Grado sr325e vs sr225e need help
Oct 12, 2015 at 10:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Madu

New Head-Fier
I am torn between these two phones,other that the mats, bsnd and freq response. Would it be worth it to spend the extra 95$ on the 325s orare the 225e close enough to warrent saving the money.
Or if you can recommend a similar alternative, feel free.

Oct 12, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #2 of 21
I have tried just about every Grado out there and am not a huge fan, but I will say they almost all sound the same if you use the same earcups. The thick, cushy, S-Cushion earcups are the most comfortable and happen to extend the bass over the other bowl pads. I have tried everything from the SR-60 to the RS-1i and hardly notice any difference between any of the models. If you really want a Grado go with the SR-80i. They sound just like the others, using the same pads of course, but the drivers are matched more closely for channel balance over the SR-60.

I even received a pair of Grado RS-1's that had unfinished wood on them, as in slivers, no varnish, etc.  Because of this I am not a huge fan of their quality either.

What types of music do you like?
What is your budget?

Would you consider something like the noontech Zoro II HD?

Oct 12, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #3 of 21
I am torn between these two phones,other that the mats, bsnd and freq response. Would it be worth it to spend the extra 95$ on the 325s orare the 225e close enough to warrent saving the money.
Or if you can recommend a similar alternative, feel free.

Not a Grado hater, here, but the 225 is usually considered the sweet spot in the Grado lineup for price vs performance.

No offense to the other opinion, but there was a time when every Grado came with bowls except the SR-60.  There were differences that were noticeable as you went up in the lineup.

I can't argue against the lack of quality control, though.  Grado does not have a sterling record.  Still, some expect production-line, automated plastic molding with accompanying detail/finish and that's not Grado  Those people are pre-disposed to immense disappointment with a Grado from the start.

Oct 12, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #4 of 21
I have tried just about every Grado out there and am not a huge fan, but I will say they almost all sound the same if you use the same earcups. The thick, cushy, S-Cushion earcups are the most comfortable and happen to extend the bass over the other bowl pads. I have tried everything from the SR-60 to the RS-1i and hardly notice any difference between any of the models. If you really want a Grado go with the SR-80i. They sound just like the others, using the same pads of course, but the drivers are matched more closely for channel balance over the SR-60.

I even received a pair of Grado RS-1's that had unfinished wood on them, as in slivers, no varnish, etc.  Because of this I am not a huge fan of their quality either.

What is your budget?

No particular genre a lot of rock though. I tend to dip into a bit of everything. It depends on the mood.

Budgetwise, i would have to say around 300-350$

Oct 12, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #5 of 21

What is your budget?

What do you think of G-Cushions on SR225i's ?

Oct 12, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #6 of 21
Here are some graphs showing the frequency responses of various Grado headphones.  Of course they are not identical, but they are so close that the sound could be considered very close to one another.  The big differences being the pads.

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=293&graphID[]=383&graphID[]=373&graphID[]=353&

I will say that the SR-60 and SR-80 sound great with some rock and metal, but they are outclassed by many other headphones both in sound quality and measurement.

@ Sam21
I have not used the G-cushion pads which is a shame, but by the time I dealt with the unfinished wood issue I was done with Grado.

Oct 12, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #7 of 21
OK - I'm not trying to cause a flame war, but seriously - frequency plots?  If you're intending to prove that all "Grados" have a "Grado sound," I'll concede that and so will many others.  One might as well compare Sennheiser HD580/600/650 or AKG K701/702/Q701/etc./etc.  Grado is not that large of a producer to have wild variances, especially in the SR/RS line (the oldest).  Frequency response is only one type of measurement that can be applied to headphones.  I think many people typically considered refinement in sound quality as the discriminator in the traditional Grado lines.   
smily_headphones1.gif

Again, I have no argument in favor of their quality control. 

Oct 13, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #8 of 21
I agree with tomb - the biggest differences, IME, between Grado as you move up the line come in terms of increased detail and refinement. I've not heard the newest 225e, but the 225s of yester-year generally were an excellent value at their ~$200 price point, both compared to other Grado cans (there is a point of diminishing returns - I would say the RS-1 is better than the 225, but not 3.5x better), and other non-Grado cans. If price or value-for-money are serious considerations, I'd take the 225 over the 325, but if price is no object, the 325 is in the genre of "more better" assuming you jive with the Grado house sound. :)

Oct 13, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #9 of 21
My argument is why spend more if you can save money on headphones that all sound virtually identical excluding the fact that the pads shape the sound signature more than anything.

Here are the charts comparing the frequency responses using the 225 as a base and changing out the pads.  The first graphs is for the stock pads and the second shows the very large G-cushion pads.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/GradoSR225i.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/GradoSR225iGPads.pdf

I understand your point about frequency responses, but the variations on the Grado headphones I posted in the graphs are quite small considering the pads are the primary difference. The HD650 and HD800 for example have different driver sizes, resonators, and very different frequency responses...upwards of +/- 15dB. So comparing Sennheiser's HD650 to their flagship HD800 shows more variation then any of the Grado headphones. Grado on the other hand is selling the SR-60 for under $100 and RS-1 for over $600 and all that I feel you gain is the wooden earcups. The other headphones you list do sound very similar and I have owned all of them. The Grado line varies up to $500 for virtually the same sound signature.

