Halp me plaes! Buzzing/Static/Snow only when leet gaming
Aug 1, 2013 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Mr.Sneis

Headphoneus Supremus
I've seen this same or similar problem posted all over the web with no definite solution presented yet.  Maybe our HF guys can nail it?  Thanks in advance for the assist!

The core problem is that when I am gaming (which is actually very very rarely) with my PC I get a strange buzzing or snowy static sound out of my speakers.  This happens ONLY when gaming, IE if I alt + tab out of the game the noise will magically go away!

At this point I think I will need to try optical out of my PC rather than the USB and/or if there is a better method to interface between the USB of the PWD and my PC (like ifi iUSB or cable with power separated from data).

Here's some hints:

I have disabled onboard audio and use the mobo's USB out to a PS Audio PWD which then feeds to an Eddie Current Balancing Act as a pre-amp then to a Parasound Zamp v3.  The speakers are the Andrew Jones 2.1 Pioneer bookshelf + powered sub (fed by the Zamp's Loop out).  There is no soundcard in this setup!

Sticking my ears right up to the speakers I can hear a very faint low level hiss if the Zamp is simply on.  In other words a very very quiet hiss is always there, but what I am experiencing with the PC in gaming is much worse.  I would think this low level hiss is somewhat normal, in my exp. with powered monitors this expereince is actually worse (and also considered normal?).

This low level hiss may actually be audibly louder once the PC is on, however my PC has some fans which make noise by design and thus harder to diagnose.  The in-game noise is actually much more noticeable and different in character.

Moving the mouse wheel of my mouse in normal desktop computer use I can literally hear it in my speakers...  This seems to be weird but also separate from the core issue.

The exact same setup sounds perfectly fine using a CDP to the PWD.  The computer off.  I can also say CDP to PWD to BA with headphones is perfectly normal.  This leads me to believe the PWD and down in my chain is perfectly fine and that it is the PC or its components/settings which is the culprit.

The computer has a Corsair AX750 PSU and a AMD 6950 (reference board).  Generally speaking no outlying issues.

Have tried turning on vsych, no change

In the past IIRC I may have just used analog out of the PC via a soundcard or on-board.  TBH I cannot remember (that's how little I game), I have changed my speaker setup at least 4 times since last I gamed (when Diablo 3 came out).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back