Has anyone modded the Grado G Cush pad?
Jan 28, 2013 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kskwerl

Headphoneus Supremus
With either a sock or something else? I prefer the G cush and was wondering if anyone has modded it to be more comfortable. I've seen sock mods with the stock 325is pads but none with the G cush

Jan 28, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
With either a sock or something else? I prefer the G cush and was wondering if anyone has modded it to be more comfortable. I've seen sock mods with the stock 325is pads but none with the G cush

I found G-cush to be the only comfortable way to wear a Grado. They didn't press on my ears. Never heard of someone modding the G-cush to be more comfortable really. Are they too rigid for you? Scratchy or something? Maybe just cut a ring of felt or velor like material and only put it on the edge of the G-cush lip where it will touch your head.

Very best,

Jan 28, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

I found G-cush to be the only comfortable way to wear a Grado. They didn't press on my ears. Never heard of someone modding the G-cush to be more comfortable really. Are they too rigid for you? Scratchy or something? Maybe just cut a ring of felt or velor like material and only put it on the edge of the G-cush lip where it will touch your head.

Very best,

Thanks, yea they are just kinda scratchy/itchy but not itchy if you know what I mean. I'm currently building magnums so I may try that sock mod on the stock 325is pads that a "starving audiophile" did. I have that article bookmarked somewhere.

Jan 28, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #4 of 7
I have tried both. The sock mod works great on the ears. Tames the highs some, and adds soms bass. After 6 months I couldn't listen without the socks, the highs were just too much...put on a set of g cush about 2 weeks ago, and im in heaven. I was really getting tired of the closed in sound stage, and tried senn. 598s total juck. Like toy cans, congested. Hifi man he 500. Went very deep (down to the gut), but also congested with no highs. Akg k550s, as I was burning them in they opened up nicely with a wide sound stage, but after 60 hrs., I lost it. I went from the 6th row back up to the 2nd at around 100 hrs..one pro review said the same..With the 325i with g cush have the best of both worlds. 6th row seating, the instruments are nicely spaced while still maintaining the grado sound that I love. It was the best $45 I ever spent..these things sound like $800 cans. Don't hesitate. Buy them.

Jan 28, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
I have tried both. The sock mod works great on the ears. Tames the highs some, and adds soms bass. After 6 months I couldn't listen without the socks, the highs were just too much...put on a set of g cush about 2 weeks ago, and im in heaven. I was really getting tired of the closed in sound stage, and tried senn. 598s total juck. Like toy cans, congested. Hifi man he 500. Went very deep (down to the gut), but also congested with no highs. Akg k550s, as I was burning them in they opened up nicely with a wide sound stage, but after 60 hrs., I lost it. I went from the 6th row back up to the 2nd at around 100 hrs..one pro review said the same..With the 325i with g cush have the best of both worlds. 6th row seating, the instruments are nicely spaced while still maintaining the grado sound that I love. It was the best $45 I ever spent..these things sound like $800 cans. Don't hesitate. Buy them.

haha I know what you mean, I bought the G cush off of amazon and they sound amazing compare to stock!

Jan 28, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #6 of 7
Heya,

Guess I have had completely different experiences than you gentlemen.

The 325i with G-cush pads for me was an absolute hot mess of crazy hot treble, weird mids, and a void of low frequencies that just hurt your ears with it's sonic daggers and had no bottom end to warm anything up. I had to heavily equalize to return the sound to anything resembling balanced or even listenable for me, as it was just absolutely crazy hot treble, hissy, spiked to all get out. I love the look & feel of the 325i with G-cush pads; great headphone to look at and wear. But man, they were never ever tuned to use G-cush pads at all. It takes a lot of tweaking to go to G-cush pads on any prestige series Grado in my opinion, and I've used it on several of them since I have them, the 60i, 80i, 125i, 325i.

Very best,

Jan 28, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #7 of 7
I'm still gunna try the sock mod on the L cush, I need more time to sit down and listen! I'll just do it after the X drivers are installed. I guess it really wouldnt make sense to do it now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back