HD598 vs the world | Newbie needs help choosing first good headphones
Feb 25, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #16 of 35
  yhym yhym I understand some of those words
biggrin.gif
K612 seem great, will have to read a little about them.

Philips Fidelio X2 are definitely out of my price range and I'd rather just pay few more dollars and buy HD598 instead of HD558.

Are HD598 not liked on this sub? Not a single person recommended them in this thread. Right now I'm leaning towards HD598 and DT990 PRO 250Ohm. Is bass really that bad on HD598? I'd listen to Daft Punk, Infected Mushroom, Mr. Oizo and The Chemical Brothers. DT990 PRO 250Ohm I believe are hard to drive so Xonar DG wouldn't be enough? I could buy FiiO E10 instead of xonar but I'll probably have to buy cheaper headphones.
I know I'm stubborn with Sennheiser but their look and unbelievable comfort is something else
L3000.gif
. If only I didn't have to worry about their sound...

Just giving you options based on what you asked for in your original post :)

If you are sold on the HD598 - get them.  They are very comfortable, have an expansive sound stage, and great value for money at the moment.  Personally I found they have a little upper mid-range/lower treble grain - and I prefer the more realistic soundstage of an HD600 or DT880/T1 - but I know a lot of people who like the larger stages of the DT990/HD598,

Enjoy your HD598 when you get them.  Just go for it - and stop second guessing yourself.

Feb 25, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #17 of 35
I agree with Brooko. If you are still leaning toward the HD598s, get them. Their current price on Amazon for ~ $150 is great. Plus, when you order from Amazon or fulfilled by Amazon (not 3rd party vendors that do their own shipping), RMA is easy, and would probably run you about $10 or so to ship them back if you didn't like them. Just keep the headphones and the packing mint.

That's money well spent even if you have to return them. Listening to headphones is the ultimate way to choose some. If you don't like them, come back and tell us why, we can redirect you to something that better suits your needs in this price range. But right now, it's all a guess because we have no common point of reference with you :)

Feb 25, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #18 of 35

Have you used them? From what I'm reading hd598 are better.

yhym yhym I understand some of those words
biggrin.gif
K612 seem great, will have to read a little about them.

Philips Fidelio X2 are definitely out of my price range and I'd rather just pay few more dollars and buy HD598 instead of HD558.

Are HD598 not liked on this sub? Not a single person recommended them in this thread. Right now I'm leaning towards HD598 and DT990 PRO 250Ohm. Is bass really that bad on HD598? I'd listen to Daft Punk, Infected Mushroom, Mr. Oizo and The Chemical Brothers. DT990 PRO 250Ohm I believe are hard to drive so Xonar DG wouldn't be enough? I could buy FiiO E10 instead of xonar but I'll probably have to buy cheaper headphones.
I know I'm stubborn with Sennheiser but their look and unbelievable comfort is something else
L3000.gif
. If only I didn't have to worry about their sound...

I was recommending that you consider the HP200 not because of exhaustive personal listening experience with it (I do not have that), but rather and primarily because of the numerous very positive reviews it has received both here on this site and elsewhere. It also meets several of the criteria you have outlined as desirable qualities in a can. It is also within your budgetary guidelines. I have not done a head-to-head personally with the HP200 and the HD598. For the record, I do own the 598 and I am a huge fan of it. I don't think you can go wrong with it, but I always recommend that people consider a number of options (hence the HP200 recommendation). By the way--I voted for the 598 in your poll.

Feb 25, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #19 of 35
I wouldn't really say I'm completely set on buying HD598, the more I read about DT880/990 the better they seem. It's just hard to pick when no one wants to answer any of my questions :frowning2:. I'll try to keep it short.

HD598 - is bass really that bad? I know that it's not their strong point but when i listened to Infected Mushroom, The Chemical brothers on HD518 and HD558 it seemed just fine to me

DT880/990 250Ohm - from what I'm reading 880 is more neutral with slightly better mids while 990 focuses more on treble and bass is that correct? Secondly I'm worried about amping them, because for HD598 I think Xonar DG would do just fine, but with these I probably would have to buy some $100 AMP. Or maybe you could recommend me something cheap that would do just fine? Vocals and mid- can someone compare them between HD598 and DT880/990? I couldn't find very much about it on different forums. Lastly how is the comfort of DT's next to HD598? I think I could spend the rest of my life with HD's on my head no problem, unfortunately I'cant try DT's anywhere.

