HD595 first impressions.
Feb 2, 2011 at 10:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

alitomr

500+ Head-Fier
I've owned my HD555 for several years. They broke recently and repairing them would cost around 58usd, plus shipping outside the USA. I saw the HD595 was at a reduced price in amazon.com and decided to buy them. They were (i think are)about 100usd less than the last time I checked, at 129. 

I am listening to them using my headstage lyrix usb dac/amp from my laptop and also using the amp connected to my Cowon D2, just as I used to listen to my hd555. 

I just wanted to say that those of you who claim the hd595 and the hd555 are the same or sound remotely close to the same, are nuts. Sorry, i didnt want to sound disrespectful but I think you are. :)

I remember noticing an amazing sound change on the hd555 after burn in. If these willl develop as the hd555 did, i cant wait for several days to pass...im all excited. 

I heard "Cinema Paradisso" by YoyoMa and Chris Botti, from the album "In Boston" and it is such a beatiful thing to listen to that I almost cry. 

So far im extremely glad with these cans. I was also listening to a few Michael Buble songs and I think they lost some musicality. They sound anlytical but extremely clear and i could pick up details that i had missed even though ive heard those songs hundreds of times. 

The sound imaging in the Chris Botti In Boston album is simply crazy. 

I love Sennheiser. And my Lyrix. :)

Feb 3, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #2 of 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by alitomr /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just wanted to say that those of you who claim the hd595 and the hd555 are the same or sound remotely close to the same, are nuts.

Might be part of the same posse who claim that the 595 and the HD600 sound the same.

Feb 3, 2011 at 6:37 AM Post #6 of 12
"Here's why increasing the model number makes it sound better: "

May I suggest a slight change in punctuation:

"Here's why: increasing the model number makes it sound better."

Changes the whole meaning of the sentence. 
wink.gif

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #7 of 12
I'm finding them extremely revealing. 128kbps mp3s are simply....unlistenable. Some music sounds flat and boring but when they shine, in jazz and classical, they are heavenly and that might be an understatement. 

So far I havent noticed any sonic differences after their first 30hours of burn in.

Somebody mentioned they are the same as HD600??  Because they are leaps away from the HD650 with the same source and amplification. They are still great and i doubt there's something better for 130usd. 

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #9 of 12
I think the HD 595 sounds amazing with a little burn in time and amplification.  It truly needs amplification to shine the way they can.  I agree, they are extremely revealing, especially for bad recordings, and often old recordings.  I also find them forward, however, they do have a wide soundstage.  Forward doesn't mean it has a small soundstage.

Feb 4, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #10 of 12
I notice no difference after about 40 hours of burn in. I do notice a big difference using my headstage lyrix as an AMP connected to the D2. I've always felt the DAC in the Lyrix was better than all of my sources. 

I do remember noticing huge development in the HD555 for as much as 100 hours. These cans are really great with classical music. I'm listening to the "Shutter Island" soundtrack and it is truly amazing. 

Feb 4, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
These cans are really great with classical music. I'm listening to the "Shutter Island" soundtrack and it is truly amazing. 

Earlier Senns--maybe not the 800 so much--seem to have been purpose designed for orchestral/acoustic music. Most of the talk about them being boring seems to come from people into more "popular" genres, especially electronica.

However, just watch someone into classical say he found them boring too.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 6, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #12 of 12
Well, pp312, variety for different tastes!!  :D

Something else worth mentioning:  The HD595 make high bitrate mp3s sound...suboptimal...when compared to lossless. 

I thought it was me. At least i didnt want to assume i was not biased. I took my laptop and headphones to my sister and mother and played several songs in 320kbps and then in FLAC, using the headphone out. They listened to 3 songs and they said the difference was there. None could express the difference verbally but they picked the flac songs as better sounding. 

The curious thing is that the 320kbps actually sound very good when compared to some oof the mp3s in my collection. We are talking about Michael Buble's "CRazy love" album. I own the original and downloaded the 320kbps version, and well, it's possible that those 320kbps were not created with the best program to rip from the CD, but I dont think they re bad at all, based on camparissons with the rest of my collection, as i said. 

Now I think I will start ripping my collection with FLAC and the new 2TB HDD wont look as big as it did a couple weeks ago when I order it. 

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back