Grado SR225i vs HE-400
Oct 21, 2012 at 5:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

SmettMark

100+ Head-Fier
I'm currently looking for my first open headphone. I listen primarily to rock and metal, which in this case many people recommend grado. However, from what I've read, grado seems to be a wall of sound with no depth and such. I am just afraid it won't be refined enough for me. Many people recommend the HE-400 for rock/metal as well, and it just seems a lot more refined than the grado, plus it has a much better bass and a fantastic seperation. so between these two, which one do you overall enjoy the most when listing to rock/metal?

Oct 21, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #3 of 24
Yes, the headphones really represent polar opposites on the headphone lineup.  Grado, provided the sound that captured my attention and drew me into the headphone scene.  Then, there were the options such as wooden cups as well as other options came along to include the Magnum drivers.  I was quite happy with the headphones and what Grado offered.  Then, I started to go forward with trying out other brands and types of headphones.  Along the line, came the HE-400s, and I was really taken in by their performance.  But, the HE-400s do have more weight to them than a typical pair of Grados.  However, if headphone size / weight do not seem to bother you, the HifiMAN should be highly considered.  However, if one needs a more compact headphone with a bit less weight, one should consider some other brand or model.

However, I really love my HE-400s and they perform very well for my listening needs.  I had a chance to move a pair of Grados in my lineup again a few months ago.  But, I found that I could no longer reconnect with the sound offering of the Grados.  I had become quite accustomed to the sound offered by HifiMAN, modified Fostex, Audio Technica (A900x) as well as others.  While I am fond of Grado as that was the line that got me introduced to this hobby, I really don't have any immediate desires to have a pair of their headphones in my lineup for use.

It all depends on the person's preferences.

Oct 21, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #4 of 24
@TMRaven and wje

thanks, I understand they are polar opposites. I should try them out and see which one I prefer. Something good about grado's is that they'are really easy to mod :)

Oct 21, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #5 of 24
Don't take this the wrong way dude, but you are creating far too many threads for one headphone purchase. There is no fail safe method to finding the perfect headphone for you unless you try some out and find out what you like. Best to go with the tons of advice you've been given already and take the plunge on one. If you don't like what you hear, sell and move on.

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:56 AM Post #6 of 24
Don't take this the wrong way dude, but you are creating far too many threads for one headphone purchase. There is no fail safe method to finding the perfect headphone for you unless you try some out and find out what you like. Best to go with the tons of advice you've been given already and take the plunge on one. If you don't like what you hear, sell and move on.

Yeah, thats a good idea. I'll find a way to try them.

Oct 23, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:
Yes, the headphones really represent polar opposites on the headphone lineup.  Grado, provided the sound that captured my attention and drew me into the headphone scene.  Then, there were the options such as wooden cups as well as other options came along to include the Magnum drivers.  I was quite happy with the headphones and what Grado offered.  Then, I started to go forward with trying out other brands and types of headphones.  Along the line, came the HE-400s, and I was really taken in by their performance.  But, the HE-400s do have more weight to them than a typical pair of Grados.  However, if headphone size / weight do not seem to bother you, the HifiMAN should be highly considered.  However, if one needs a more compact headphone with a bit less weight, one should consider some other brand or model.

However, I really love my HE-400s and they perform very well for my listening needs.  I had a chance to move a pair of Grados in my lineup again a few months ago.  But, I found that I could no longer reconnect with the sound offering of the Grados.  I had become quite accustomed to the sound offered by HifiMAN, modified Fostex, Audio Technica (A900x) as well as others.  While I am fond of Grado as that was the line that got me introduced to this hobby, I really don't have any immediate desires to have a pair of their headphones in my lineup for use.

It all depends on the person's preferences.

Between the HE-500 and the HE-400, which one do you prefer for rock and metal? Do you think there is a clear audible difference between them, or are they very similar?

Oct 23, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:
The store with the grado's has a return policy, so I can return either one.

Get both and return the one you don't like?

