HD 800 (modded) vs HD800S
Nov 23, 2023 at 9:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

der Koekje

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I know this question has been asked throughout the years but I'm wondering what I should do. I'm contemplating one of these headphones and I'm not sure which one to go for. A year or so ago I posted on here taking you through my journey on which headphones to buy, I mentioned liking a darker sound signature with an emphasis on sub-bass and I auditioned a few headphones like the LCD-X, LCD2, Arya, Focal Clears a some others. I knew the HD800S wouldn't match my palate but I could at least identify it as a villain. While I didn't really like it much with SS amps (though it wasn't too bad), it really, really came to life with an OTL tube amp.

Eventually now, I settled on the little-known NAN-7's. While the NAN-7 is amazing, I'm still thinking about that experience with the HD800S and the Tube amp, that was really special. The highs seemed tamed, some of the vocal presence felt a bit closer. It was really crisp. It was extremely comfy too. Recently, I was checking prices and they're not so bad nowadays so I figured I might pick them up as they're comfortable for daily use, watching videos and are supposedly really good for gaming too. Then, when I really want to listen to music, I can use them with an OTL amp like the xDuoo TA-26 or their upcoming TA-84.

Now that I'm doing some research, the question that I have is: should I go for the HD 800S or the OG 800? There seems to be a modding community that's popped up around the HD 800 that claims to solve some of its issues (6k peak, shrill resonance, etc). The slight increase in bass on the HD800S seems to be from an artificial boost in the tuning rather than anything done in the redesign so modding the HD800 would bump that to a similar level. The SDR mod looks pretty easy to do as well though they say it doesn't go far enough and instead just neuters the HD 800, so more drastic steps would be needed which go from sounding legitimate to wishful thinking. Basically, the consensus I get from those topics is that it's a lot easier to turn the HD800 into the HD800S than vice-versa, so why not just go for the OG.

I don't mind modding, I was looking to give either pair a paintjob anyway. However as an audio novice I actually don't think I have the hearing chops required to see whether a small mod really makes things better or worse. It might a back and forth, an eternal project. By contract, the HD800S is a lot more plug and play. I've already sampled them and verified that they do sound great with an OTL amp, and I'm just curious if there is 'more' to the original.

So yeah, TL;DR I'm just wondering which one to go for in 2023 for sitting behind the computer, gaming and using it with an OTL amp. I'll add that price really isn't a factor anymore. I see either model around the same used price (I would be buying used) as the HD 800 are a little more uncommon on the market nowadays.

Nov 23, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #2 of 6
I've had the hd800s a couple of times and tube amps really help and in gaming it'll blow you away when you get into a big area like in Destiny 2 and realize how far away you can hear. It's not just expensive but distant sounds are easily identifiable. The APO/Peace autoeq profiles are well worth trying out before doing hardware mods.
The Drop hd8xx is really close if you use Googone to remove the stickers but leave the middle one and test listen to hear if you want to keep those. The HD800S keeps their value well if you get the original. The HD8XX used can save a ton though if you take off the stickers.

Nov 24, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #3 of 6
Modded 800 have better bass (speed, timbre, Q), are cheaper to obtain than the "S". Both sound best on OTL amps, even cheap ones - all IMO of course. Although the v281 Violectric is a SS that does well.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #4 of 6
I've had the hd800s a couple of times and tube amps really help and in gaming it'll blow you away when you get into a big area like in Destiny 2 and realize how far away you can hear. It's not just expensive but distant sounds are easily identifiable. The APO/Peace autoeq profiles are well worth trying out before doing hardware mods.
The Drop hd8xx is really close if you use Googone to remove the stickers but leave the middle one and test listen to hear if you want to keep those. The HD800S keeps their value well if you get the original. The HD8XX used can save a ton though if you take off the stickers.

Why did you have it a couple of times? I'm just curious what made you get rid of it and buy it again so often. I'm not sure if the Drop 8XX is a viable option. I'm Europe so prices are pretty much the same as the HD800S, plus I'd sacrifice resale value by ripping out the stickers (I checked some videos, it looks like a rough process).

Modded 800 have better bass (speed, timbre, Q), are cheaper to obtain than the "S". Both sound best on OTL amps, even cheap ones - all IMO of course. Although the v281 Violectric is a SS that does well.

Thanks for the response. If you're able, could you elaborate on why they provide better bass than the HD800S? Is it because the HD800S has hit a ceiling dus to it being artificially tuned higher?

Also, I'd love to know which mods you are referring to. Thanks!

Nov 24, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #5 of 6
The OG hd800 with the Sonarworks EQ ($60 black Friday), has impressively good bass and is the better value overall if you don't mind the EQ plugin. Even with a SS amp this is a tremendously good option.

Without EQ the hd800S is a little easier to live with and not as amp picky as the OG. If you can find a good deal on the OG, I'd grab that.

Nov 24, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #6 of 6
Why did you have it a couple of times? I'm just curious what made you get rid of it and buy it again so often. I'm not sure if the Drop 8XX is a viable option. I'm Europe so prices are pretty much the same as the HD800S, plus I'd sacrifice resale value by ripping out the stickers (I checked some videos, it looks like a rough process).

Thanks for the response. If you're able, could you elaborate on why they provide better bass than the HD800S? Is it because the HD800S has hit a ceiling dus to it being artificially tuned higher?

Also, I'd love to know which mods you are referring to. Thanks!
800S gets extra bass from a higher than ideal Q which means it is louder and takes too long to finish notes and has higher THD. Someone that likes bass cannons would prefer it but people that are drawn to the 800/800S - are different.

The popular mod that addresses the 6k issue - forget the name

Users who are viewing this thread

Back