Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Sep 5, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #1,021 of 4,588
  Another possibility is to stack the LC on top of the Mimby, with separators and maybe an additional support for the LC (which I think is longer than the Mimby). Like this.

It looks weird to stack the LC on top of the Mimby as the former is alot longer than the latter, but it makes sense to expose the LC more since it's the warmer unit. 

The separators are a great idea, but I'll likely be doing a complete reorganization of my desktop so I can fit in a Jodie, likely under one side of my speakers.

Sep 5, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #1,022 of 4,588
Hello Head Fi I read the boards often but am new to posting. I have both the Bifrost 4490 and Modi Multibit and would like to contribute my opinion on how they compare. I posted this in the 4490 Bifrost thread but feel it is appropriate here as well.

I prefer the sound of the 4490 Bifrost. The Bifrost sounds cleaner, more expansive, wider, smoother. But even if the Modi Multibit is grainier and more closed in, it does best the Bifrost in one area: the bass feels growlier, the treble attacks harder, the sound has more "impact." But, the 4490 Bifrost is so smooth, so wide, so easy to listen to that even if the edges of the music can sound a touch glossed over when compared to the Modi Multibit, I would still consider it the better DAC.

However, to the people reading this seeking guidance on which to buy, here is my advice to you: the Modi Multibit is a phenomenal DAC that will leave you wanting for nothing. I think, if your budget will not allow for a bifrost/asgard (or valhalla or lyr) combo, buy a Modi Multibit with a Magni or Vali and don't think twice.

Sep 5, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #1,023 of 4,588
  I don't see a photo...I think you forgot to attach. What happened to me when I switched out my Modi 2 Uber to Modi Multibit was, Windows defaulted my setup to use Realtek Digital Output as the default audio device, so naturally I wasn't getting any sound. I promptly switched it to "Speakers -Schiit USB Audio Gen" on the list and that did the trick. You can access the sound devices by right-clicking the volume icon on the Windows taskbar on the lower right corner, and select Playback Devices.

This is what it shown. It doesn't even on the playback devices list . Then I checked device manager, Schiit USB GEN2 still there with yellow caution sign.

Presently, I have the Mimby stacked on top of the Liquid Carbon (perfect fit dimension-wise) and both units got HOT to the point that I worry about shortened life span. I probably won't get burned by them (not as hot as tubes) but it will get uncomfortably hot after a few short seconds.

So I bought a surprisingly power USB fan last night with the aim of improving airflow (see photo below) and presto! The Mimby quickly grew cool to the touch (same temp as if it was switched off) while the Liquid Carbon was only slightly warm.

I think the reasons why my Mimby grew so hot were due to the LC heating it up from the bottom, the high ambient temperature of my room (28-30C), lack of air movement, and the natural heat output of the Mimby circuit.

my mimby also got HOT caz im living in high temperature ambient (32-35C) and i concern about long period usage too

Sep 5, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #1,024 of 4,588

This is what it shown. It doesn't even on the playback devices list . Then I checked device manager, Schiit USB GEN2 still there with yellow caution sign.

my mimby also got HOT caz im living in high temperature ambient (32-35C) and i concern about long period usage too

I think something as cheap as a computer case fan should be able to cool it down to a lukewarm temperature.

Sep 5, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #1,028 of 4,588
I prefer the sound of the 4490 Bifrost. The Bifrost sounds cleaner, more expansive, wider, smoother. But even if the Modi Multibit is grainier and more closed in

I'd describe the sound of the Mimby as anything BUT "grainy and closed in". It is nothing like you've described. I've had the Bifrost 4490 and the Mimby easily smokes it in just about every area except impact (the 4490 hits harder). It is clearer, smoother, less grainy and etched, more realistic and natural with better transients and a far more holographic, coherent soundstage. Instrument separation and layering are also better. Other people who've compared the two came to the same conclusions. The 4490 is an excellent delta sigma DAC but cannot compare to multibit Mimby for natural, life like sound reproduction.

Sep 5, 2016 at 6:25 AM Post #1,029 of 4,588
Probably a stretch, but has anyone had the chance to compare the mimby (or any other schiit multibit dacs) to the meier corda daccord?

I have Yggy and Meier's stagedac, the daccord predecessor. Haven't compared yet. What aspects do you want compared?

Sep 5, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #1,031 of 4,588
Would love to hear how the soundstage/ imaging compares, as well as impact and general tonality of the two.

Thanks!

Will be a few days before I can set this up.

I strongly like the stagedac. It 'won' an intensive, 3-way comparison I did in 2011, level-matched. Qualities I appreciate are that it's neutral, uncolored and gets out of the way of the music. Fairly typical of well-implemented wolfson circuits it tracks subtle vocal dynamics very well.

However, given that Yggy is a completely different experience from any other dac I've heard, I suspect stagedac will be significantly outclassed on the aspects you mention. We shall see...

Sep 5, 2016 at 7:36 AM Post #1,032 of 4,588
Hello Head Fi I read the boards often but am new to posting. I have both the Bifrost 4490 and Modi Multibit and would like to contribute my opinion on how they compare. I posted this in the 4490 Bifrost thread but feel it is appropriate here as well.

I prefer the sound of the 4490 Bifrost. The Bifrost sounds cleaner, more expansive, wider, smoother. But even if the Modi Multibit is grainier and more closed in, it does best the Bifrost in one area: the bass feels growlier, the treble attacks harder, the sound has more "impact." But, the 4490 Bifrost is so smooth, so wide, so easy to listen to that even if the edges of the music can sound a touch glossed over when compared to the Modi Multibit, I would still consider it the better DAC.

However, to the people reading this seeking guidance on which to buy, here is my advice to you: the Modi Multibit is a phenomenal DAC that will leave you wanting for nothing. I think, if your budget will not allow for a bifrost/asgard (or valhalla or lyr) combo, buy a Modi Multibit with a Magni or Vali and don't think twice.

What amp and headphones u using. Its weird cuz ur impression seem reverse with many people here

Sep 5, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #1,033 of 4,588

I, and a few other users, also faced this problem. Anyway, I managed to solve it - in the device manager, go and update the driver for it and then get Windows to search for the driver. In my case Windows found a driver and installed it.

Sep 5, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #1,035 of 4,588

I used an IR thermometer to measure the top of my Mimby. It was 43C. Ambient temp is about 29C.

I just measured mine too, room temp is 24.5C, the top on the Modi MB is 35.5C, that's a delta of 11C as opposed to your 14C, so it seems like that's a reasonable delta.
Obviously the chips inside are much hotter...
If anybody get's a smaller delta, I'd be curious to hear what they got.

I used to leave my Modi MB on all the time until a couple weeks ago when I came in to work one morning as the office was just opening and it was very hot because the AC is off at night and the Modi was uncomfortably hot, so I started turning it off at night and "suffering" for the first hour or two until it warmed up, but today I brought a timer to work which will turn it on about 3 hours before I get in, so it'll be nice and warmed up once I get in to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back