Grado SR325 Portable amp recommendation
Jan 18, 2016 at 11:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Jbmorrey

500+ Head-Fier
Currently have the Magnum V3 modded Grado 325, I had it recalled for potable use by Peterek(looks great) and I understand that the Little Dot 1+ gets a lot of praise as a good match with its warmth. How can I bring that same kind of warmth in a portable form. I plan on using it listening in my truck, or at the office. Any recommendation are appreciated. Mine are like these without the "e" but the cable is the same.

James

Jan 19, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #2 of 12
What are you going to use as a source? If it's locally stored music you could just get a DAP (provided you don't like iTunes), since the amplifier sections on those use components you can otherwise find on stand-alone amplifiers. Look up the Fiio X3II - it also works as a DAC-HPamp when hooked up to a computer so you have access to streaming. Not sure though how much of it is "amplifier" and how much of it is "euphonic boombasticator" as you require the amplifier to intentionally distort in euphonically.

If you want to be safe about getting some euphonic distortion, there's the ALO Continental Dual Mono, which is a bit warm compared to say the Meier Stepdance.

Jan 19, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #3 of 12
What are you going to use as a source? If it's locally stored music you could just get a DAP (provided you don't like iTunes), since the amplifier sections on those use components you can otherwise find on stand-alone amplifiers. Look up the Fiio X3II - it also works as a DAC-HPamp when hooked up to a computer so you have access to streaming. Not sure though how much of it is "amplifier" and how much of it is "euphonic boombasticator" as you require the amplifier to intentionally distort in euphonically.

If you want to be safe about getting some euphonic distortion, there's the ALO Continental Dual Mono, which is a bit warm compared to say the Meier Stepdance.

My source is my iPhone, it puts out enough power alone for the Grado's but I was hoping to get something to warm up the sound signature slightly, and I have heard so many people talk about the little dot 1+ being such a good match, I was hoping to get a portable verse of having the little dot 1+ combo for my Grado's.

James

Jan 19, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

My source is my iPhone, it puts out enough power alone for the Grado's but I was hoping to get something to warm up the sound signature slightly, and I have heard so many people talk about the little dot 1+ being such a good match, I was hoping to get a portable verse of having the little dot 1+ combo for my Grado's.

The thing is the LD 1+ is a hybrid amplifier with a tube gain stage, and the closest similar topology I can think of is the ALO Continental Dual Mono at $1500. Some solid state amps have some coloration, but the one I've owned that did was an active ground CMOY, but not as much as the 1+ (it was a lot warmer than the 1+ than the HD600, ie, it had more distortion at high impedance loads - not surprising for a battery-powered amp). 

Also, if you're going to use the iPhone, you'll have to deal with different kinds of distortion off its headphone output that can just make the overall sound thinner and brighter depending on how transparent the amplifier is, so it's best to get a portable amplifier that has a DAC in it that can work with your iPhone. That said, most of these devices are solid state, and the cheapest I know that won't need special adapters (just a sync cable, and you might be able to find one that's short enough) is the Oppo HA-2, however while I haven't heard it, chances are based on the products that I have listened to, Oppo made a DAC-Amplifier, not a euphonic boombasticator. It isn't likely artificially bright, and likely percussion would have a solid "thud" to the hits, but it won't warm the whole range like a fuzzy hot coco through the ears.

Your best bet would be to get an RSA, but I don't think their DAC-HPamps are MFi-certified, so if say The Intruder works with an iPhone, it will still need an adapter. Alternately there's the Cayin C5D (not to be confused with the JDS Labs C5D) which has a slightly sweeter coloration, but it's not a lot - basically just rounding out rough edges in the treble and midrange but the overall tone is somewhat neutral.

Jan 19, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #5 of 12
Yea, I ran into the same problem before with my iPhone, all of the adapters and CCK adapter to get it to work with a DAC/amp. I guess I use the Little Dot 1+ as an example. I am just looking to warm things up slightly, my home headphones are the T1, Stax SR207, so bright is not that big of a deal. I will have to look at that oppo, I had the PM3 at one point and I still regret parting with it!!

