Havana DAC for Audio-Technica W5000
Jun 19, 2011 at 7:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

korzena

500+ Head-Fier
I am looking a good DAC for my Audio-Technica headphone combo
(Audio-Technica W5000 headphones + Audio-Technica HA5000 amp). My
source will be Squeezebox Touch (coaxial digital out).

Currently my headphones sound a bit harsh, too digital and too clinical. I would like a DAC that will provide more analog sound, more musicality and more body/flesh/weight to the sound.

I have read many good reviews about Havana tube DAC and it seems that the sound it produces could satisfy my requirements. However I don't have a chance to audition it so I am only guessing.

Anybody tried Havana DAC with Audio-Technica W5000 and could share some impressions?

Jun 19, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #2 of 3
Hey Korzena,

I doubt you will get much answers to your question since about the only member I can think of that might have tried this combo W5000/HA5000 + Havana would be Amarphael and I am not even sure if he has tested it yet. Your best bet would be to do research regarding the sound characteristics of the Havana DAC and see if it fits what kind of sound you are looking for because direct comparisons with your current combination is going to be very difficult to find. Though currently having the W5000/HA5000 I would not classify them as digital or clinical sounding at all just a tad too hot in the treble area. I agree that the W5000/HA5000 would benefit from a more weighted and lush presentation which a correct DAC can help introduce but will not change the characteristics of the W5000/HA5000 that drastically. During the summer I might try out some new DAC's at a meet with my system, if I do I will share my finding with you! All the best, good luck.

-Mike.

Jun 19, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #3 of 3
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your message.

Yeah, I know, I have exaggerated with this clinical, digital sound. I did it on purpose to stress what kind of change I am looking for in the sound.

Today I have sent a private message to Amarphael as he hasn't replied in our previous thread. Hopefully he will share his impressions of Havana with us.

Today I have also sent the same question to Mhdt - the Havana company itself. I will let you know if I get the answer.

Let's stay in touch. I hope we will find the right DAC soon:)

Andrzej (korzena)

p.s. You're from Canada/Poland?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back