HD6XX / HD800 / Focal Clear advice
Oct 20, 2019 at 10:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

hxs80

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I daily drove (and still do) a pair of HD6XXs with a Schitt stack (Mimby/Magni3/Loki) for about a year or more now and that has been a trusty home office setup. I don't source from anywhere fancy, just Tidal (HiFi w/ "Master" support) from a laptop so I know my sources vary and it isn't anything to write home about.

Last year, I picked up an HD800 with the SDR mod and thought that they would be my "end game". Well, ends up that I do like the HD800s in general, I just can't stand them for more than an hour (estimated). With some music, it's just so bad I revert to the HD6xxs.

I then thought, hey, maybe they'll get better with a better amp; more "umph". So I picked up the THX AAA 789 from Massdrop. At this point, I was there, sitting ready with my HD800s, a balanced cable, expecting to be blown away... bah! While things did get "better", the bad just got worse.

It might be in my head but I think what's happening is that the HD800s "resolve?" so much, they make bad recordings sound unlistenable by exposing the flaws. Since the HD6xxs are more "laid back" they are more "forgiving" therefore making them easier to listen to on a mix of genres. I know the HD800s are known for being "forward" but even with tuning down the highs on the Loki, it just doesn't cut it for me. I can live with the highs, it's the overall inability to be "fun" while at the same time being detailed that I don't like. Does that even sound right?

So yeah, when the tracks are right, I love and am blown away by the HD800s. But I don't really want headphones for "certain" recordings or music type. That's what I like about the HD6xxs; they may not be the greatest, but at least all music is tolerable.

So I've been searching and searching for what I'm targeting as an HD6xx with more detail. From what I've read and heard, I won't be able to get the same soundstage as the HD800s but at this point, I think I can sacrifice that. Enter the Focal Clears. They seem to fit the bill for what I'm looking for. I haven't been able to find a place to check them out locally so I'm only going by what I'm reading and watching on YouTube.

Can anyone relate or have any input? At this point, I'm willing to part with the HD800s and find the right set of cans when they cross my path.

Thanks.

Oct 20, 2019 at 11:31 PM Post #2 of 6
I then thought, hey, maybe they'll get better with a better amp; more "umph". So I picked up the THX AAA 789 from Massdrop. At this point, I was there, sitting ready with my HD800s, a balanced cable, expecting to be blown away... bah! While things did get "better", the bad just got worse.

It might be in my head but I think what's happening is that the HD800s "resolve?" so much, they make bad recordings sound unlistenable by exposing the flaws. Since the HD6xxs are more "laid back" they are more "forgiving" therefore making them easier to listen to on a mix of genres. I know the HD800s are known for being "forward" but even with tuning down the highs on the Loki, it just doesn't cut it for me. I can live with the highs, it's the overall inability to be "fun" while at the same time being detailed that I don't like. Does that even sound right?

So yeah, when the tracks are right, I love and am blown away by the HD800s. But I don't really want headphones for "certain" recordings or music type. That's what I like about the HD6xxs; they may not be the greatest, but at least all music is tolerable.

So I've been searching and searching for what I'm targeting as an HD6xx with more detail. From what I've read and heard, I won't be able to get the same soundstage as the HD800s but at this point, I think I can sacrifice that. Enter the Focal Clears. They seem to fit the bill for what I'm looking for. I haven't been able to find a place to check them out locally so I'm only going by what I'm reading and watching on YouTube.

Can anyone relate or have any input? At this point, I'm willing to part with the HD800s and find the right set of cans when they cross my path.

Since both your headphones are high impedance anyway maybe try using the Darkvoice DV336se.

That said while the smoother overall sound of the HD800S with it might be what you're looking for on the cheap (I mean, it's not like ordering a WooAudio WA3 or WA22), problem is how it'll go with the HD6XX. It can be too much, or it can adjust your ears and mind to want that level of smoothened out top end. Or it might give you exactly what you're looking for that you won't need the HD6XX anymore...but then like too many people here you might end up wanting something different just to mix it up, at which point having an OTL amp can be a problem since it restricts you to mostly just high impedance headphones (as it has lower power output at low impedance, along with too high output impedance).

Oct 20, 2019 at 11:51 PM Post #3 of 6
I had a similar experience.I found the 800 S too exhausting after an hour or so. I prefer my HD6xx for extended “careless” listening - they are a little warmer and gentler to my ears. I used a Schiit Jotunheim on both.

Trust your ears - when I want some critical listening for a couple of hours, I found the Audeze LCD-X to perform far better for me than the 800 S - and they don’t get me tired. Go audition and enjoy :)

Oct 21, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #4 of 6
Just to be clear, pretty sure he has the original HD800. His use of "s" is in the plural context. There is no reason to apply the Super Dupont Resonator (SDR) mod on the HD800S.

The right amplifier can do wonders with the HD800 (original or S). Unfortunately, the Magni is probably not in that category. The best situation is to apply an amplifier investment commensurate with your investment in the headphone. You will always be wondering if better performance is available. In the case of the HD800, a better amplifier ensures a smoothness and soundstage, with no loss of detail, that most solid-state-high-feedback amplifier circuits can't reproduce. You will find similar issues with another TOTL headphone. The Audeze headphones need more power than most, it's a by-product of the planar design. The Focal Clear requires super-low output impedance from an amplifier, because the drivers in that headphone have almost no inherent damping. (It's been noted that one can see the driver move back and forth simply from the air speed developed from moving the headphone around.) I agree that the HD650/6XX is an excellent headphone, but to truly get the best performance, you will have the same amplifier issues as with the others mentioned.

JMHO, but maybe you should pursue a better amplifier. The HD800 with the SDR mod can be a true endgame headphone with quality amplification.

Oct 21, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #5 of 6
JMHO, but maybe you should pursue a better amplifier. The HD800 with the SDR mod can be a true endgame headphone with quality amplification.

@tomb . Thanks. Yes, I do have the original HD800. As for the better amp, that's what I thought I was doing with the THX 789 but I think I finally see that I might have to go the tube route. I do like the THX 789 for my HD6xx and can tell the difference coming from the Magni. The Magni is now a paper weight because I didn't like it as a pre-amp to the THX 789.

So I think maybe that's what I should pursue as an alternative to swapping the HD800s. Call my HD6xx stack "done", and look for an amplifier that works for the HD800. I'll start by looking at @ProtegeManiac 's suggestions. I really wanted to stay away from tubes because I know myself. The fact that you can switch out tubes is going to drive me nuts trying to find the "perfect" combination.

Oct 21, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #6 of 6
Since both your headphones are high impedance anyway maybe try using the Darkvoice DV336se.

That said while the smoother overall sound of the HD800S with it might be what you're looking for on the cheap (I mean, it's not like ordering a WooAudio WA3 or WA22), problem is how it'll go with the HD6XX. It can be too much, or it can adjust your ears and mind to want that level of smoothened out top end. Or it might give you exactly what you're looking for that you won't need the HD6XX anymore...but then like too many people here you might end up wanting something different just to mix it up, at which point having an OTL amp can be a problem since it restricts you to mostly just high impedance headphones (as it has lower power output at low impedance, along with too high output impedance).

Thanks. I'll take at look at your suggestions. I might be able to swing something "better" than a DV336se budget wise but the seed is there for me to start looking and thinking about considering this route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back