HD650 comfort?
Nov 21, 2014 at 10:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Rewkie

100+ Head-Fier
How does the HD650s comfort compare to all the other classical-focused (headphones that do classical music well) cans?  I've heard that the HD700s are super comfy, but my price range does not support that at all (unless i get a REALLY good deal), and my #2 concern in headphones (right behind sound quality) is comfort.  Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Nov 22, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #4 of 9
I have a pretty large head, and feel they have a bit of clamp to them. However, I've read that over time they'll stretch and become quite comfortable. Some users slightly bend the metal potion of the arms, but I wouldn't risk damaging the headphone. Hd555 was more comfortable and my Denon D600 fits like a glove.

Pads are quite nice on the 650 as well. I enjoy classical music as well, you've made a fine choice. I've had these for months and there is still so much to discover. What I find telling of this headphones quality, is that if you really listen carefully, you can hear faint sounds in the distance with certain recordings (especially with binaural field recordings). I have a pretty meaty integrated amp to drive these, and a portable, but was surprised recently that a iPhone 6 could drive them well enough for certain peices. Fantastic headphone.

Nov 22, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #5 of 9
Do check the clamping force.
When I auditioned the HD650, I can't wear it for more than half an hour due to the clamping force.

Nov 22, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #6 of 9
Uh oh...  The main reason i never use my M100s is because they clamp way too hart on my head. (and i do have a fairly large head)  You guys think this will be a problem?  

Nov 22, 2014 at 3:15 AM Post #7 of 9
Uh oh...  The main reason i never use my M100s is because they clamp way too hart on my head. (and i do have a fairly large head)  You guys think this will be a problem?  

Hard to say. I can tell you this though, I've tried the hd-800, and for the amount I've spent on individual headphones my future self would tell my past self to by those and call it a day. Those are killer in comfort. Really really good.

Honestly, I'm putting up with 650s as I know they'll get better in time (plus I got them used for only $300 CDs and they sound great). Their housing is an old design, and when you see the thin metal arm bands, you'll be like 'ah, yup those will bend naturally overtime'. Unlike a headphone made completely out of plastic, these have some give.

I would imagine the Hd700, is also very comfortable, just not sure of its sound signature and if it would work for classical.

Nov 22, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #8 of 9
the clamping force issue is very easy to fix for HD600/650..

http://www.head-fi.org/t/438898/hd650-hd600-hd580-comfortable-uncomfortable-or-fractured

Nov 22, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #9 of 9

I just tried the method heishiro mentioned and it worked fine. Really well actually.

It's importan to get jut just the right fit, ensure the centre of the driver is parallel with your ear. Like any headphone driver alignment with the ear can drastically affect the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back