Gun-Fi
May 17, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #46 of 1,732
CaseJ;2962777 said:
vpivinylspinner;2958738 said:
Where do I sign up?

David.jpg
Quote:

Originally Posted by vpivinylspinner /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wow thats one of my all time favorite guns. Is that a .223 or the .308?

It is a .223 with an excellent Chip McCormick single stage flat trigger and all kinds of other goodies including the custom lower.

AR3.jpg

May 17, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #47 of 1,732
Does anyone know where I can find a heavy-duty metal airsoft gun that isn't extremely cheap looking/feeling? Something like a Glock 20, Beretta M92FS, or a Five-Seven? Every one I find looks cheap, and reviews say they're not very powerful.

May 17, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #48 of 1,732
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CZ has had my interest for a long time. Will likely be my next purchase. Unfortunately, the feds just raided my largest local gun shop. I have small hands so I don't dare buy without trying.

I'm thinking this one:
http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=63

or maybe this one:
http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=81

I suggest going to somewhere that you know carries CZ's and trying them. The 75b Stainless that I put the pic up is the gun I use when I concealed carry. You might also look into the SP01.

Honestly everyone who has handled it be it large hands, small hands, or "average" sized hands has had no problem shooting it. The CZ's are also built VERY tough which I love. They have a great "Feel" and control compared to most guns.

I'm not a big fan of 1911's both for their accuracy (Unless you spend a bit of money) and their "feel". Some people are. Just find what works best for you and use it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL, you like wimpy calibers?
evil_smiley.gif
Jeez, I never thought I'd see a caliber war break out on Head-Fi...
icon10.gif

Check out Doubletapammo.com for TRUE 10mm power loads. I personally love my 10mm (Tanfoglio Limited Custom). One of the most fun calibers I have found.

May 18, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #49 of 1,732
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL, you like wimpy calibers?
evil_smiley.gif
Jeez, I never thought I'd see a caliber war break out on Head-Fi...
icon10.gif

Haha... I got sold on the 10mm Auto after the FBI did their initial tests way back in the 80s. Of course, I prefer the full load, not the Fed Lite that they ended up with. I also thought the MP5/10 was a great idea. It seems to be as good as the newer autopistol calibers that are coming out, e.g. .357 SIG and .45 GAP, provided the shooter can handle the recoil. I don't find higher-power rounds useful in an automatic pistol... they tend toward the Desert Eagle-style dinosaur-killers, once you move farther up the line.

May 18, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #50 of 1,732
Quote:

Originally Posted by vpivinylspinner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where do I sign up?

EdBrown1.jpg

beautiful gun. I have a thing for 1911's. When I was younger I used to own a wilson combat CQB airsoft replica in olive drab.
wilson_WCQB-T-A-G.jpg

I pefer rifle shooting over pistols, but man would these ever look good just sitting on a display case in the house.

May 18, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #51 of 1,732
my general response to such comments on a firearm related thread (that has firearm, gun, rifle, pistol, etc in the title) is "you could have just NOT CLICKED ON THE THREAD!"

May 18, 2007 at 7:08 AM Post #52 of 1,732
Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicArmada /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know where I can find a heavy-duty metal airsoft gun that isn't extremely cheap looking/feeling? Something like a Glock 20, Beretta M92FS, or a Five-Seven? Every one I find looks cheap, and reviews say they're not very powerful.

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwol...l?prodID=17933

Heavy duty metal? Check. Authentic appearance? Check. Not extremely cheap looking/feeling? Check. Powerful? Check.

Four times more expensive than "real steel"? Check.
very_evil_smiley.gif

clm9lld1.jpg

May 18, 2007 at 10:10 AM Post #54 of 1,732
i never understood airsoft... or more specifically that level of airsoft gun... recently saw a half-decent looking airsoft K98k and it was $500 i spent $190 for a russian capture K98k

May 18, 2007 at 12:49 PM Post #55 of 1,732
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a locked and loaded AR-15 under the bed.

