HD600s left side not working
Nov 7, 2022 at 7:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

shawns

New Head-Fier
Hey guys!

I've had this pair of HD600s for a little bit and I've had the same issue for the whole time. The left side continuously stops working. I used to think it's an issue with the cable but the fact that it's been happening every time makes me wonder if it is.

I've bought cheap cables, the Sennheiser cables and custom cables from CustomCans (totally recommend) however every time, they've gone out. I can wiggle the cable and maneuver it to bring it audio back for a little bit but only temporarily. If I plug the right side of the cable into the left can, the left can starts making sound so I'm really not sure whats the problem, whether it be the cable, cans or my Scarlett Solo.

I'm not sure what to do now and I'd really like to keep using the headphones, for the whole time I've had the headphones they've been plugged into my Focusrite Scarlett Solo. Any help, or any questions that would help you guys help me is more than welcomed.

Thanks!

Nov 7, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #2 of 16
Hey guys!

I've had this pair of HD600s for a little bit and I've had the same issue for the whole time. The left side continuously stops working. I used to think it's an issue with the cable but the fact that it's been happening every time makes me wonder if it is.

I've bought cheap cables, the Sennheiser cables and custom cables from CustomCans (totally recommend) however every time, they've gone out. I can wiggle the cable and maneuver it to bring it audio back for a little bit but only temporarily. If I plug the right side of the cable into the left can, the left can starts making sound so I'm really not sure whats the problem, whether it be the cable, cans or my Scarlett Solo.

I'm not sure what to do now and I'd really like to keep using the headphones, for the whole time I've had the headphones they've been plugged into my Focusrite Scarlett Solo. Any help, or any questions that would help you guys help me is more than welcomed.

Thanks!
It doesn't sound like driver failure because (1) wiggling the cable causes audio to come back at certain angles and (2) the left side makes noise when swapping polarity (and I assume the right side does not make noise), however I may be wrong. You can test to see if it is the Scarlett Solo's fault by plugging in the 600s to any other device like a phone and seeing if both sides work. If not, it might just be a cable issue. Though, I have never had an issue with the cables before. Do you know if you could've damaged them accidentally?

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #3 of 16
It doesn't sound like driver failure because (1) wiggling the cable causes audio to come back at certain angles and (2) the left side makes noise when swapping polarity (and I assume the right side does not make noise), however I may be wrong. You can test to see if it is the Scarlett Solo's fault by plugging in the 600s to any other device like a phone and seeing if both sides work. If not, it might just be a cable issue. Though, I have never had an issue with the cables before. Do you know if you could've damaged them accidentally?
I plugged the cable into my laptop aux (MacBook pro) and it did not change anything. I don't believe the cables were damaged however even if they were, it would be weird that the same thing happened consistently every time.

Nov 7, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #4 of 16
I plugged the cable into my laptop aux (MacBook pro) and it did not change anything. I don't believe the cables were damaged however even if they were, it would be weird that the same thing happened consistently every time.
Hmmm, double check and make sure the R and L indicators on the cable are plugged in correctly (the letters "R" and "L" should face away/outside the headphones). Either that or maybe you have a setting on your device that makes the left channel zero. I don't think the Scarlett has a channel balance knob/setting, so maybe it is the source/computer. If none of those work, then it very well could be a driver failure. It would be further evidence if you didn't recall a time where you damaged or tugged on the cables.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2022 at 10:30 PM Post #5 of 16
Hmmm, double check and make sure the R and L indicators on the cable are plugged in correctly (the letters "R" and "L" should face away/outside the headphones). Either that or maybe you have a setting on your device that makes the left channel zero. I don't think the Scarlett has a channel balance knob/setting, so maybe it is the source/computer. If none of those work, then it very well could be a driver failure. It would be further evidence if you didn't recall a time where you damaged or tugged on the cables.
They are plugged in correctly, I tried the headphones on a different device (my phone and another laptop) and the same issue was happened. It definitely is the cable however I don't understand why this issue has happened every time and in the same place everytime?