I see no reason to spend more on a Grado, in regards to sound quality, then what the SR-80 has to offer.

P.S.

Grado was one of the first headphones that turned me onto better listening, but the fact that the design is so antiquated, the fit uncomfortable, and the lack of updating keeps me from recommending the more expensive models.

Oct 13, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #10 of 21
I agree with tomb - the biggest differences, IME, between Grado as you move up the line come in terms of increased detail and refinement. I've not heard the newest 225e, but the 225s of yester-year generally were an excellent value at their ~$200 price point, both compared to other Grado cans (there is a point of diminishing returns - I would say the RS-1 is better than the 225, but not 3.5x better), and other non-Grado cans. If price or value-for-money are serious considerations, I'd take the 225 over the 325, but if price is no object, the 325 is in the genre of "more better" assuming you jive with the Grado house sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

The bowl pads are just so uncomfortable on the 225/325 etc.

Oct 13, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

I agree with tomb - the biggest differences, IME, between Grado as you move up the line come in terms of increased detail and refinement. I've not heard the newest 225e, but the 225s of yester-year generally were an excellent value at their ~$200 price point, both compared to other Grado cans (there is a point of diminishing returns - I would say the RS-1 is better than the 225, but not 3.5x better), and other non-Grado cans. If price or value-for-money are serious considerations, I'd take the 225 over the 325, but if price is no object, the 325 is in the genre of "more better" assuming you jive with the Grado house sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

Bowls are best for most Grados.  Grado fans almost always gravitate toward the bowls.  That's one of the unique aspects of Grado headphones.

I understand that there are ears that can take the Grado bowls and ears that can't.  You're obviously in the "can't" camp.  I have a close friend who is the same way.  I'm sorry that the condition exists.  I wish it didn't.

Oct 13, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #12 of 21
Tomb was quicker on the draw responding, but I'll leave my response intact. It largely mirrors what tomb said.

My argument is why spend more if you can save money on headphones that all sound virtually identical excluding the fact that the pads shape the sound signature more than anything.

In your opinion. IMO there are more noticeable differences, and like tomb said, that's with the same pads.

Here are the charts comparing the frequency responses using the 225 as a base and changing out the pads.  The first graphs is for the stock pads and the second shows the very large G-cushion pads.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/GradoSR225i.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/GradoSR225iGPads.pdf

I understand your point about frequency responses, but the variations on the Grado headphones I posted in the graphs are quite small considering the pads are the primary difference. The HD650 and HD800 for example have different driver sizes, resonators, and very different frequency responses...upwards of +/- 15dB. So comparing Sennheiser's HD650 to their flagship HD800 shows more variation then any of the Grado headphones. Grado on the other hand is selling the SR-60 for under $100 and RS-1 for over $600 and all that I feel you gain is the wooden earcups. The other headphones you list do sound very similar and I have owned all of them. The Grado line varies up to $500 for virtually the same sound signature.

I see no reason to spend more on a Grado, in regards to sound quality, then what the SR-80 has to offer.

In your opinion. This has been beaten to death, resurrected, killed again, and repeated ad nauseum over the last 15 years. It's easier to just say that there are some people who "get" Grado and some people who don't, and it's probably safe to say you're in the "don't" category. That isn't any sort of black mark against you, your ears, your home town, whatever - it's just your opinion and your experience. It is not all-encompassing though, and where this can turn into a very nasty flame-war very quickly (and I'm speaking from past experience) is when you start over-stepping that and imposing your opinion and experience on all users and all situations. Again, not meaning to cast aspersions, it's just the way it is - not everyone will like the same things.

In your opinion. To me, bowls on a Grado make one of (if not the) most comfortable headphones on the planet; the "comfies" just kill the sound and (contrary to their name) are not as comfortable. Different strokes for different folks and the world goes 'round.

Nov 13, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #13 of 21
I'm in a similar position. I own the 225e and am thinking about buying the 325e.

What's confusing is that the 325e is generally very well recieved. (Yet like in this thread it gets criticiesd.) It's gained awards and reviews well. Actually the only negative pro-review point raised on the 325e is, whether or not you are a bass head. Many zillions of 325e owners are saying they are very happy with them.

Buying another headphone so close is not something I forsaw me doing. However I have reason to to want a second pair. In my case I would simply not buy another 225e. I don't like them quite enough. That is not a disagreement with Grado sound either. I loved both my SR60 and SR125i, with every fibre I have.

The 225e is a good headphone, but in comparison with others it's not the same excellent. If I play something with good acoustic properties and cool female vocals it's good. It has tone and timbre, and I love the vocals and enjoy the instruments. However it somehow across all musics it just doesn't sound quite complete.

Anyway round the 'what to do path' I go again, as I am considering other higher up the line Grados. The 325e still charms me a lot to buy it though, even having not heard it. As I say it reviews well and has many happy owners.

Nov 14, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #14 of 21
If I were the OP, I'd go for the 325. It's build quality is better, sound quality is better, looks nicer, AND enjoys both the little and big bowl pads. The 225, imho likes the little bowls better. For me the extra $50 would be worth all of the advantages.

Nov 15, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #15 of 21
I listened to 5 grados at a store recently (325 was top model in the display). Didn't notice much difference between 125 and 225, but noticably better sound in the 325's to my ears. I didn't even go there for Grados but was impressed and found myself checking what they're going for on Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back