Right now it's somewhat DT880 PRO 250Ohm>HD598>DT990 PRO 250Ohm but it's all veeeery close.

Oh right, I'm living in Europe and Amazon is not an option for me since almost all the headphones can't be shipped to my country :frowning2: If they can shipment costs like $50 while my budget is around $200-250 for headphones+amp.

I know it's a lot of questions but if i get answer for some of them I promise I'll stop bothering you guys :beerchug:

Feb 25, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #20 of 35
If you liked the HD558s, then HD598s will only give you a slight loss in bass response.

Given that you have a Xonar DG, those or the Soundmagic HP200s would be my choice for easier to drive, unless you can find low impedance DT880s.

Feb 25, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #21 of 35
If you liked the HD558s, then HD598s will only give you a slight loss in bass response.

Given that you have a Xonar DG, those or the Soundmagic HP200s would be my choice for easier to drive, unless you can find low impedance DT880s.

I don't have xonar, I'm including it in my $250 budget
cool.gif
That's why if I pick up DT's I don't know what to do with amp, unless i find a cheap one.

Feb 25, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #22 of 35
As I was told, HD598 bass is not bad. It's not the oonce-oonce bass thump you might get from muddier basshead-style cans designed for that sort of sound, but it is apparently realistic. The headphone is not defined by its bass if that's what you mean; bad and good are subjectives, though, and shouldn't be tossed around. For instance, I find my DT880s fairly difficult to drive (250OHM version, that's why), and while I like them well enough as I listen to them, I'm not all that excited about them and think the 598s will please me as well or better for near half the price. Not having access to Amazon is a bit troublesome, but there's amazon.co.uk, which might cost a little less, plus Beyer/Sennheiser/Philips are all based out of Europe anyway, I'm pretty sure.

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #24 of 35
I wouldn't really say I'm completely set on buying HD598, the more I read about DT880/990 the better they seem. It's just hard to pick when no one wants to answer any of my questions
frown.gif
. I'll try to keep it short.

HD598 - is bass really that bad? I know that it's not their strong point but when i listened to Infected Mushroom, The Chemical brothers on HD518 and HD558 it seemed just fine to me

DT880/990 250Ohm - from what I'm reading 880 is more neutral with slightly better mids while 990 focuses more on treble and bass is that correct? Secondly I'm worried about amping them, because for HD598 I think Xonar DG would do just fine, but with these I probably would have to buy some $100 AMP. Or maybe you could recommend me something cheap that would do just fine? Vocals and mid- can someone compare them between HD598 and DT880/990? I couldn't find very much about it on different forums. Lastly how is the comfort of DT's next to HD598? I think I could spend the rest of my life with HD's on my head no problem, unfortunately I'cant try DT's anywhere.

Right now it's somewhat DT880 PRO 250Ohm>HD598>DT990 PRO 250Ohm but it's all veeeery close.

Oh right, I'm living in Europe and Amazon is not an option for me since almost all the headphones can't be shipped to my country
frown.gif
If they can shipment costs like $50 while my budget is around $200-250 for headphones+amp.

I know it's a lot of questions but if i get answer for some of them I promise I'll stop bothering you guys
beerchug.gif

bumping for answers, will probably buy HD598 but still want to know ^ this stuff just in case
popcorn.gif

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #27 of 35
You love your HP200s, don't you?

Not criticizing. I love my HP150s. Haven't had a chance to hear the HP200s yet
smily_headphones1.gif

They are probably what I consider the best open headphone for 200$ and bellow :) (Unless you're looking for v-shaped can that also need amp then DT990 Pro 250 ohm)

Feb 26, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #28 of 35
I have HD558 foam modded (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-kJ7sN16qw)  They are almost same as HD598 now, wide soundstage etc.These were my first cans. But i missed something in the low department. Then i bought the Beyer 990 Premium (250 Ohm). They have more bass punch and something what i missed in Senns.  I love these with movies. I drive them with my HK AVR-255 with dolby headphone mode to give it more wider surround like sound. And when listening music at the computer table i plug it to my discrete soundcard and it runs nicely. Sure, with amp&dac combo it could be better. But how much better? There are some talks that it would not be that much better than my avr.

