HD650 AMP
Jul 25, 2010 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

snaps11

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, Im going to get a pair of hd650s whats the best combo?  Was looking at the headroom micro desktop amp and was going to get the micro dac eventually to go with it.  Is this good or is there a better choice for the same price?  Thanks

Edit:   Budget $400 for amp only

Jul 25, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #2 of 25
budget?

Jul 26, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #4 of 25
Ok I applied for that thanks for the heads up.  If that doesnt work out does anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks

Jul 26, 2010 at 11:23 AM Post #5 of 25
for the price, the matrix m-stage amp is quite good value .....

Jul 26, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #6 of 25
I just got a pair of HD 650, and I'm looking at the Schiit Asgard...or even preordering the Valhalla....

Jul 27, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #7 of 25
I don't have that much experience with quality headphones. In the last month I've purchased HD650s,zu mobius cables,lavry da11 dac,and a schiit Asgard amp! I couldn't be happier with my purchases.the asgard might be hard to get ahold of right now but you might want to concider pre ordering The Valhalla.schiit offers a 15 day return policy.(worry free)

Jul 27, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #8 of 25
Ok i see that the Valhalla is within my price range but what makes it better compared to some of the other amps.  Is there anything wrong with the headroom amp or is it just not as good as the competition?  Reasoning behind the recomendation would be appreciated!  Thanks

Jul 28, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #9 of 25
Value for the dollar. That's what it comes down to. There is nothing wrong the Headroom amps...there are just equal or better out there for less money. That is all. 

The Schiit Asgard has gotten some glowing reviews, and the price/performance ratio is amazing for a US-made product. It seems that they know what they are doing over at Schiit, and people are speculating about how amazing the Valhalla might be. 

Also, 15-day return policy lets you hear it with your rig to see if it fits in to your taste.

Jul 28, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #10 of 25
You might want to consider going with something used.  Sometimes you get more bang for the buck that way too.

After months of reading threads on this sight, my brain was flooded with so many different ideas/suggestions/recommendations.  What I did was went out and did a lot of blind testing to see what my ears like the best, then I searched for a used amp of what I liked.  Unfortunately I could not find the used amp that I wanted.  It turns out however, that what my ears liked was actually in my price range.  To my ears it sounded better than amps costing double and triple the price.

It's interesting when you listen without knowing the price, the results may really surprise you.  Sometimes when we know something is expensive our minds (not ears), trick us into thinking that it's better. 

Jul 28, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #12 of 25

Quote:
You might want to consider going with something used.  Sometimes you get more bang for the buck that way too.

After months of reading threads on this sight, my brain was flooded with so many different ideas/suggestions/recommendations.  What I did was went out and did a lot of blind testing to see what my ears like the best, then I searched for a used amp of what I liked.  Unfortunately I could not find the used amp that I wanted.  It turns out however, that what my ears liked was actually in my price range.  To my ears it sounded better than amps costing double and triple the price.

It's interesting when you listen without knowing the price, the results may really surprise you.  Sometimes when we know something is expensive our minds (not ears), trick us into thinking that it's better. 

That is good process for doing things, it would be valuable to know how you managed to find enough amps and places around that would let you do blind tests!

Jul 28, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #13 of 25
Well a job that involves travel does have it's perks.  Granted, I was limited to what I had access to and wasn't able to test everything obviously.  In most cases I would go through Craigslist search / test that way.  I had access to a Burson HA-160 (which is what I wound up with), and would blind test everything against that.  I picked the Burson pretty much every time.  The most memerable exception was when I tested it against a used  WooAudio 5 which was way out of my price range.

Jul 29, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #14 of 25
That's interesting. I haven't done a blind test, I should, but in a sighted A/B with the amps being priced the same in the store, I did like the Meier more. The Burson's warm sound just didn't do it for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back