HD580/HD600 Drivers
Oct 27, 2006 at 3:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Davesrose

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey all,

Well I indicated on previous threads about how I wondered why Sennheiser let the really thin voice wire go all the way to connector for the 580/600 series. Photos of other headphones elements tend to have insulated wires go right to the diaphragm. Does anyone who have a HD650 know if it's elements are designed just like the 580/600? I figured an insulated wire might open up the mids. Since I only had an element to sacrifice on my 6 year old HD580, I thought I'd go for an expensive experiment
smily_headphones1.gif
Since I thought my driver was getting kind of crackly to begin with, if worst came to worst, I could get a replacement.

So I did the unthinkable. Those with a weak constitutional should look away now!!!!!

OK, for the others, I decided to actually cut the voice wires and install insullated wires to go the diaphragm. The good thing is a soldered everything correctly, so I still have sound. Here are my findings for anyone interested:

The main difference I noticed is that there's actually less bass now. I'd say on a whole, the mids seem more consistant with the bass now. I think there's a bit more response. Higher frequences still aren't there. Also, if I crank up the volume (don't have the phones over my ears at this point), I find there isn't as much clipping when the volume is all the way up. Maybe some of the signal is lost with the extra soldering joints (and I wasn't trying to be real precise), but I think this shows what the advantages/disadvantages of using an exposed voice wire (more mids/ less bass). Looks like either the element or enclosure must be redesigned to get more detail with the 580/600 series.

I've gone ahead and ordered replacement drivers....figure I should burn in a matched pair of elements. Can compare new ones with my mod once they arrive. Had ordered the HD600 grills, and I have the HD650 cable. When the new elements come, I'll have the ultimate 580/600 series!! Also will upload photos of my final paint job!
600smile.gif
600smile.gif

element.jpg

Oct 27, 2006 at 8:14 AM Post #2 of 3
Good God, why did you do that?
confused.gif

You do realise there is half a mile of that same wire going around the voice coil? So you have subjected the signal to two solder junctions and possible overheated the voice coil a little

If it was crackly then fix the spring and clean the contacts!
Do not copy this advise!

I am shocked!
eek.gif

Oct 27, 2006 at 1:57 PM Post #3 of 3
BECAUSE I'M CRAZY
smily_headphones1.gif

but the half mile going around the diaphragm is not open and exposed to the elements!!!! That's the main difference. I would think that a very thin, uninsulated voice wire would lose some of its current when exposed to that much air (of course when it becomes a coil, you want it exposed to be an electromagnet). I didn't perform this experiment for others to repeat....it's not for the faint of heart
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually, I think the main problem with the solders is that the voice wire doesn't seem too conductive to solder. Maybe could have gotten slightly better dynamics if I was better with soldering, and had some super hot iron or something.

And no, I think the crackling was due to my drivers being very old. Those voice wires were very loosy goosy. I had cleaned the diaphragm and the contacts, and there was slight crackling and the sound wasn't as good as they used to be. The insulated wires did change the sound dynamics considerably (more mids, a little less bass...did get rid of crackle). I'm anxious to see the difference in the new elements when they come. No, I won't be fooling with the new ones
smily_headphones1.gif
My old ones needed a good sendoff!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back