GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Dec 7, 2022 at 3:38 AM Post #2,356 of 8,912
Yes, mconnect is supported via UPnP, no Tidal connect support to directly play from Tidal app. You need to modify Linux running inside R26 to get this.
I use Roon w/ Qobuz mostly but with the Ethernet you can AirPlay to Gustard via LAN (v1.3) from inside the tidal app, Qobuz app and YouTube. Works fine but much prefer Roon (though I wish it had my daily discovery playlists in there).

Dec 7, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #2,357 of 8,912
Dec 7, 2022 at 4:05 AM Post #2,358 of 8,912
However, I discovered when playing music with Foobar
It also doesn't seem to want to play anything over DSD64.
No problems here playing with foobar.
I play up to DSD256 and PCM384 over without issues over LAN using the UPnP MediaRenderer Output plugin.
Still trying to get some DSD512 sample files just to check if these play ok or not.

The only nuisance with Foobar is that playback will stop when the playlist (buffer) has played the maximum for a WAV stream which is I think 1 GB
Simply stop and play and it continuous again for another xxx minutes.

There is a "fix" for this, UPnP WAV Playback Workaround DSP
However it is annoying as it disconnects and reconnects the UPNP connection after every track in your playlist now instead of sending a continuous stream to the Gustard, resulting in small delay and relay clicking in between tracks on the Gustard R26

Dec 7, 2022 at 4:19 AM Post #2,359 of 8,912
If you listen to music via a streaming service, the sound quality is limited. If I listen to the same recording from a local disk and from, for example, the Tidal service, it sounds much better from the local disk. So the question is whether it is worth investing a lot of money in HiFi components and then streaming music from Tidal or a similar service.

Dec 7, 2022 at 6:27 AM Post #2,360 of 8,912
If you listen to music via a streaming service, the sound quality is limited. If I listen to the same recording from a local disk and from, for example, the Tidal service, it sounds much better from the local disk. So the question is whether it is worth investing a lot of money in HiFi components and then streaming music from Tidal or a similar service.
I've been waiting for someone to point this out.

Dec 7, 2022 at 6:36 AM Post #2,361 of 8,912
I've been waiting for someone to point this out.
I know most people understand that. But judging by the posts here and elsewhere, most people ignore it. Btw. it is similar with room acoustics.

Dec 7, 2022 at 6:53 AM Post #2,362 of 8,912
Like I said earlier I have no time for Roon after hearing results from better music software from Innuos however as it is most stream their music why not . If I want to hear my music at its best i listen to ripped CD using Innous Sense software others use a quality transport and I’ve read the inventor of HQ player uses a SACD player himself the signal from the player is directly read by his software.
If you must use Roon they need to step up their software because right now Innuos Sense software clobbers Roon with better sound quality .

Forget about clocks , cables even converting to fibre optics these are tiny steps your still using a mediocre software source ,maybe Innous will compete directly with Roon making their software available to whom ever wants it . If you do nothing but stream your music Roon has been put on notice by Innous free software , maybe next year or the next Roon will develop better sounding software that competes with Innous . ***Sorry Mickey for veering off topic but it needs to be said .

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #2,363 of 8,912
If you listen to music via a streaming service, the sound quality is limited. If I listen to the same recording from a local disk and from, for example, the Tidal service, it sounds much better from the local disk.

Streaming can sound just as good as local files. But usually it doesn't. It takes some effort and care to get streaming sorted.

Streaming by Qobuz routed through Foobar vs the same file as a local FLAC via Foobar with the best DSP's, is indistinguishable for me. But if the local files don't have the best Foobar DSPs Qobuz can actually sound better on some tracks!

Tidal was markedly inferior, even routed through Foobar. Id suggest avoiding MQA if you want the best sound quality.

Qobuz via its app alone was inferior. It needed to be routed into a quality player, in my experience. I don't know how that works. Its illogical as the Qobuz Windoze app has WASAPI and should be immune to sound degradation. But it wasn't a subtle change at all. It was like a major headphone upgrade kind of change for me.

Its possible to try Qobuz as a free trial and play through eg Foobar using a virtual cable app if you have Windows. Cost = $0 .

Dec 7, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #2,364 of 8,912
LHY OCK-1 arrived.
I have a BNC cable but I think it's 75 ohm. Well, I won't describe the sound until I get a good 50 ohm cable.

Attachments

• IMG_20221207_153300.jpg
    IMG_20221207_153300.jpg
    924.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #2,365 of 8,912
Like I said earlier I have no time for Roon after hearing results from better music software from Innuos however as it is most stream their music why not . If I want to hear my music at its best i listen to ripped CD using Innous Sense software others use a quality transport and I’ve read the inventor of HQ player uses a SACD player himself the signal from the player is directly read by his software.
If you must use Roon they need to step up their software because right now Innuos Sense software clobbers Roon with better sound quality .

Forget about clocks , cables even converting to fibre optics these are tiny steps your still using a mediocre software source ,maybe Innous will compete directly with Roon making their software available to whom ever wants it . If you do nothing but stream your music Roon has been put on notice by Innous free software , maybe next year or the next Roon will develop better sounding software that competes with Innous . ***Sorry Mickey for veering off topic but it needs to be said .

Do you have more info or links? I’d like to do more research on these claims.

Dec 7, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #2,366 of 8,912
This software development was demonstrated by the Innuos dealer I didn't know a thing about it, as I delved deeper it makes perfect sense music software advances some are doing it better then others I found these topics on AudioPhileStyle Audiogon and others for me the difference is this digital fingerprint all over the music is gone or reduced I’ve never noticed before the Innuos Sense software ,advances in software development certainly exist . I’d like to add my best recorded music in all the years I’ve been in this hobby I’ve never heard it as good a real bonafide sense I’m actually listening to music is presented .

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #2,367 of 8,912
This software development was demonstrated by the Innuos dealer I didn't know a thing about it, as I delved deeper it makes perfect sense music software advances some are doing it better then others I found these topics on AudioPhileStyle Audiogon and others for me the difference is this digital fingerprint all over the music is gone or reduced I’ve never noticed before the Innuos Sense software ,advances in software development certainly exist .

Just to clarify, a financially interested party told you his product was better than the competition to hopefully influence you to buy his product? Sounds like another MQA scam to me.

Dec 7, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #2,368 of 8,912
Just to clarify, a financially interested party told you his product was better than the competition to hopefully influence you to buy his product? Sounds like another MQA scam to me.
No it was a demonstration that’s all I’m not some impressionable 12 year old , however if thats what you think then that’s what you think why bother investigate this yourself by actually listening , what I mean to point out I use sometimes read forums as a compass for components Im interested in m then actually listen to it the majority of time in my own system, I don’t make purchasing decision’s on how many likes something got m I like to actually listen for myself my ears are my biggest influencer.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #2,369 of 8,912
LHY OCK-1 arrived.
I have a BNC cable but I think it's 75 ohm. Well, I won't describe the sound until I get a good 50 ohm cable.
Why not use a sine wave output until you get the 50ohm cable? It'll work fine with the 75ohm cable and you'd be able to make comparisons once you get the 50 using square wave.

Dec 7, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #2,370 of 8,912
Why not use a sine wave output until you get the 50ohm cable? It'll work fine with the 75ohm cable and you'd be able to make comparisons once you get the 50 using square wave.
Yes, it plays with the clock. But I don't want to run away with the audio rating just yet. Although after a few hours it seems that the focus is better with the clock. The edges of the tones are better drawn, the bass is more defined. There is more flash in the upper mids with this cable. The cable is made of silver wire, without shield, supposedly 75 ohm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back