiser HD 598 but I figured the warm, laid back Sennheiser style might not transfer well to the death metal I listen to. Then I started looking at Grados and I heard they're some of the best for rock so I began leaning to the SR225i but I saw someone on this fourm say their AD900 blew them out of the water in every way.

These two are pretty much the same price wise so is there a clear winner? I need it to also play progressive rock well which has acoustic guitars and clean vocals.

Feb 14, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #2 of 14
Grado here would be the clear winner no doubt, these headphones are excellent for your type of music and tehy have a lot of bass however they do have problems with comfortibilty but its easily solved  with new ear pads while the AD900 have a more wider soundstage and a lot more comfortable they heavily lack in bass but they're very nice on highs. Both have a nice midrange.

Feb 14, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #3 of 14
I've owned (to name a few) the SR225i, ad900, MS2i and MS Pro, currently have the ad900 and ms2i. They're my 2 favourite cans for metal.

I listen to about 75% metal, for me the MS2i is the best for metal, followed by the AD900. Depends what size soundstage you want, I think a smaller soundstage works better for metal hence the MS2i preference. MS2 has a bit more bass.

225i was too shrill in the highs for me, had to sell. MS Pro didn't do well with metal for me, I found them even more fatiguing than the MS2. AD900 has a deep bass, guitars and vocals sound great on them.

If it was a choice between those 2 I would go with the ad900 for sure.

Feb 14, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #4 of 14
Thanks for the replies.

I think I want a slight bigger soundstage so I'm leaning towards the AD900. Choosing that over the Grado would also save me some money on buying new pads and a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter. Also it looks like the AD900 is circumaural which I prefer and if I ever need some bigger bass I have the XB-500s.

But I'm not in any rush choosing one if someone wants to weigh in.

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #5 of 14
In my experience the AD900 didn't have a deep bass even when though its burned in and amped already but they wide soundstage and comfortbility of the headphones makes them my favourite, if you're looking for a wider soundstage go for the AD900s.

Feb 16, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #6 of 14
I own both and did a A/B comparison using my E7 with lossless as I lay dying,August burns red, and Norma jean. I would also recommend the SR225i for metal. The grado are more aggressive and have a "fuller" in your head sound but is a little cluttered which gives them less detail but at the same time give it the aggressive sound. The AD900 does have more instrument separation and detail but at the cost of sounding a little distant. the bass on the grado is better suited for metal as well. Also I have to mention the grado can be a little harsh sometimes and comfort can be a issue with both depending on the person. I think both are fantastic headphones but excel in different areas so it's really about the individual person likes. Hopes this helps. 

Feb 18, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #8 of 14
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I think I'll play it safe and go with the Grados. Although the AD900 has more comfort the bass seems just too light for me. With the Grados I could maby replace the pads or if I ever man up I could do some mods.

Though it doesn't really need an amp, would pairing it with an Fiio E10 be a good match?

Feb 18, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #9 of 14
Neither one is optimal for that type of music -
Grado's high end is too intense and bass isn't powerful enough
AT's high end isn't edgy enough and bass isn't any better than the Grado's.
Also too light and airy presentation as well-stated in a post above.

But, if I had to choose between only those two, I'd go with the AT's.

Feb 18, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #10 of 14
Metal is a very difficult genre to get audio gear for, since most metal bands ruin their music through *awful* mastering to achieve the "wall of sound" effect.
I would say try to get a headphone with as much clarity and separation as possible, but make sure it also has a good midrange and bass.

Full Disclosure: I love metal, and am listening to it right now. :)

Feb 18, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #11 of 14
Personal opinion: I find the MS2i more comfortable than the AD900 (own both)

The earpads on the ad900 are irritating for me, can never quite get that 'even' feel on the fit. There is more pressure on my head than the MS2i. For supposedly one of the heavier Grado's, I still find it very comfortable with Bowl pads (added the manta headband which helps also).

I've tried a lot of headphones and MS2i are just the funnest metal headphone I've tried. That might change when I get my V4's this week ;P

Feb 18, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
Metal is a very difficult genre to get audio gear for, since most metal bands ruin their music through *awful* mastering to achieve the "wall of sound" effect.

True but that also means metal heads don't have to upgrade as far so it's easier on the wallet!
bigsmile_face.gif

The MS2i sounds awesome but unfortunately it's about $100 over-budget.
frown.gif

Feb 19, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #14 of 14

Quote:

225i was too shrill in the highs for me, had to sell. MS Pro didn't do well with metal for me, I found them even more fatiguing than the MS2. AD900 has a deep bass, guitars and vocals sound great on them.

I find my SR225is to have smooth highs... Or maybe that's because I find myself comparing it to the SR325i a lot...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back