Has Anyone Ever Broken A Senn HD201?
May 24, 2006 at 5:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

wualta

Orthodynamic Supremus
My place of work is considering headphones for the company fleet, so to speak, and wants something even stupid people can't kill. Does the HD201 live up to the old Sennheiser reputation for near-bulletproofness?

May 24, 2006 at 7:47 PM Post #2 of 10
Yeah, it does. One of the sturdiest cheap headphones around. I help to run a public media lab, and the HD201 is sturdier than the similarly-priced Koss models we use.

May 25, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #4 of 10
Well, my friend bought one as a birthday present to himself a while back and they broke at the hinge when he stepped on them by accident, but thats probably to be expected with most headphones though. They seem very sturdy, so just try not to step on them a whole lot i guess.
rolleyes.gif

May 25, 2006 at 9:42 AM Post #5 of 10
I tend to drop them off my desk, fall asleep with them on and wake up with them on the floor
eek.gif
and they are still in perfect conditioin.

But i don't understand how so many people break headphones - like at internet cafes etc.

May 25, 2006 at 9:53 AM Post #6 of 10
Mine seem pretty robust and I'm not all that careful with them, they have even survived being played with by toddlers!

Another good thing about them is they are cheap to replace if the worst does happen, but they are probably the most robust decent-quality headphones in their price range

Simon

May 25, 2006 at 9:54 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by biohazard_nz
But i don't understand how so many people break headphones - like at internet cafes etc.

One of the more common problems would be people tightly wrapping the cord around the headphones when they're finished. That normally stresses the point where the wire goes into the cups quite efficiently.

Stepping on them.

Sitting on them when you've left them on a chair.

Leaving them on a table a spilling coffee on them.

Listening at a distance from the amp and some bugger walks across the lead, breaking the plug and even the amp.

It amazes me in the UK that Virgin keep their listening booths going....

Ian

May 25, 2006 at 11:09 AM Post #8 of 10
Perhaps you're better of with Koss if you anticipate a lot of abuse. For the record though, wearing my industrial design hat I was extremely impressed with the design and build of the HD201. It's obvious that Sennheiser put a hell of a lot of design work into their cheapest headphones to optimise it for the cost.

May 25, 2006 at 11:18 AM Post #9 of 10
Actually, the Senn 25 SP is bomb proof but more money than the 201. I'm afraid to say that I've sat on them, dropped them, walked away from the amp with them connected.
They are fine. The wires are held in place by a special clip and the cups are plastic - tough little geezer!!

Ian

May 26, 2006 at 6:03 AM Post #10 of 10
Thanks for all the replies, guys. Next, let's keep our fingers crossed. We don't want them to go buy a buncha dollar-store flimsies and we don't want those Telex monstrosities either. So everyone think lovely wonderful thoughts about HD 201s and just maybe the governing board will go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back