Has anyone compared the Dacport to the HRT Music Streamer II+?
Sep 16, 2011 at 10:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

PrestigeWW

Head-Fier
I'm in the process of setting up a portable rig which currently includes a Ray Samuels SR-71B amp.  So now I'm looking for a portable DAC that can run on USB or battery power.  Obviously I have no need to a combo DAC/Amp, so I've narrowed my options down to 2: the Dacport LX or the MS II+.  Has anyone had a chance to compare these?

Thanks,

David

Sep 17, 2011 at 5:24 AM Post #2 of 25
Dacport wins imo

Sep 17, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #3 of 25
Headfonia has a brief comparison between the LX and the original MSII+. Keep in mind I haven't had experience with many different DAC's, but I compared the original (trapezoidal) MSII+ and the new (oval)  model and found the sound of the new one to be both clearer and smoother. The bit of grain on the highs that bothered me on the original was gone, the mids had better presence, and the bass was tighter (and sounded more extended), so I wonder how the new MSII+ would compare to the LX.

Sep 18, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #4 of 25

Quote:
Dacport wins imo

Quote:
Headfonia has a brief comparison between the LX and the original MSII+. Keep in mind I haven't had experience with many different DAC's, but I compared the original (trapezoidal) MSII+ and the new (oval)  model and found the sound of the new one to be both clearer and smoother. The bit of grain on the highs that bothered me on the original was gone, the mids had better presence, and the bass was tighter (and sounded more extended), so I wonder how the new MSII+ would compare to the LX.

Thanks for the responses.  I came across headphonia's review (which was seemed to slightly favor the older version of the MS II+), but I also found other reviews that agree with dyl1dyl's conclusion (again, with the trapezoidal model).  I like the size of the Dacport lx (even when compared to the new MS II+) but, bottom line, SQ is most important to me.

Anyone else have a chance to compare the latest generation MS II+ with either of the Dacports?

Sep 29, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #5 of 25
also interested in this.  Own the ms II+, wondering if the dacport is better, or if someone has upgraded from this dac, and how that change was.  I also am looking at the bitfrost to synergize with my lyr.
 Seems Audio gd is popular, but im looking at at a less than $1000 dollar range.  

Sep 29, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #6 of 25
Unfortunately Stereophile hasn't reviewed the new MS II or II+, only the originals. I'm sure improvements were made, but the originals (both MS and MS+) were not very impressive. Roll-off of -1dB at 20kHz, and a lot of IMD, if you think that stuff is audible. The DACport measured quite well in comparison. It all depends on how much HRT improved their product, but I would rather spend my money on the product that's guaranteed to work well.

Nov 21, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #7 of 25
I have both the hrt ms II+ old and new version. I did not hear much or any of a difference at all. So I wouldn't worry about that.

As for the dacport lx or the hrt music streamer II+ it depends on which do you prefer a more blacker background with more precise instrument separation or a wider soundstage with a slightly more warmer/analog sound.

Nov 25, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #9 of 25
Slight off topic, as I have only heard the Dacport.  I started with a Dacport LX, and switched to the dacport with the amp included, as I didn't like having two separate components (dacport LX and protable amp).  I prefer the regular dacport, and per CEntrance, set the volume at 1:00 and you have a dacport LX.  I do use mine that way with a pico slim when I use my quite sensitive iems.  Just something to consider...

Nov 25, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #12 of 25
Your requirement that the DAC can run off USB power disqualifies the oval MS II+.  Although technically it can, I experienced intermittent static, I'm guessing depending on the load on that USB port.  Using a powered USB hub fixed this.  I used USBView to see if I could figure out what was up and it seems I've got something else hooked up to the USB 2.0 port I was using (I think it was the laptop touchpad, can't remember 100%).  The oval MS II+ draws 400 mA from USB, which is more than the MS Pro (350 mA), and I think the max USB can give is 500 mA.  I guess it's still portable if you don't mind carrying around a powered USB hub.

Sidenote, too, WASAPI doesn't work with it.  I was getting periodic audio drop out, so I tried increasing the buffer in foobar, which helped, but I couldn't set the buffer high enough to totally prevent it from happening (foobar gave me an error message past 2000 ms, I forget what it said exactly).  Dunno if that would be the case with all async USB DACs.  Also, it's a little hotter than Redbook (2.25 V), haven't had any problems with clipping as far as I can tell, but thought I should mention it.

Those are pretty much my low points for the MS II+ and, other than that, I like it a lot.

Nov 25, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #13 of 25
Wouldn't the same apply to the Dacport LX as well - it also runs off USB.  I was told that the asynch HRTs should be set to lower/est buffer rather than high buffer.  I am using a Streamer II with JRiver - Wasapi Event Style and it works flawlessly.  I am also going to try a USB hub to further improve quality (if that's even possible) - I notice the slightest of hum at amp max setting with no music playing.  Maybe a USB hub would eliminate it and make it completely noise free...

For any questions about the HRT streamers, just email them - Jason has been great and very responsive!

Nov 26, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #14 of 25

Quote:
Wouldn't the same apply to the Dacport LX as well - it also runs off USB.  I was told that the asynch HRTs should be set to lower/est buffer rather than high buffer.  I am using a Streamer II with JRiver - Wasapi Event Style and it works flawlessly.  I am also going to try a USB hub to further improve quality (if that's even possible) - I notice the slightest of hum at amp max setting with no music playing.  Maybe a USB hub would eliminate it and make it completely noise free...

For any questions about the HRT streamers, just email them - Jason has been great and very responsive!

I am unsure if the same applies to Dacport, HRT is first async 24 bit DAC I own.  I hadn't thought about going with a smaller buffer, I'll give that a try.  When I was talking about static when powered only off the USB port, I was not talking about sound quality.  I meant that every so often I would get white noise for a few seconds at a time instead of music.  I don't know if a powered hub would make the HRT sound better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back