Grado Woes (looking for something more comfortable)
Apr 26, 2012 at 11:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

pevsfreedom

100+ Head-Fier
Well I love the Grado's (i've modded them to death) but I need something more comfortable. I had HD595's before which I returned (i forget why) but they were amazingly comfy!

Can anyone recommend something with a sound that's in the same ballpark? I'd want them mostly for listening to Pink Floyd LP's (and other classic rock)

Thanks.

Apr 26, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #2 of 36
The Ultrasone Pro2900, Denon D2000 are comfy and very detailed in mids, highs with good punchy bass.

Apr 27, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #8 of 36
You know, I've never had an issue with Grado comfort. I know many people have said the cans aren't very comfortable, but to me, I've never had any comfort issues.

Anyway, to you question. You could take a look at AKG K240 Studio. This was the can I got right after my Grados, and I vastly preferred them to the Grado. I think they are a great rock can, yet I enjoyed them as all-arounders too.

Apr 27, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #9 of 36
I think it depends on the shape of your ears. It took me weeks to get over the pain (I really mean PAIN) that the Grado's caused to my ears. The pads are terrible and can get abrasive against your earlobes. The biggest problem was the actual surface of the headphones touching your ears. After my first hour with them, my ears could not take wearing them anymore and even the slightest touch would cause pain to my ears. 

Now I don't feel pain anymore (or I've learned to ignore it?) but it is definitely by far the most uncomfortable headphones I know of.

Apr 27, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #11 of 36

Quote:
I like the dt990, they sound great and I can wear them all day.

What kind of stuff do you listen to? Does it reflect my musical tastes (Pink Floyd, late 60's blues/psychedelic rock) at all?

Quote:
I think it depends on the shape of your ears. It took me weeks to get over the pain (I really mean PAIN) that the Grado's caused to my ears. The pads are terrible and can get abrasive against your earlobes. The biggest problem was the actual surface of the headphones touching your ears. After my first hour with them, my ears could not take wearing them anymore and even the slightest touch would cause pain to my ears. 

Now I don't feel pain anymore (or I've learned to ignore it?) but it is definitely by far the most uncomfortable headphones I know of.

I've had them for about 2 months so I'd hope to have gotten over it by now. I won't get rid of them; I'll use my 60i's for punk/metal stuff but I need something comfortable to relax and listen to Dark Side if you know what I mean.

Quote:
You know, I've never had an issue with Grado comfort. I know many people have said the cans aren't very comfortable, but to me, I've never had any comfort issues.

Anyway, to you question. You could take a look at AKG K240 Studio. This was the can I got right after my Grados, and I vastly preferred them to the Grado. I think they are a great rock can, yet I enjoyed them as all-arounders too.

I'll check out the 240's. Were they comfy? The price is definitely right.

The foam on the grado's burns my ears to death. No matter what pads. My ears don't deal well with the foam. I've tried sock modding it for comfort which helped but it destroys the sound. 

Apr 27, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #12 of 36
I guess my three main options right now are:

Beyer 990's ($120 used)
HD595's (125 used)
or the AKG 240's (70.. which is nice)

I have a Onkyo A/V receiver that I use as my amp, so I'm covered in that regard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back