Graduating for Shure E2C. Advice, please.
Aug 6, 2009 at 5:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ajreynol

100+ Head-Fier
Topic.

I have a pair of old Shure E2C's that I'm looking to move up from. They weren't the best when I bought them, but they were good enough at the time. Before those, I had a pair of Eytomic ER6i's, which fit better with the foam (more snugly), but just couldn't reproduce the volume level of the Shure's without help.

Here's what I'd like:
  1. A pair of in-ear's that come in between $100-$220.
  2. Excellent foam ear pieces. I've found the rubber tips on all the phones I've owned before to become uncomfortable over time or make the insides of my ears itch. As a point of reference, I found the ER6i's foams were fantastic.
  3. Something fuller and richer than my E2C's (which, I'm sure, won't be even remotely difficult.
  4. Something that compliments my music collection which is heavy in bass, lows and mids (hip-hop, r&b, alternative, gospel), but doesn't get sloppy or messy in the bass.

I've read a couple of recommendations for the Victor HP-FX500's and would love to try them, but the places selling them at reasonable prices don't seem to have return policies...and I tend to hate not having that option.

Thanks in advance, gentlemen!

Aug 6, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #3 of 15
just looked the RE0's up. good price for those. are those definitely better than my old E2C's?

Also, would you recommend them over the RE1's?

Might check out the HF5's, but are those the most recommended under $200?

Aug 6, 2009 at 11:43 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajreynol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just looked the RE0's up. good price for those. are those definitely better than my old E2C's?

Also, would you recommend them over the RE1's?

Might check out the HF5's, but are those the most recommended under $200?

from what I've read, RE0 is better than RE1. RE0 is currently cheaper becasue it's on sale. RE0 supposedly has accurate bass, but not sure if it matches your music style.
I was considering getting RE0 as well, but then I realized that I am a basshead, so I ended up ordering a Monster Turbine (hasn't arrived yet). The cheapest I can find online for Turbine are ecost and pcrichard.
Both RE0 and Turbine should fit with Comply T-400 foam tips (cheapest is at skullcandy website).

Aug 6, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #5 of 15
Cool.

It's interesting because from what I've read, the RE1 has more bass. Maybe the bass you were looking for? But it's tough for me to say, obviously, because I have no way to actually hear them for myself.

So I'm pretty much down to the RE0.

In any case, I feel like I'm down the RE1/0 and Victor FX500, and Eytomic ER4P/S.

Hopefully someone with similar musical tastes that has sampled any of these might chime in.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Aug 6, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #6 of 15
I started off with the E2C's as well and then I found this site. I have purchased many iem's since. I would most definitely recommend the Sennheiser IE7's. They are going for $235 at amazon. I know it's $15 over your budget but in my opinion, they are worth it.

Aug 6, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #7 of 15
I see. And thanks for your time.

So you'd say the IE7's beat the FX500's and ER4P/S's?

Aug 6, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

I see. And thanks for your time.

So you'd say the IE7's beat the FX500's and ER4P/S's?

I have the FX500's and the ER4B's and I prefer the IE7 over both of them. The IE7 has a fuller and richer sound than the other two with better soundstage as well. If you crave detail go with the ER4 series but they won't have as much bass as the E2C. The FX500's and IE7's have more bass (not bloated or overwhelming) as compared to the E2C's.

Aug 6, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #9 of 15
thanks a ton.

so for someone who's musical taste breaks down as 50% hip-hop, 20% gospel, 10% alternative, 10% r&b, 10% jazz, you'd say:

IE7 > FX500 > ER4B's

?

If so, that narrows things down very nicely.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 6, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #10 of 15
I went from e2c's, which I don't find all that bad, to IE6's... The IE6's are better in all catagories except isolation and they leak a little bit of sound... At first it didn't bother me... but I am starting to notice it more and more lately (isolation)... Damn this cursed site, I'll probably convince myself that I need customs next.

I listen to a lot of techno and trance training for marathons, and the IE6's handles the bass very nicely, it's not sloppy like my ep630's and the like, and the treble is pretty good once they are burned in. When I first listened to them I was wondering where the treble was and the bass was a little overpowering even for me, but after a while it fell into place nicely.

The cable is AWESOME.

FYI... I hace yet to listen to a balanced Armature IEM, so take my "treble is pretty good" with a grain of salt... I probably have not heard really good treble with my limited experience...

Aug 6, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

thanks a ton.

so for someone who's musical taste breaks down as 50% hip-hop, 20% gospel, 10% alternative, 10% r&b, 10% jazz, you'd say:

IE7 > FX500 > ER4B's

?

If so, that narrows things down very nicely.
smily_headphones1.gif

Since you listen to hip-hop half of the time I would go for the IE7's. The FX500's bass will extend lower but I enjoy music better with the IE7's.

Aug 6, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by archercat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went from e2c's, which I don't find all that bad, to IE6's... The IE6's are better in all catagories except isolation and they leak a little bit of sound... At first it didn't bother me... but I am starting to notice it more and more lately (isolation)... Damn this cursed site, I'll probably convince myself that I need customs next.

I listen to a lot of techno and trance training for marathons, and the IE6's handles the bass very nicely, it's not sloppy like my ep630's and the like, and the treble is pretty good once they are burned in. When I first listened to them I was wondering where the treble was and the bass was a little overpowering even for me, but after a while it fell into place nicely.

The cable is AWESOME.

FYI... I hace yet to listen to a balanced Armature IEM, so take my "treble is pretty good" with a grain of salt... I probably have not heard really good treble with my limited experience...

Sennheiser has a travel version of the IE6 which is called the CX6. It doesn't leak sound and has better isolation.

Aug 9, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #13 of 15
thanks for the advice, guys!

Aug 9, 2009 at 8:05 AM Post #14 of 15
I've recently upgraded from SCL2s (same as the E2c) to the RE0 and while I greatly prefer the RE0, I would not describe them as fuller or richer than the E2c. They are much more neutral and analytical although they do sound a lot more refined in general. The bass is more accurate and seems to extend further down than the E2c but it doesn't have as much impact and is less in quantity.

They take all of the Shure tips except, unfortunately, the E2c's foam tips.

Aug 9, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #15 of 15
interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back