Having trouble finding IEM's under £100.
Dec 23, 2010 at 2:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

You Failed

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm looking for a new set of IEM's, costing, at maximum £100. I'm looking for a pair with all the usual ticks on the stereotypical headphone wishlist: Strong, smooth but detailed bass, great mids and crisp, sweet highs and a decent soundstage. They need to be reasonably durable, as their primary use will be for out and about, so another consideration is a good level of isolation and for them to not look ridiculous! Obviously, at this price point, I'm not going to find the 'perfect' earphone, I've had a look around but as of yet, haven't come across anything that really makes me think "Yes! I want those!".

I previously owned Sennheiser CX500's, I found them to be good headphones but they weren't 'amazing', I think the bass was slightly overbearing and the highs just didn't give that bit of kick, if you know what I mean? I also own a pair of Sennheiser HD555's, which I love.

Headphones I've looked at:
- Sennheiser IE7's (I'm really considering these but I have read in one or two reviews, that the treble just doesn't give the headphones that sparkle and so I'm afraid they might be a bit like the CX500's in that respect.)

- Denon AH-C751's (Heard mixed reviews about these, some reviews say they're excellent all round, others say that the bass is a bit muddy and they lack detail)

- Jays Q-jays (Again, heard good things about these but they look *so* fragile)

- Etymotic (The design I find is quite off-putting and I find that the vast majority of people say they lack any quantity of bass which I also find very off-putting).

So what do people think of the comments I've made on the headphones I've looked at? How do they compare? Would you disagree, for example, do you think I'm wrong in saying I should be worried about the IE7's subtle highs? What would you guys recommend, considering what I've said?

Thanks.

Dec 24, 2010 at 10:45 AM Post #4 of 12
Try to give it some time for some response.

Having said that... have you checked out joker's extensive IEM comparison review thread? If you haven't, you should. It'll give you a lot more ideas on what is available around your budget.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-128-iems-compared-earsonics-sm3-added-12-20

Having said that... it seems like you are leaning to something more balanced. I haven't heard the HD555, so I can't make too much of a comment from that. I do know how the CX500 would sound though.

I am thinking the Sunrise Xcape might be a good choice. For a headphone with an easier availability, I do rather like the Brainwavz M3 (I have been recommending these guys for their quality in that price range).

Dec 27, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
since you say you want the moon on a stick ill try to read what i think you mean and ill say the q-jays.

Aha yes, I do realise I want everything for nothing, this is making it hard for me to choose because I just don't know what to sacrifice to keep my budget down! Do you have the q-Jays? Do you know how they compare to the IE7's, which I seem to be leaning towards at the moment, the q-Jays do seem like a good option though. Any other suggestions?

Dec 27, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #8 of 12
RE-262 , NEW FROM THE FS threads for 100 pounds.

Dec 29, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
Quote:
since you say you want the moon on a stick ill try to read what i think you mean and ill say the q-jays.

Aha yes, I do realise I want everything for nothing, this is making it hard for me to choose because I just don't know what to sacrifice to keep my budget down! Do you have the q-Jays? Do you know how they compare to the IE7's, which I seem to be leaning towards at the moment, the q-Jays do seem like a good option though. Any other suggestions?

well untill you have heard a few things you wont know where you want to be but q-jays are bright and dry, thu ie7are thick and rich sounding, pretty much opposites.  actualy the chap saying the M3 may be on to something as its an exclent all rounder but if you can gotthe RE-262 for that price take it.  its oustanding.

however you want really know what soound signature is for you utill you hear a few things so untill you know what type you want its mostly guess work

Dec 30, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

well untill you have heard a few things you wont know where you want to be but q-jays are bright and dry, thu ie7are thick and rich sounding, pretty much opposites.  actualy the chap saying the M3 may be on to something as its an exclent all rounder but if you can gotthe RE-262 for that price take it.  its oustanding.

however you want really know what soound signature is for you utill you hear a few things so untill you know what type you want its mostly guess work

Where is a reputable place to buy the RE-262 from? After doing a google search, it seems to be pretty hard to find =/

Dec 30, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #12 of 12
look in the fs threads - currently there are 1-2 NEW selling for 160-170 $

Street price is 260$ (postage included) so this is quite a nice deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Failed

Where is a reputable place to buy the RE-262 from? After doing a google search, it seems to be pretty hard to find =/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back