Haute Schiit! Bifrost is world's most affordable fully upgradable DAC
Jun 30, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #16 of 326
A couple more answers:

1. Yep, pre-order price is same as retail--we mainly do pre-orders to judge demand so we can set up the right production numbers. It didn't work so hot on Lyr, though, since demand was much higher than expected. This time, we're prepared for much higher levels of orders.

2. Sorry, no package deals. We can raise the price on all our products to what they should cost and offer packages, if you'd like (kidding.)

3. Galvanic isolation? Is anyone not doing that? I honestly didn't think it was worth calling out.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 30, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #20 of 326
Yeah, but all $100-349 DACs are not the same.  The Bifrost isn't overpriced and a lot of people don't need the USB section so rather than charge people for what they don't need Schiit has made it even more affordable.  Look at all of the SPDIF to USB converters out there, they cost $100-200 minimum.  Don't fret, we'll let you know if it's worth the $449 for the USB version you desire.  It's all good.

Quote:
I'm a little disappointed that the USB option costs $100 extra. That makes me feel a bit cheated when the non-USB is $100 cheaper, but getting the basic non-USB makes me feel like I got an incomplete product. This really places my value perception of the product in a strange place that I cannot resolve.

Is there a reason why the USB costs $100?! I find this a bit ludicrous considering you can actually whole USB DAC/Amps for $100 already.

Jun 30, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #21 of 326
i got to upgrade my amp first to the lyr but after that this will be mine i tell you all mine!!!

hahahahahh

yeah i know abit over the top but for what it can do and the price its going at its silly to say no, i have been reading reveiws on all the amps and if the dacs are to match up to the reveiws on the amps then all will be good!

if this is the low level i can,t wait for the higher up dacs which only leaves me with one question.......

if you are bring out balenced dacs then you must have in your mind that you are going to bring out in the future a amp that does balenced also?????

if you are doing so and doing it at the crazy cheap prices like all you other products i might give balenced a shoot too. :)

can,t wait to see what else you guys got up your sleves!!!!!

from shaun

Jun 30, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #23 of 326
I just got a Yulong D100 a few months ago to run with my Lyr. I wonder how the BiFrost stacks up against other chinese bang for your buck dacs.

Jun 30, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #25 of 326
Quote:
I have a few questions if you will. I am trying to figure out the size from the picture. Is it fairy small? I like that it has no big light or screen the only meters I want will be on the laptop. Will it come in black?
Is the AKM4399 in the same league as the Saber chips? Thanks

The size is given in the description on the website: http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=7
You might notice that all their products share the same basic enclosure, the only difference being the shape/size of the cooling vent on top.  The height differences are due to the height of the tubes.

I doubt it will ever come in black, by not offering options they can keep the prices low.  Per this quote from Jason in the 6moons review of the Lyr: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/schiit/10.html
"We can do an amp like this at this price for really only one reason: simplicity. This is why we only offer a single color and no options. If we had to custom-configure every amp, we'd have to hire an army to respond to emails and calls asking 'which config is better for what?' And we'd probably have to add 50% to the price. Or sell this one as a loss leader and try to upsell as many options as possible. I understand that lots of people want custom amps and that's totally cool. It just ain't us."

Jun 30, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #26 of 326
Quote:
I'm a little disappointed that the USB option costs $100 extra. That makes me feel a bit cheated when the non-USB is $100 cheaper, but getting the basic non-USB makes me feel like I got an incomplete product. This really places my value perception of the product in a strange place that I cannot resolve.

Is there a reason why the USB costs $100?! I find this a bit ludicrous considering you can actually whole USB DAC/Amps for $100 already.

The USB option makes perfect sense and will be a nice money-saver for many folks.  Some customers (including myself) currently have no need for USB as I use the SqueezeBox Touch which has a S/PDIF output, so why should I pay for it?

$100 for that option is a very reasonable price.  Most decent USB to S/PDIF interfaces cost much more than that.  In fact, the new Berkeley Audio Design Alpha USB/SPDIF interface costs almost $2K! 
Finally, not all USB/SPDIF converters OR USB DAC/Amps for that matter are the same in quality of construction, feature-set or sound.

Jun 30, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #27 of 326

Hey all,

We've heard that we have problems with Google Checkout not shipping internationally.

We're working on the international shipping problem with Google Checkout, and hoping to have an upgrade for PayPal that allows us to charge only when shipped--if you don't want to transfer money immediately, just hold off a day or so, and we should have some additional options.

Don't worry--the first run is large, there'll be plenty of Bifrosts to go around!

Jason

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 30, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #29 of 326
Congratulations to Schiit on releasing their Bifrost DAC product!

I can easily see the Lyr stacked on top of the DAC models with enough heat sink clearance of course. I was waiting to see what the DAC looks like and its features before pulling the trigger on a Lyr which I will most likely do in the next couple of days. Can't wait to hear about the next DAC models. For me the Schiit products have so many compelling features and benefits to value that it's hard not to get excited about owning them. I think I read that the DAC has an RCA out, does it also have an RCA in? It would be nice to see a photo of the back panel.  

Jun 30, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #30 of 326

Quote:
Congratulations to Schiit on releasing their Bifrost DAC product!

I can easily see the Lyr stacked on top of the DAC models with enough heat sink clearance of course. I was waiting to see what the DAC looks like and its features before pulling the trigger on a Lyr which I will most likely do in the next couple of days. Can't wait to hear about the next DAC models. For me the Schiit products have so many compelling features and benefits to value that it's hard not to get excited about owning them. I think I read that the DAC has an RCA out, does it also have an RCA in? It would be nice to see a photo of the back panel.  

x2 i love the look of the front but i always like to have a peak at the back end 2 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back