Oct 25, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #11 of 24
Go for the HiFiMan HE-400 (or the HE-500) and an Objective2 amp. I own the Grado SR325is (one step up from the RS225i) and frankly, I think it sounds like crap! I could have peobably built a better set of headphones myself with $3 Chinese no-name drivers from digikey and a coat hanger! 

I also own the HE-400 headphones which I really like. Note though that they require a powerful headphone amplifier to work well (a cMoy won't do it). Despite not sounding quite as well as the HE-400's, I honestly think your best bang for buck if you're on a budget it a pair of Sennheiser 280 Pro's. They are high quality (price means nothing in audio) and are easy to drive.

Cheers! 

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:
Go for the HiFiMan HE-400 (or the HE-500) and an Objective2 amp. I own the Grado SR325is (one step up from the RS225i) and frankly, I think it sounds like crap! I could have peobably built a better set of headphones myself with $3 Chinese no-name drivers from digikey and a coat hanger! 

I also own the HE-400 headphones which I really like. Note though that they require a powerful headphone amplifier to work well (a cMoy won't do it). Despite not sounding quite as well as the HE-400's, I honestly think your best bang for buck if you're on a budget it a pair of Sennheiser 280 Pro's. They are high quality (price means nothing in audio) and are easy to drive.

Cheers! 

Phaaaillllllllllllllllllllll...

To OP: First of all, I'm telling you my opinions. I think the SR325is and SR225i are very different headphones. I bought the SR325is and immediately returned them for the SR225i because, even though I LOVE bright and hot treble, the SR325is was a bit TOO much and the SR225i seemed to have the perfect amount of extreme treble for my needs. With that said, no the SR325is is not "crap" in any way, in fact, it is a well loved and respected headphone in the world, especially on Head-Fi. People who post comments like the one above are very easily targeted by people like myself who actually honor Grado headphones. I think this thread has more than enough advice given; HE-400 and SR225i as polar opposites. You like aggressive signature? Try the Grado. You like laid back and a very good all-rounder? Try the HE-400. Simple as that. I have both and use them for different purposes regularly. Good Luck!

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #13 of 24
If you were choosing between these two headphones for your first purchase I think the HE-400 is a great pickup.
The comfort on the grado line's ear pads has always kept me away (after two attempts & subsequent returns), and I find grado's unique SQ to create headphones that are more specialized rather than an all-rounder.

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Phaaaillllllllllllllllllllll...

To OP: First of all, I'm telling you my opinions. I think the SR325is and SR225i are very different headphones. I bought the SR325is and immediately returned them for the SR225i because, even though I LOVE bright and hot treble, the SR325is was a bit TOO much and the SR225i seemed to have the perfect amount of extreme treble for my needs. With that said, no the SR325is is not "crap" in any way, in fact, it is a well loved and respected headphone in the world, especially on Head-Fi. People who post comments like the one above are very easily targeted by people like myself who actually honor Grado headphones. I think this thread has more than enough advice given; HE-400 and SR225i as polar opposites. You like aggressive signature? Try the Grado. You like laid back and a very good all-rounder? Try the HE-400. Simple as that. I have both and use them for different purposes regularly. Good Luck!

The SR225i are said to be the least fatiguing of the SR line, but still maintaining the energy. I can't wait to try these both out :)

@olsenn I think you disliked the sr325i because of the brightness. They are very detailed and have lots of clarity, but the treble is just piercing for some people so I can see why you disliked it lol. thanks for the help.

Oct 25, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:
The SR225i are said to be the least fatiguing of the SR line, but still maintaining the energy. I can't wait to try these both out :)

@olsenn I think you disliked the sr325i because of the brightness. They are very detailed and have lots of clarity, but the treble is just piercing for some people so I can see why you disliked it lol. thanks for the help.

Just be warned for the legendary comfort of the Grado SR225i. Both are great cans, just find the HE-400 to appeal to more of a majority while the SR225i are quite picky

Users who are viewing this thread

Back