Jan 24, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #6 of 12
Finding the Oppo ha-2 is nice, but out of my price range, trying to find a warm SS portable amp, for low impedance Grado cans, do not mind if it's out of my iPhone's headphone jack, I'm just looking for something that could warm up my Grado's slightly. I am a treble rebel, for sure, and I love the strings and guitars out of the Grado's but at times, I would prefer slightly more warmth. Any recommendations are appreciated, budget of about $100, more than happy to buy used. Thanks for the suggestions

James

Jan 24, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Finding the Oppo ha-2 is nice, but out of my price range, trying to find a warm SS portable amp, for low impedance Grado cans, do not mind if it's out of my iPhone's headphone jack, I'm just looking for something that could warm up my Grado's slightly. I am a treble rebel, for sure, and I love the strings and guitars out of the Grado's but at times, I would prefer slightly more warmth. Any recommendations are appreciated, budget of about $100, more than happy to buy used. 

The thing is the reason why I'm saying you transmit a digital signal is because the iPhones are generally neutral, but their distortion pattern may be to lean out; hooking up a high impedance amplifier input to that same output off a phone can result in the same problem, and the amplifier will just end up amplifying that same signal - as opposed to deliberately changing it, in which case instead of amplifier it would be more apt to call it a euphonic boombasticator - and therefore still give you a still thin/bright sound, but this time maybe the increased current will preserve bass hits better. It would probably be easier to achieve your goals by getting an RS2e and use the closed earpad on it, or something like the Garfield earpad cover.

However that is way over your budget even if you sell the SR325, and even then you'd likely want to have it recabled (you'd miss how easy it is to use that cable you have now vs the thick and somewhat stiff cable on a stock Grado), so you could probably try to track down an original Fiio E7. Not the E07, or E07K, just the plain E7 - that was warm enough to be easily noticeable.

Jan 24, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #8 of 12
Ok, I see what you mean, I had the Fiio E6 at one point, and I still think it's somewhere in my office, is there a big difference between the two? I do admit though, I remember dealing with the Fiio E6 and was really annoyed by the volume control, was hoping for something with a dial that would be a little easier.... But now I am just getting picky!

James

Jan 24, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #9 of 12
Ok, so the E7 look like the E07k andes( I've had that one as well, and I liked it) I searched eBay and the seller listed an E6 as an E7, so my mistake, I'll have to keep lokin' for one of those.

Jan 24, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #10 of 12

Ok, I see what you mean, I had the Fiio E6 at one point, and I still think it's somewhere in my office, is there a big difference between the two? I do admit though, I remember dealing with the Fiio E6 and was really annoyed by the volume control, was hoping for something with a dial that would be a little easier.... But now I am just getting picky!

James

The Fiio Q1 has a dial control, and if at any point you decide to use the digital input, that one works. However, from the reviews I've seen, it's supposedly more neutral than the D-Zero. You can look into that one too, but the control on it isn't a fully exposed knob (just that half-circle exposed kind of knob, forgot what it's called). 

Jan 25, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #11 of 12
So the Q1 and D-zero also share the "warm" quality, I was reading a review on the E7 and it pointed out being a great match with the 325i, so that was good to hear, I'll have to look into the other two as well. Thanks for the recommendations.

James

Jan 25, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

So the Q1 and D-zero also share the "warm" quality, I was reading a review on the E7 and it pointed out being a great match with the 325i, so that was good to hear, I'll have to look into the other two as well. Thanks for the recommendations.

I actually said,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtegeManiac /img/forum/go_quote.gif

However, from the reviews I've seen, it's (Q1) supposedly more neutral than the D-Zero

To elaborate, basically the D-Zero to my ears isn't immediately noticeably warm, but according to reviews I've come across, supposedly it is noticeably warmer. I just brought it up because you wanted a knob for $100 or less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back