HD650 amp/DAC?
Nov 22, 2014 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Rewkie

100+ Head-Fier
I've been looking at threads on head-fi for at least 3 hours now trying to find a good amp/DAC combo for the HD650s I'll be picking up within the next week, and being the OCD ridden guy that I am, I find myself having a hard time making a decision. 

I enjoy classical music, i plan on using these for quite a bit of gaming as well. (i don't know if amps have anything to do with surround sound, i'm guessing not) 

Amps I've been looking at.

~Schiit Valhalla 2

~Schiit Magni

~Schiit Vali

~Schiit Asgard 2

~BottleHead Crack

~O2 amp

DACs i've been looking at.

~Schiit Modi

~Schiit Bifrost

~ODAC

Any suggestions would be really helpful as i'm a complete noob when it comes to audiophile grade equipment.  I'd like to keep the budget under $500 for the amp and dac as well.  I know i put the Valhalla 2 and bifrost in there and they break the budget, but if they are as good as people say they are with the HD650s i have no problem stretching the budget a bit.  (this goes for any suggestions as well)

Nov 22, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #2 of 12
  I've been looking at threads on Head-fi for at least 3 hours now trying to find a good amp/DAC combo for the HD650s I'll be picking up within the next week, and being the OCD ridden guy that I am, I find myself having a hard time making a decision. 
I enjoy classical music, i plan on using these for quite a bit of gaming as well. (i don't know if amps have anything to do with surround sound, i'm guessing not) 
Any suggestions would be really helpful as i'm a complete noob when it comes to audiophile grade equipment.  I'd like to keep the budget under $500 for the amp and dac as well.  I know i put the Valhalla 2 and bifrost in there and they break the budget, but if they are as good as people say they are with the HD650s i have no problem stretching the budget a bit.  (this goes for any suggestions as well)

Check out the Audio-GD NFB-15, external DAC/Amp, $270+shipping.
USB, optical & coaxial input.
Dual WM8741 DAC chips
Headphone amplifier has plenty of power.
Even a separate line-output for future speakers
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm

Nov 22, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #3 of 12

Check out the Audio-GD NFB-15, external DAC/Amp, $270+shipping.
USB, optical & coaxial input.
Dual WM8741 DAC chips
Headphone amplifier has plenty of power.
Even a separate line-output for future speakers
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but will dolby digital surround sound work on the NFB-15?  I've heard about it not working on amps but working if you go straight through the sound card, and haven't really looked into it that much.

Nov 22, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #5 of 12
  Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but will Dolby Digital surround sound work on the NFB-15?  I've heard about it not working on amps but working if you go straight through the sound card, and haven't really looked into it that much.

Most sound cards will send headphone surround sound thru the card's  S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) output.
The NFB-15 come with both optical & coaxial inputs.

Nov 22, 2014 at 3:32 AM Post #6 of 12
  I'd also much rather buy from an American/European company.

Audio-GD has local distributors in Europe
http://www.audiophonics.fr/en/appareils-hifi-dac/audiogd-nfb1532-dacpreamp-32bit192khz-usb32-wm8741-p-8926.html

Nov 22, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #8 of 12
I think in terms of an amp i'm either going to go for a BH crack, Valhalla 2, or Asgard 2. (still open for suggestions) Anyone have a good DAC suggestion for those?  

Nov 22, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #12 of 12
O2/ODAC is very popular, and is made by many. The OTL tube amps are great for a warm sound. For a DAC, just buy one dependant on your I/O needs from Schiit imo. I'm not big on preferring American companies, but Schiit seems to be alright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back