HD-201 arrives, crowd goes wild
Sep 3, 2005 at 4:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

wualta

Orthodynamic Supremus
A crowd of two so far, but yes, the Sennheiser HD-201 cheapie closed 'phone is a hit. Buy.com had 'em cheap, and many of you recommended them, so I said: Why Not.

My workplace has slowly evolved to the point where we are now faced with the happy problem of where to put all our little amps and USB audio adapters and how to rock out with 'phones whilst at terminal and at the same time not disturb the slumber of colleagues. A prematurely awakened government zombie is a dangerous thing.

We've tried Grado SR80s and they're surprisingly well-suited to an office environment, though at concert/orgy levels one's taste in music becomes public knowledge. Recently, we've tried the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700, but it scares people. It's interesting to see how social context utterly changes the aesthetic denotation of a headphone. People come across a supervisor wearing AD700s and immediately think he's suffered some sort of neuro-dental-occipital accident. I think it's partly the size, but mostly the spooky wire frame arches on top. Once they spot the insect-mandibular skull clamps, they start to back away. Good sound, though.

Anyway, we're going to try the HD-201. We have high hopes. To the layman, they "read" as headphones.

The only closed 'phone I've ever owned was a Sharpe 660 back when I was doing field recordings and a highly-isolating 'phone was mandatory. I hated 'em, but they isolated so well that if you put them on with no sound coming out, it was like suddenly going deaf-- very disturbing.

The Sennheisers are not in that league, but the tradeoff is that they sound very good indeed. A little hollow, and no really deep, deep bass, but quite pleasant, much more so than any of the old closed 'phones of the '70s. And a real bargain, at least when someone has a deal going.

So yes, curse you, Head-Fi, but also thank you, Head-Fi!

Sep 3, 2005 at 4:47 PM Post #2 of 8
Another convert of Team Budget-Fi. Now all you need is the Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro ($30) and your HD201 will really sing. The TBAAM's very forward presentation and midrange emphasis will help fill in that slightly hollow sound you are hearing and making the pairing sound reasonably balanced and almost refined. At $50, you can throw this stuff around at work and not even worry.

Sep 3, 2005 at 9:32 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oski
Another convert of Team Budget-Fi.

[Foghorn Leghorn voice] My boy, I, I say I, am the founding father of Team Cheap-Fi. We started out playing 78s spun by hand on broken Victrolas usin' a hatpin punched through a cone made from a rolled-up eviction notice.[/cartoon voice]

This is closer to reality than you might think. The friend who was helping me on that childhood project now works for Bose.

I once looked back on all my little projects and realized that they were all motivated by 1) lack of cash 2) outrageous replacement-part prices 3) deep class hatred engendered by 1 and 2. Just kidding.

Quote:

Now all you need is the Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro.

We are like SO on that turtle, dude. If it hasn't already started swimming its way here from NewEgg, it will soon. This li'l unit was part of the plan from the start.

Quote:

The TBAAM's very forward presentation and midrange emphasis will help fill in that slightly hollow sound you are hearing...

And if we want it hollow, we can use the builtin graphic EQ to make it as hollow as we like. It's win-win top to bottom! Thanks for the confirmation!

Sep 3, 2005 at 9:34 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta

And if we want it hollow, we can use the builtin graphic EQ to make it as hollow as we like. It's win-win top to bottom! Thanks for the confirmation!

It is a GREAT combo. You'll like it
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 4, 2005 at 5:07 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
It is a GREAT combo. You'll like it
smily_headphones1.gif

But from your signature, it seems that Bose is best
frown.gif

Sep 4, 2005 at 5:18 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey
But from your signature, it seems that Bose is best
frown.gif

Teerawit is only being sarcastic. He actually has a pair of Senn HD600, Alessandro MS-1, and Ety 6i.

Sep 4, 2005 at 6:02 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oski
Teerawit is only being sarcastic. He actually has a pair of Senn HD600, Alessandro MS-1, and Ety 6i.

And a couple of headphones i'm too ashamed to list
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back