Have Denon D2000... better off with B & W P5? Something else?
Mar 26, 2011 at 8:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

lkeighty4

New Head-Fier
Around Christmas I bought a pair of Denon D2000s and a Fiio E7. This was my first "nice" pair of headphones I've ever bought or really ever listened to so I think they sound good. However, I'm listening to MP3s almost exclusively (I know, I know...) and I've been thinking that the Bowers and Wilkins P5 might be a better headphone for me because of this. For obvious reasons I only use my D2000s at home and would probably use the P5s primarily at home too but the option of portability is nice. To be clear, I am thinking of selling the D2000s and E7 and buying the P5s. I have also considered getting a Fiio E9 or better amp/dac, but I don't know how much this would help considering I'll still be listening to MP3 quality music (128 and 256 kbps). Thoughts? Other options? Just keep what I have? 

I am especially interested in your opinion if you have experience with both of these headphones but any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance! 

Mar 26, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #2 of 3
Nothing wrong with listening to MP3's only.
In fact, most MP3 nowadays, even in 128KB/ps are of good quality rips, which means the sound doesn't get tinny and brash and the dynamics aren't that compressed either.
So if the D2000s sound great with MP3's and may even sound better with losless files then why switch to 'inferior' headphones?
The D2000s have the clarity to scale up with better sources, the P5s probably not.

FYI, I am listening to lots of MP3's too and a streaming service like Spotify, all this with my D5000s and it sounds fabulous.
Keep the D2000s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back