Grado SR325i vs RS2 (SQ / Comfort / price-performance ratio)
Dec 8, 2007 at 5:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Mysteek

100+ Head-Fier
I tried looking around for a thread that would discuss these but I guess I'm either search-challenged or there really weren't any that were easy to find.

I'm currently using the 325i's and there is one flaw in these that I have never experienced before (I also own MS1, SR60, DT880, KSC75, the list goes on), these are horribly uncomfortable! @____@;;

But they also give the best SQ out of all the cans I own.

I was wondering if spending an extra few hundred would be worth the upgrade to RS2? What is the sound like in comparison? Is the RS2 more comfortable? (Please say yes <<; )

Dec 8, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #2 of 22
What pads are you using on the 325i? You might be able to just switch them out and get the comfort you are looking for.

Dec 8, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #4 of 22
I have the hd414 pads on my sr-60's, and they are pretty comfy to me. I also have an extra pair of the "comfy" pads that come on the sr-60. PM me and we can discuss a deal if you want them.

Dec 8, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the hd414 pads on my sr-60's, and they are pretty comfy to me. I also have an extra pair of the "comfy" pads that come on the sr-60. PM me and we can discuss a deal if you want them.

HD414 pads available from Sennheiser for a whopping cost of "Online Price $4.03" per pair.
These sound faily close to the stock Bowls but with much improved comfort for many users.

As an alternative you could get the Grado Comfy pads for $10.00 from TTVJ. These will however change the sound increasing bass but causing a more congested (and muddier) sound.

Of course you did try bending/stretching the headband as per the instructions included in the box, right?

The sr325i being metal is heavier than the other Grado phones, thus to some people causing greater discomfort. If the weight is causing your discmfort another Grado (i.e.- RS1/RS2) might be more comfy.
The RS1/RS2 also use the same Bowl pads as the SR325i, so if the pads are your problem then they will all be about the same.

Dec 8, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #6 of 22
I tried them on for a longer period of time.

I think the pads are indeed the problem. I have a pair of SR60's with the HD414 pads, and a pair of Alessandro MS1's.

Would all 3 phones be able to use the pads interchangeably?

And yes, I've bent the headband to my liking as well. The weight doesn't seem to bother me.

Dec 8, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #7 of 22
The RS-2 is more comfortable mainly because it is lighter. The SR-325i has heavy enclosures but bending the headband outwards does help towards alleviating the pressure.

Sound-wise, the RS-2 isn't quite as high energy or brash as the SR-325i. Having owned both, I would pick the RS-2 if I were to buy either pair again. The RS-2 is more refined while still sounding very interesting and involving. More importantly, it is less bright which makes them less fatiguing to listen to.

Dec 9, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #8 of 22
The 325i is THE best value phone out there, hands down. Imo it destroys everything in the same immediate price range in terms of detail, dynamics, and soundstage. They are a better value than the rs-2 and maybe even rs-1, (though they are not a better phone than the rs-1 imo).

They don't sound as in your face as the rs-1 or other grados, but they have a really nice presentation that sounds too refined to be a $275 can.

Dec 9, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #9 of 22
I got my 325i's for $230 on ebay, and yes it's probably one of the best deals out there if you are into the Grado sound. So much detail and dynamics, it's awsome. The brightness isn't as bad as everyone on here seems to make you think. I set of liberators and a few minor mods and it would be seriously challenging the higher eshelon of Grado's.

414 pads make them way more comfortable for sure.

Dec 9, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #10 of 22
Or you can buy the headphile pads, it's very expensive but you can't get better comfy pad
wink.gif

Pictures here

You can buy it on Headphile, headphone tweaks and modding, woodies, interconnects, Grado, Sennheiser, AKG, Beyer, woody and more... for 110 bucks.

Dec 9, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #11 of 22
Speaking of comfort + Grado headphones, have you seen this thread?

Seeking Grado comfort? Try my Hybrid-Bowl DIY!

I have been using these for a while now and your thread inspired me to post it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobby001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or you can buy the headphile pads, it's very expensive but you can't get better comfy pad
wink.gif

Pictures here

You can buy it on Headphile, headphone tweaks and modding, woodies, interconnects, Grado, Sennheiser, AKG, Beyer, woody and more... for 110 bucks.

SR325i + $110 = RS2
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 9, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #13 of 22
You can make those pads yourself, there have been a number of people on this board that have done it in a couple hours with basic crafts at home and beyere 770 pads.

Not only are the pads more comfy but you get a bit of added soundstage, which we all know the grado's could benefit from.

Dec 9, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #14 of 22
RS2 is more comforting because it's lighter, and the warm sound is more to my liking, i can listen to them hours without fatigue sign

Dec 9, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #15 of 22
The thing that really disappointed me with the rs-1s is the fact that they feel SO cheap. They sound great, but it feels like they costed $100. I expected more from a $600 plus can. However they are currently one of the most fun phones I have heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back