Nov 7, 2022 at 11:16 PM Post #6 of 16
They are plugged in correctly, I tried the headphones on a different device (my phone and another laptop) and the same issue was happened. It definitely is the cable however I don't understand why this issue has happened every time and in the same place everytime?
Beats me. You said that wiggling the cable could sometimes get it to work in certain positions? This suggests that there is physical damage to the wires. I don't think the cable blew out because of any devices.

If you bought the cables recently, see if you can get a replacement (if you have warranty) or refund. Damaged cables are rare, but three of them in the same location is suspicious.

Edit: hold on, you said that you have had the 600s for a little bit. When did you start having the cable issues after buying and receiving the 600s?

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 12:07 AM Post #7 of 16
Beats me. You said that wiggling the cable could sometimes get it to work in certain positions? This suggests that there is physical damage to the wires. I don't think the cable blew out because of any devices.

If you bought the cables recently, see if you can get a replacement (if you have warranty) or refund. Damaged cables are rare, but three of them in the same location is suspicious.

Edit: hold on, you said that you have had the 600s for a little bit. When did you start having the cable issues after buying and receiving the 600s?
I got the problem very quickly, the stock cable broke in maybe the first 4-5 months?

Nov 8, 2022 at 12:42 AM Post #9 of 16
Hey guys!

Thanks!

Maybe I'm missing something here but it seems pretty obvious the bolded would indicate the left side of the cable is the issue.

Nov 8, 2022 at 2:18 AM Post #10 of 16
I think these are the same connector type as HD 25? if that's the case the prongs of the cable make contact with small springs that are inside the cup. These can get oxidation on them or can lose their springiness, which can lead to a resistive or intemittent connection.

If you do not plan to get Sennheiser to fix it- IMO First thing to try is clean the cable plug & spring with liquid plastic safe deoxit or something like it (apply light coat to cable pins, insert/remove, wipe - repeat a few times.

If the springs are indeed the problem there are also some more drastic measures to try but come with more risk of damage (such as readjusting or replacing the spring).

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #11 of 16
I think these are the same connector type as HD 25? if that's the case the prongs of the cable make contact with small springs that are inside the cup. These can get oxidation on them or can lose their springiness, which can lead to a resistive or intemittent connection.

If you do not plan to get Sennheiser to fix it- IMO First thing to try is clean the cable plug & spring with liquid plastic safe deoxit or something like it (apply light coat to cable pins, insert/remove, wipe - repeat a few times.

If the springs are indeed the problem there are also some more drastic measures to try but come with more risk of damage (such as readjusting or replacing the spring).
I opened the drivers and nothing seemed wrong with the springs in terms of oxidation or space. Also if there was an issue with the driver wouldn't the right side of the cable not work in the left can? (currently, the right cable DOES work when plugged into the left can, this is the only thing that makes me think that it is not a driver issue.)

Nov 9, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #13 of 16
I agree, it definitely seems like a cable issue. What I'm trying to figure out is what constantly causes this. Could it be where it's plugged into (Focusrite Solo)?
I don't know a person on here that uses the Focusrites. We usually plug it in amps or amp/dacs to listen to music. See if other people with the Focusrite Solos are having the same issue online. If there aren't any/many complaints, then it is definitely the cable. I'll ask again: can you think of a time where you damaged the cables? Maybe a cat chewed on it. Accidental tug? Spilled liquids? Accidentally stepping on them?

Nov 9, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #14 of 16
I think I'm suffering the same issue with my HD 800 and it's cable, but at the right side. Some times the headphones work perfect, but eventually if I touch the cable or move me a little, the right side low it's volume a little or stop at all to produce any sound, then if I touch the cable again the sound restores.

It's very annoying because sometimes I'm listening to music and I barely touch the cable and the sound at the right side restores at normal level and then I realize that I'm not getting the "full experience" from the headphones.

I'm going to order a new cable from Aliexpress. Like you, I hope is the cable and not the driver. It seems so...

Nov 9, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #15 of 16
I skimmed this. It seems like it's the internal cable from the plug to the driver. You had a cable failure earlier. Do you transport the cans often, or wrap the cables tight, or pull on the cables? Did you ever drop the cans?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back