HD600 + Extended Bass + Larger Soundstage = ?
Feb 8, 2014 at 4:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 73

PTom

100+ Head-Fier
I think the above equation "sums" up my question.
bigsmile_face.gif

Regarding budget, I'm assuming improvements on the HD600 will require entering Summit Fi territory. The LCD3/HD800 are the most expensive headphones I'd consider buying.

Depending on which headphone comes closest to the sound signature I want,  I'm looking to build a system around it so I'm not looking for recommendations based on which amp/DAC I have at the moment.

Any thoughts?

Feb 8, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #3 of 73
Yeah I used to own the X1 but I found its mids too recessed. Also vocals don't sound natural (too warm). Soundstage and bass were great though. However, I find these two aspects lacking in the HD600.

Feb 8, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #4 of 73
HD800 won't give you much in the way of bass over your HD600. Before reaching for an Audeze, what about HE400 and even DT990?

Feb 8, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #6 of 73
  HD800 won't give you much in the way of bass over your HD600. Before reaching for an Audeze, what about HE400 and even DT990?

I just checked the frequency response of the DT990, it seems to look a bit like the Fidelio X1, i.e. enhanced mid bass and treble. I'm guessing this means recessed mids? Would this be how you describe the sound? How's the soundstage/imaging and speed/attack? Is it airy?

Quote:
HE-500 without a doubt. It's pretty much neutral like the HD600 but with better bass and soundstage. I own both.

Yes, sonically I think the HE-500 might be exactly what I'm looking. Same questions as above: how's the imaging and speed/attack? Is it airy?

The only issue I can see with these is with regard to comfort. I read that planar magnetics weigh over 500 g, I found the Fidelio X1 which weight 430 g too heavy. The HD 600 at 230 g is perfect IMO. 

I am reading that the new HiFiMAN planar magnetics coming out in a few months i.e. the HE400i and HE560i are lightish i.e. around 350 g.

Feb 8, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #7 of 73
  I just checked the frequency response of the DT990, it seems to look a bit like the Fidelio X1, i.e. enhanced mid bass and treble. I'm guessing this means recessed mids? Would this be how you describe the sound? How's the soundstage/imaging and speed/attack? Is it airy?

The upper midrange is a little overpowered by the bass, but the treble isn't. I find the Beyers to have a well-integrated sound. Attack is good, but soundstage is average for open over ear; better than HD6x0 in both.

Feb 8, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #8 of 73
I see in that case I don't think the DT990 is the signature I'm looking for. What I really like about the HD600 is that the frequency response strikes a good balance and it sounds natural. The bass is not overpowering but sounds natural and present. However what the HD600 lack IMO is sub bass. Also a wider soundstage would be nice.

Mar 1, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #10 of 73
I'm really waiting for the HE-400i and HE-560 to drop, it may be my first ortho purchase. I love the HD600 signature, so I might look to that too if I were you.

I'm waiting for impressions by serious head-fier's first though. Just my opinion though.

Mar 1, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #11 of 73
I see in that case I don't think the DT990 is the signature I'm looking for. What I really like about the HD600 is that the frequency response strikes a good balance and it sounds natural. The bass is not overpowering but sounds natural and present. However what the HD600 lack IMO is sub bass. Also a wider soundstage would be nice.

HD650 should give you that. The trade off is neutrality; but coming from HD600, you'd probably be trading that regardless.

Mar 1, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #12 of 73
There is no spoon. :) That's what the HD700 should have been. A HD600 with angled drivers, better bass extension and no 3kHz peak. If and when such a thing is made, I want to know about it ASAP.
I don't think it's going to be a Hifiman though. Probably Sony or Sennheiser can make such a headphone.

Recently there have been improvements in portable closed headphone arena (Nad, Focal). We should petition NAD to make a 500$ open headphone like that. Or Sennheiser to launch a HD801, this time with the correct frequency response. That would be something. :)

Mar 3, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #15 of 73
I'm glad to see this thread has been revived somewhat. 

I recently got the Beyerdynamic T1 and my first impressions are that it sounds very natural, has a large soundstage and extended bass. So maybe this is what I'm looking for. I still need some more time with it though to be sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back