Hardest downsizing decisions you've made
May 26, 2013 at 9:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

3X0

Headphoneus Supremus
Three years ago I chose between my HD 650 and Grado HF-2 and that was pretty difficult. I regretted selling the HD 650s, but it had to be done.

Today I sit here listening to my D7000s and W3000ANVs and ponder sadly that one of them might have to go.

What is the hardest decision you've had to make between two (or more) headphones?

May 27, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #2 of 12
I don't know how people do it, giving up either D7000 or the W3000ANV would not even be an option for me.  Both are not easy accessible anymore.

This is not really down sizing, but more downsizing the amount of the amount of headphones I have. (not sure if this is what you mean) For me right now, I've been contemplating on the idea of either getting rid of either my HE400 or the K702ANV as they are too similar in performance to me to keep both.  But I haven't build the courage to get rid of either as I like them both in a different way.  I've also been thinking about getting rid of my esw9 also to get away from leather, but I don't want to because they been serving me so well.
frown.gif

In the end, I want to because I want to move forward to either getting the LCD2 or the HE500.

May 27, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #3 of 12
That's what makes it somewhat difficult for me. I can presently afford to keep them both around, but that doesn't make much sense to me from an economical standpoint. But I know if I let go of one of them they might become too expensive to reacquire in the future.

I didn't have nearly as hard of a time getting rid of my HF-2s a while ago, because I didn't really use them for reasons of comfort.

I think you might as well get rid of the HE-400 in your case to try the HE-500. Looking at it in this sense, I suppose the Fostex flagships are practical successors to the D7000 and thus my Denons might be more dispensable..

May 27, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #4 of 12
I've downsized a couple times. Once with the Hifiman 400 and another with sennheiser amperior. I do miss the amperior a lot, and I may get it again someday, but I think I can live without the Hifiman. 

May 27, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #5 of 12
I now have a two hp rule. Two and only two. If I want a new hp I must then sell off one of my current. I have the latest build of the MD and the hd650. Getting rid of either would be really tough. Hopefully I'm set for awhile. 

May 27, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #6 of 12
The fostex maybe the new denons but the cost are high with the fostex, tough choice.

Yeah I though about getting rid of the HE400 and getting the HE500, but I often wonder if I will miss the bass on the HE400. Plus a part of me feel that the LCD would be a great compliment to the hifiman. I thought the MD were good next to the HE's which I don't want to buy again, I don't really like the idea of re buying a headphone considering the many options of others.

The only headphone I won't sell is the d2000 as I think the leather is comfortable and the fit is looser which is nice for comfort, this is breaking my rule of going all velour. I also like it for my heavy bass hitter and fun headphone.

May 27, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #7 of 12
Mine would be the HE6. I sold that off a few weeks ago and that triggered a big change in my system. I won't buy it again since I am moving in another direction in my setup.

May 27, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:
I now have a two hp rule. Two and only two. If I want a new hp I must then sell off one of my current. I have the latest build of the MD and the hd650. Getting rid of either would be really tough. Hopefully I'm set for awhile. 

I take it the HE400's are already gone, then? If  you don't mind me asking, what made you go for the HD650's over the HE400's?

May 27, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
I take it the HE400's are already gone, then? If  you don't mind me asking, what made you go for the HD650's over the HE400's?

The mids of the hd650 is where most of the magic happens. It has a very smooth, darker presentation that I can listen to for hours. The 650 gets a bad rap for being overly veiled and not having good quality sub bass. I would disagree. You do need a good amp to bring out the best in them though. With A2>bifrost w/uber, using bitperfect they are pretty amazing to me. Plus the comfort is off the charts good. 

The he400 had more impressive sub bass thump, but so do my maddogs. 
size]

May 27, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #11 of 12
The HD650's were actually the headphones that made me really appreciate mids. I don't think I'm seeing anywhere near their full potential on my Fiio E12, but they sound damn good despite that. At the time I got them, the HE400's were really FOTM, so I wondered if I made the wrong choice.

May 31, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #12 of 12
I sorely regretted selling my HD 650s the first time around, but not so much the second time. I guess in the interim period without them I fell out-of-love with the old-world Sennheiser sound.
Quote:

I've recently developed a similar rule that's not as challenging and doesn't really help my situation: I'm not allowed to keep anything that's still in production (pretty much everything I have right now except the K3003i follows this rule, even my 2-channel system).

Looks like I'll end up with an Orpheus and MDR-R10 or something by the end of the year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back