HD600s / laptop amp?
Feb 23, 2021 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

danni87

New Head-Fier
I plugged my Sennheiser HD-600 headphones into my cheap Dell laptop and the volume was so quiet it became obvious to me I needed an amp. Does anyone have any recommendations? I don't need great quality considering I'm just listening to streaming music anyway, but clearly the headphones aren't getting enough power.

Feb 23, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #2 of 7
An O2 is an inexpensive and good starting place.

Feb 24, 2021 at 5:02 AM Post #3 of 7
An O2 dac amp might be too big for you if you move around alot with your laptop. I would recommend something that is a bit more portable. Maybe an ifi hip dac would pair nicely with your HD600. The hip dac also has a bass boost feature that can help your HD600 since they do tend to lack in the low end. Also Fiio makes a ton of cheap low budget portable amp dac combos that might interest you.
Also it would help to know what kind of budget You are working with and how much you care about portability.

Feb 24, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #4 of 7
If you have $300 there is a IFI Xdsd portable DAC in the FS section and no takers: LINK
Very nice for those who are on the go.

It is portable (w/ batteries), has BT and MQA capable. See product LINK.

Reviews are HERE.

Feb 24, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #5 of 7
I'd be willing to spend up to $200 but ideally less than that. I saw there's something that you just plug into the USB port of the computer like the Audioquest Dragonfly. How does something like that compare? Portability isn't really a factor but I guess I'd prefer something that doesn't take up a lot of space and doesn't need to be plugged in.

Feb 24, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #6 of 7
The Audioquest Dragonfly models generally get good reviews; when I was evaluating a dac/amp last year I looked really closely at them. I eventually went the iFi hip-dac route. The generally more favorable reviews about sound quality pushed me there. The iFi Zen is also a good option if portability isn't a concern. It can take its power from the USB line, but can also take a 5V wall plug.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #7 of 7
Ifi zen dac sounds amazing for the money, its a good entry level.use wall plug!!! Down side no on-off button.But its lack power for example hifiman sundara nomather what people say.shops sell this as a pkt.
Sundara need more power.
Sorry for bad english.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back