HD650 HD650 HD650!
Sep 6, 2010 at 7:45 AM Post #47 of 71
Hi Buddyboy , i got mine singing after 20-25 days 8 hours per day , and they really need to break in , they sounded like crap first 7 - 8 days , now after
40 days they even start to sound great with low quality stream sources like last.fm.

Nov 28, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #48 of 71
cant wait to get my hd650...just ordered it during black friday for $250 brand new shipped. best deal i could find for them....its out for delivery..the wait is killing me 

does it really take that long to burn them in?

Nov 28, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #49 of 71

Quote:
cant wait to get my hd650...just ordered it during black friday for $250 brand new shipped. best deal i could find for them....its out for delivery..the wait is killing me 

does it really take that long to burn them in?

Where did you find it for $250 shipped?!

Nov 28, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #50 of 71

Quote:
Where did you find it for $250 shipped?!

It was a black friday sale at music123.com ..i was able to buy 3 of them. One for myself and the other 2 for family members. Newegg and amazon had them for 299.99 but went out of stock instantly...great prices!

I also was able to pick up ultimate ear triple Fi 10 for $99 on amazon.

Nov 29, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #51 of 71
I called JR.com and they matched the Newegg deal at $299 + free ship.

May 1, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #53 of 71
Been using my HD650's for over a year and a half now, coupled with my Asus Xonar Essence ST with OPAMPS upgrade, it's been audiogasm for me.
Fantastic comfortable headphone, that really shines with spacious sound.

May 1, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #54 of 71
No doubt... with a well matched amp and source... the "new version" HD650's are some of the best phones available - with which all objective reviewers agree!

Jun 17, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #55 of 71
I have only had my 650s for a few days now, but I can tell they are going to be quite nice indeed. I am still waiting for my Auditor to arrive, but once I have that tasty amp to drive my 650s and 880s, it should be an extremely good little system. I really like what the 650s do for the sound, certainly they colour the music, but everything does to one extent or another. The bass is very powerful I find, espescially considering the 650s are open cans. Now some of the bass is less articulate and may not reveal the finest of nuances that might be squeezed out, however, the engaging presentation and tonal richness of the bass makes for a very rewarding experience. Certainly these aren't designed to be analytical cans, that we all know, but they do what they do so well that I don't find myself wondering about any potential lost detail, I just find myself enjoying the music.

In my experience, very few recordings are so good that you want to have ever last morsel of detail anyway. The treble with the 650 is slightly soft, but not so soft as to rob you of needed information IMO. Again, returning to the music itself, depending on what you are listening to of course, there are often plenty of edges and over-presentation in the higher frequencies and a little downward emphasis is mostly a very good approach. I know there are two schools out there, and the group that want total detail retrieval and neutrality just can't stand cans like the 650s, or at least not enjoy their sound, will always point out the goal should be full portrayl of the original, no added colour. I myself lean that way, but not all of the time, and certainly not to the extent that the wonderful qualities that the 650s possess are lost on me. Everything in audio is a trade-off, nothing comes for free, full on detail can be sterile, cold and stark, too much warmth can be muddy and lose all the timbre and tonal nuances into a warm syrup. But when a good balance is struck, as my initial impressions of the 650s tell me is happening, then you are going to be presented with a rich, and rewarding musical reproduction. People colour music all of the time, in the studio, in performance halls with acoustic treatments and computer modelling of sound dispersion, colouration itself is not always bad. We have various shades of coloured piano sounds, trumpets, guitars, drums etc.. It just depends on how you perceive the colouration, is it positive for you or not?

I started out with the Grado sound (will get some RS1s someday), moved to the Beyerdynamic sound (still there with my 880s that I love) and now I am really enjoying what the 650s do. My next set of cans will likely be the D7000s. As with the 650s, I read many, many thredas about them before deciding I had to have them, and the D7000 sounds like another must try for me. Anyway, so far, as I suspected I would, I love my 650s and can't wait to learn more about them. I will post a review of them and my 880s with the Auditor after I have had a few weeks with them. Cheers.

Jun 17, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #56 of 71
Wow...Zombie thread alert!

Jun 17, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #57 of 71
After much HD650 review reading I was concerned with regards the comments of a dark, veiled and coloured sound however with my experience of a well used (15 yrs+) and loved pair of HD580's i figured Sennheiser know what they are doing and i got my credit card out.

Yes agreed the veiled, dark coloured sound was exactly what I found straight out of the box but now with some 300hrs of consistent running it is with relief that the sound has opened up and it's like the cotton wool has been removed from my ears! I understand they will keep on improving with some more hour's and a soon to arrive silver cable can only help further.  

So to conclude.........after 300 hrs the HD650's may not be as detailed or analytical as others but can's that follow that style of presentation are ultimately fatiguing and don't encourage extended listening. The HD650's present music in such a way that you just want to keep on listening and i'm revisiting much of my music collection that has wrongly been neglected.

My Kit
  1. Apple Mac
  2. iTunes - Lossless
  3. ARCAM rPAC Dac/amplifier with Kimber silver USB cable

Jun 17, 2012 at 7:14 AM Post #58 of 71
I'm not sure this is the best place to post this, but since there seems to be a huge user-base of 650 users here I thought it might be the place to start!
I got a pair of 650s for Christmas last year and absolutely loved them until I noticed that the right ear produced a rattling sound at certain low frequencies, at first I was convinced it was my source; but after comparing them to my 5 year old 595s it became obvious that there was a problem. Now I've had a replacement pair for a couple of weeks and they've developed the same thing! The right ear vibrates making a faint "buzzing" sound on low notes, something akin to distortion you might find in crapped out ipod headphones. (probably something that everyone has experienced, for comparison). Is this common? Am I just extremely unlucky to get two consecutive pairs that were damaged?

If anyone has had or heard of a similar experience please let me know, I'm about ready to send these back for the second time :frowning2:

Jun 17, 2012 at 7:48 AM Post #59 of 71
The vibration might be a hair or something trapped inside the enclosure. I had a freind bring his 650s over here, heard a horrible buzz like your describing and told him about it. He read a few posts here and learned about the foreign object possibility, opened his 650s found a hair or something, removed it, voila no more buzzing. Hope your so lucky this time. Cheers.

Jun 17, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #60 of 71
Wow, I had considered that possibility but didn't think it would have that profound an effect! I haven't opened them yet, but I did pull quite a few hairs from the foam pad and it seems (fingers doubly crossed) to have made a big difference. The track I had found which was able to readily replicate the effect was Fort Minor's "Believe me," and listening to it now I can't hear the rattle. Going to do some more listening now to make sure! Also these sound just beautiful, that buzz was really detracting from my enjoyment before :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back