For self defense? I hope you don't live in an apartment or have others in your home. The .223 will carry very well through drywall/sheetrock. For self defense, no way I'd use a piece like that and I own 3 of them. My personal preference is either a .357 revolver(with some CorBon) or shotgun for home defense. Weapons like the AR15 or Steyr Aug aren't a good choice IMO but to each his own. No offense intended btw.
biggrin.gif

May 18, 2007 at 1:42 PM Post #56 of 1,732
. . . a pair of silly Savages:

3040480629_d73f418c95_b.jpg

Lots of nice looking and shooting firearms out there, gents, so I thought I would show you something different; precision bolt action long range pistols. The Savage Striker is based on the short Model 110 bolt action with a two shot fixed magazine. The top one is in .22-250 with a fourteen inch factory barrel with a Burris 3-12X LER scope. The lower is a custom in .308Win with a 14.5 inch barrel topped with a VAIS compensator and a Burris 2-7X LER scope. The .22-250 barrel fits with Savage's proprietary screw nut system, but the .308's receiver and barrel are threaded together more traditionally. Both have been fitted with Rifle Basix excellent trigger upgrade kits (breaking around 3#) and both (with the appropriate ammunitions) shoot under and inch. Why? The .22-250 was first for prairie poodles under 200 yards. It worked so well that the .308 was next to take advantage of handgun only seasons on medium and large game.

May 18, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #58 of 1,732
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp
i never understood airsoft... or more specifically that level of airsoft gun... recently saw a half-decent looking airsoft K98k and it was $500 i spent $190 for a russian capture K98k

Japan.

Unless you're really dedicated and a heck of a shot, you cannot own a pistol in Japan. They have a limited number of pistol licenses (50) available for the whole country, with a very restrictive licensing and testing scheme. How restrictive? Well, only 30 or so of the pistol licenses are filled...

So really, the only way to own something approximating "real steel" is through airsoft. And if it approximates "real steel", it's going to cost just as much to produce.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For self defense? I hope you don't live in an apartment or have others in your home. The .223 will carry very well through drywall/sheetrock. For self defense, no way I'd use a piece like that and I own 3 of them. My personal preference is either a .357 revolver(with some CorBon) or shotgun for home defense. Weapons like the AR15 or Steyr Aug aren't a good choice IMO but to each his own. No offense intended btw.
biggrin.gif

No offense taken. The idea that .223/5.56 will always penetrate more than pistol rounds is a common misconception. After going through the literature, I settled on the AR specifically to reduce overpenetration since I live in an apartment.

If I were forced to use one of the heavier FMJ or OTM loadings (> 60 gr), military loadings (M193, M855), or any of the former Comblock stuff, then yeah, overpenetration concerns would stop me from considering the AR for home defense duties. But, I don't have to, and the use of .223 for varmint purposes gives me a wide selection of low penetration bullets to work with.

My preferred cartridge is Federal's T223D (40 gr HP), which is based around an overdriven varmint bullet. Federal's testing shows that it penetrates roughly 6" in bare ballistic gelatin. This is about as much penetration as a Glaser Safety Slug, or half as much penetration as from your garden variety expanded JHP from a service caliber. The FBI's testing found penetration of anything other than body armored adversaries seriously lacking. Due to it's light construction and high velocity, it had a tendency to breakup upon hitting intermediate barriers. The FBI ended up recommending it only for short barrels (< 12"), which would bleed off some of the velocity and increase penetration.

So really, my AR as loaded is much less of an overpenetration threat than any pistol I own.

May 18, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #59 of 1,732
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much kick do those have Old Pa? Looks like at least one's Mag-Na-Ported.

First off, the .22-250 weighs in at 7# and the .308Win tips in at 7.25#; there are lighter weight rifles available in both calibers. Mag-Na-Porting is a proprietary EDM process by which two or more pentagonal ports are cut in the top of the barrel to redirect combustion gases and reduce muzzle flip. I have had it done to a couple of barrels (and later sold the guns). It is loud. Very loud for a hunting/tactical firearm. The VAIS comp is a two-stage design that first scavenges gas from behind the bullet to charge coaxial ports which are then disrupted transversally by the second stage of gas flow; it's very effective at reducing perceived recoil without being excessively loud. I have shot rifles equipped with Vais comps in classes and at matches without unduly disturbing those shooting to either side of me. That said, ear protection is mandatory with these pistol length barrels, but both Strikers are controllable offhand commensurate with my ability to hold and shoot. At 400 yards, the .22-250 off the bags keeps its rounds on a four inch steel plate for me if I do my part. At the same range, the .308Win will do the same on a six inch steel plate; I have some work to do on its loads.

May 18, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #60 of 1,732
Quote:

For self defense? I hope you don't live in an apartment or have others in your home. The .223 will carry very well through drywall/sheetrock.

I'd rather stand on the other side of a sheetrock wall from an AR15 with frangible varmint bullets, than just about any handgun. The overpenetration of the .223 across all ammo types is misunderstood. I have witnessed Hornady Vmax and Speer TNT bullets fail to make it through both sides of a cardboard box. An EBR with frangible bullets is a fine home defense weapon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back