I did see you are looking the 990 Pro model. I think it isn`t that nice as Premium model. Comfort isn`t as good i have read. If you are listening that kind of music (Infected Mushroom etc), i would go Beyer 990 Definitely. But be sure to check if the Pro model has tighter headband vs Premium as has been said..  Sometimes i would watch series&movies and play with my Beyers for 6-8hours. No problems. They are so nice and comfort. And i have big ears.
tongue.gif
Some head fiers have said that there may not be a reason to upgrade to Beyer T1. This tells you how good these really are. Pure hifists may like Sennheiser more. But they lack something..  It feels like you are driving Toyota Corolla every day, if you know what i mean. Works nice, but you don`t get the feeling what Audi (Beyer) would bring.
biggrin.gif
  But in no way are Senns are not bad. For your music taste, beyer wins hands down.

Feb 26, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #29 of 35
I now have a bit of experience with the 598s. No, the bass isn't bad. It's not going to thump you into oblivion, but it's not bad at all. I'm also not a basshead, though; if you are, you'll find these cans lacking. If you like honest bass, these will be good enough on that score. The 880s, by comparison, seemed a little thinner in the bass response, and just a touch crisper everywhere else, though the difference is small. I'm personally wondering if I should just stick with the 598s, or if I should try and get hold of Soundmagic 200s or Fidelio x2 to try. Given that I wouldn't mind a little more slam (not much, just a little) and am not necessarily looking for a flat sound, I don't mind a bit of a v-shaped response. I just got the 598s today, so I've got some time to play with them before they have to go back, if indeed they do go back. At this point, I'm content enough that if I did try the others and found them wanting, I'd keep the 598s.

Feb 27, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #30 of 35
  I have HD558 foam modded (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-kJ7sN16qw)  They are almost same as HD598 now, wide soundstage etc.These were my first cans. But i missed something in the low department. Then i bought the Beyer 990 Premium (250 Ohm). They have more bass punch and something what i missed in Senns.  I love these with movies. I drive them with my HK AVR-255 with dolby headphone mode to give it more wider surround like sound. And when listening music at the computer table i plug it to my discrete soundcard and it runs nicely. Sure, with amp&dac combo it could be better. But how much better? There are some talks that it would not be that much better than my avr.

I did see you are looking the 990 Pro model. I think it isn`t that nice as Premium model. Comfort isn`t as good i have read. If you are listening that kind of music (Infected Mushroom etc), i would go Beyer 990 Definitely. But be sure to check if the Pro model has tighter headband vs Premium as has been said..  Sometimes i would watch series&movies and play with my Beyers for 6-8hours. No problems. They are so nice and comfort. And i have big ears.
tongue.gif
Some head fiers have said that there may not be a reason to upgrade to Beyer T1. This tells you how good these really are. Pure hifists may like Sennheiser more. But they lack something..  It feels like you are driving Toyota Corolla every day, if you know what i mean. Works nice, but you don`t get the feeling what Audi (Beyer) would bring.
biggrin.gif
  But in no way are Senns are not bad. For your music taste, beyer wins hands down.

Well I'm not a basshead, i just gave few examples of what electro/trance music I listen to :p From Beyer I'm leaning more towards DT880 250Ohm Pro, I've read that they have better mids and highs then 990 but less bass (still more or close to HD598) so they would probably fit me better. Xonar DG is not enough to drive them right?

Is it true that HD598 have "veiled"/muddy sound? Not sure exactly what it means but it sure doesn't sound good
tongue.gif
. After extensive reading I found out that DT880 250Ohm and ATH AD900x outclass HD598 in almost every way so I'm looking into them closely. I was recommended just buying a pair of headphones and returning them if I won't like them, but it's not my style. Plus I've never had a good pair so I won't know if they are good for me or not anyway...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back