Gustard DAC-A26 - AK4499EX DAC :: Impressions Thread
Jan 5, 2023 at 1:48 AM Post #32 of 1,044
Hello, that's were I'm at A26 or R26. Any additional info is welcome. On YouTube the last couple days someone is comparing A26 to the Smsl M400. Does anyone know his thoughts? Thanks
If I were you, I would buy both, compare them in my system during the trial period, keep the one I like better, and get a refund from the reseller for the other.

Jan 5, 2023 at 1:56 AM Post #33 of 1,044
The A26 has the fuse outside, next to the AC inlet. It is a T2.5A 5x20mm one. I was lucky to find an SR Purple with those specs and put it in. Immediately noticeable :)
It's the same for the fuse of the R26.

Jan 5, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #34 of 1,044
If I were you, I would buy both, compare them in my system during the trial period, keep the one I like better, and get a refund from the reseller for the other.
I was going to do the cheap version of that. Get the lower priced A26 first, if not satisfied trade for the R26. It would be better to compare side by side if I had the extra cash.

Jan 6, 2023 at 7:50 AM Post #35 of 1,044
I guess I am ready for a first comparison of the Gustard A26 and the Audio-GD R8HE Mk2 (hereafter AGD). I have had the former for 2 weeks and the latter for 4 months.

I have the impression that the A26 needs less burn in time than the AGD. It improved for two days and seemed stable since.

Both DACs are used with 10 MHz clock input from an LHY OCK-2 or Mutec Ref10 SE120. A comparison of these two clocks will follow later when the OCK-2 is burned in. With both DACs the sound improves with an external clock.

A bit of background: for some time I have used the AGD as well as the Merging Hapi. The AGD for its rich R2R sound and the Merging Hapi for the crystalline precision playing DSD256. At first 50/50 but I noticed that I began to listen more and more to the AGD, and ultimately this became fulltime. It just gives me more satisfaction with its richly saturated and still open and detailed sound. Intoxicating as I call it. I guess I could use the Hapi in a professional setting, when mixing a recording for instance, because it is so revealing and plainly natural. However nowadays I mostly do passive listening and for that prefer the AGD.

In comes the A26. From the start I noticed that its sound signature is in between the AGD and the Hapi, a good marriage between D/S precision and R2R sound. At first I used it with its LAN input which is very good. However I still preferred the AGD which I find richer and with a deeper soundstage.

Then I hooked up the A26 as I do with the AGD:
Afterdark Rosanna streamer > USB > DI20HE > I2S > DAC

The sound came closer to the AGD. I think the A26 is a very good DAC for its price! I also like its smaller footprint and versatility. For instance I can use it with the likes of Netflix when watching video, using its volume control and giving my Audio-GD Vacuum HE1 XLR a break so that it can cool of.

The AGD is still a bit more intoxicating, call it analog sounding. However with the A26 I am happy to get a sound that lies between the AGD and the Hapi, so I am planning to sell the latter two. This also corresponds with a recent desire to simplify things in my setup, and reduces my feeling of guilt for the decadency of owning two DACs.

For me as a DSD lover the A26 has a drawback though: if I want to use the DI20HE (and I do as it really adds its magic), I cannot get the A26 to play DSD over I2S. This is a known problem as the A26 expects a 'DSD flag' signal on I2S pin 15 and the DI20HE is not sending that signal. Hence the A26 always expects PCM when attached to the DI20HE and DSD does not play. I guess I am going to live with that for now.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2023 at 8:55 AM Post #36 of 1,044
with the A26 I am happy to get a sound that lies between the AGD and the Hapi, so I am planning to sell the latter two.
In other words, for you, the A26 ≥ R-8HE + Merging Hapi?

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #38 of 1,044
Jan 6, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #44 of 1,044
Jan 6, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #45 of 1,044
@bodiebill2 - very educational write-up. I learned a lot. Looking forward to your OCK-2 and Mutec Ref10 120se comparison in the master clock thread 😎
Ditto. Interesting to me too as an A26-curious (and DI-20HE, Rosanna & Diretta curious) R26, U18 & OCK-1 owner.

@bodiebill2 - thanks very much. What was your source streaming software you used to compare the various setups - Roon/HQP by any chance? And which version of the AD Rosanna do you have as a matter of interest?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back