HD 598 or DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm or MDR-1A
Aug 16, 2015 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

EagleWings

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello,

I am new to the world of HiFi music. Last week I bought a Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear (1st Gen) being aware of the fact that those have small ear-cups. I have a below average sized ears and yet it did not work out for me and now I am returning it. Momentum's sound was just right for me. I feel I rushed into the decision of buying it. After some research, following are the headphones I have shortlisted. Could you please talk about these headphones from your knowledge that would help me decide on one? 

1. Sennheiser HD-598:
    For: Sound, Price ($150), Comfort, Soundstage
    Against: Insufficient Bass, Open Back (I'll want to use it in office or in places with people in close proximity), Not Portable Enough, Looks & Styling, Cable(1/4 inch adapter)

2. Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm:
    For: Sound, Price ($200), Comfort, Soundstage, Bass Response
    Against: Huge & Not Portable, Looks & Styling

3. Sennheiser Momentum II: (As long as the comfort was significantly improved over the previous model)
    For: Sound, Bass Response, Lightweight & Portable, Soundstage and everything else
    Against: Price($350), Comfort (maybe)

4. Sony MDR-1A: (But it looks like Sony has discontinued MDR-1A)
    For: Sound, Comfort, Bass Response, Lightweight & Portable, Soundstage and everything else
    Against: Price($300)

5. Audio Technica ATH-M50X:(Considering this as a safe option)
    For: Price ($170), Bass, Good Overall Headphones
    Against: Sound (not as good as the other cans in my list), Looks & Styling

If it weren't for the price, I'd go for the MDR-1A without a second thought. Will be pairing it with Fiio X3 2nd Gen.

Thanks for your help!!

Aug 16, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #3 of 5
Well, I am still familiarizing with the terms to describe the sound signature. Let me try to put in my own words:

Fun Sounding, 
Detailed,
Wide Soundstage,
Good Bass Response,
Clear Mids,
Non-Harsh Treble,
Hate Sibilance

I know it is a tall order. But since I had the chance to listen to Sennheiser Momentum 1, I really loved it. I am guessing all the headphones I have listed here sound like what I am looking for (except for HD598 which has a less emphasized bass). The Momentum 2 and MDR-1A seem to be perfect, except that they are a bit expensive. 

Hope this helps,

Thanks.

Aug 17, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #4 of 5
I have the 598's.  I don't know much about headphones but they do sound like instruments coming from different parts of a big room with the right songs / source.  Also they are the most comfortable headphones I've ever tried - they never hurt my ears due to the open back.  

They are pretty horrifically ugly but I still wear 'em walking on the beach or driving a motorbike.  Leaky sound doesn't bother me (might bother other people but they haven't said anything yet so ...)

Aug 17, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #5 of 5
Thanks rdnkjdi. Looks is one of my biggest gripe about HD598 too. But I could make peace with even that. The only thing that is stopping me from buying it is the noise isolation and sound leak due to open back. That might actually limit the places where I would use these cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back