HD800S-> Where do I go from here?
Jan 10, 2024 at 9:26 AM Post #16 of 33
I love my HD800, I removed the SDR mod so it would have its original character. I got the Koss 95X electrostat years ago and it sounds good but like many have said the bass was a bit lacking..........it turns out the amp that comes with the Koss has a built in filter that EQs down 200 hz and below.

I got a well regarded Stax amp and it blew my mind. I prefer the Koss + Stax amp over my HD800. The Koss 95X with a proper amp is a TOTL headphone no doubt.

Since then I have got other estats, like the very bassy Stax 007 mk2. Its such a bassy headphone that with a bass heavy EQ the bass is too much.

Picked up the Audeze CRBN yesterday. Estats are fun.
I really enjoy my CA-1a and the bass on it is excellent.

Jan 10, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #17 of 33
I really enjoy my CA-1a and the bass on it is excellent.

I thought about trying the Raal or another of those kinds of one-off headphones that only work with the special amp, but I have been wanting to get into Stax/other estats for a very long time so that is why I went that route.

Jan 10, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #18 of 33
I thought about trying the Raal or another of those kinds of one-off headphones that only work with the special amp, but I have been wanting to get into Stax/other estats for a very long time so that is why I went that route.
Actually, my CA-1a works with a normal amp. It includes a transformer that allows it to plug into any XLR4 headphone jack. Pretty sweet.

Jan 10, 2024 at 3:13 PM Post #19 of 33
Would be fun if they updated that list, looks like it's from 2020 and a lot has happened since then 😊
It looks pretty updated to me.
Other HP that seems very promising i read of this year is YAMAHA YH-5000SE. And Modhouse Tungsten.

Jan 10, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #20 of 33
Also Sennheiser seems to reveal something new on CES. Maybe an new flagship HP?
So you might want to wait for that.

Jan 10, 2024 at 7:30 PM Post #21 of 33
I love my HD800, I removed the SDR mod so it would have its original character. I got the Koss 95X electrostat years ago and it sounds good but like many have said the bass was a bit lacking..........it turns out the amp that comes with the Koss has a built in filter that EQs down 200 hz and below.

I got a well regarded Stax amp and it blew my mind. I prefer the Koss + Stax amp over my HD800. The Koss 95X with a proper amp is a TOTL headphone no doubt.

Since then I have got other estats, like the very bassy Stax 007 mk2. Its such a bassy headphone that with a bass heavy EQ the bass is too much.

Picked up the Audeze CRBN yesterday. Estats are fun.
I have been looking at Stax.

Jan 10, 2024 at 8:06 PM Post #22 of 33
The ZMF Atrium’s just play music so good for me.

Jan 18, 2024 at 11:18 PM Post #24 of 33
E-stats -- there be dragons. I agree with the earlier comments about honing in on your preferences / desired tunings which may be different or complementary to the 800S.

For example, if you want to emphasize bass, I'd suggest a used T+A Solitaire P, Final D8K or D8K Pro, LCD-4, or Abyss 1266 TC. The first and last suggestions also have some great staging.

For maximal detail for classical or jazz, the Utopia is probably the most detailed dynamic (but has a narrow and deep stage) while there are several detail monsters in the planar category like the Susvara or Solitaire P. But if detail is your most preferred attribute, nothing is going to best an e-stat or a ribbon headphone like a Stax 009S or similar. I'm personally a big fan of the Warwick Bravura (AIO e-stat system) and the Raal SR1a/b (ribbon).

If an engaging timbre is your thing -- Look at Susvara or any ZMFs.

If Staging is your jam -- nothing bests the 800S in open backs. The Kennerton Rögnir planar is also a very wide staging and detailed headphone if you need a closed back.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 11:43 PM Post #25 of 33

I'm in the honeymoon phase since it literally just came yesterday but the Stax L500 mk2 might be the best value in "end game" headphones. Any XLR DAC -> plus a used Topping EAH5 -> Stax L500 mk2 is just as resolving as the HD800.

My initial impressions yesterday were that the L500 sounded good but had a disappointing lack of bass rumble, it was there but very slight. I did the blue tack mod tonight and holy crap.........the BASS is real lol.

Right now I am tempted to sell my 007 mk2, but we shall see when the novelty wears off.

Jan 26, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #27 of 33
I would look at the hifiman he1000 stealth or any of the abyss headphones for detail retrieval on par and better than the hd800s but with more thump and liveliness

Supposedly the new Empyrean 2 is "an HD800 with Audeze LCD-2 bass".

I almost got it but got estats instead

Jan 26, 2024 at 8:54 PM Post #29 of 33
What is your thoughts on estats? I actually came sooooo close to trying estats before I got my susvara. Decided against it because their chains are too expensive for my liking. Would love to hear the impressions of someone who jumped from the hd800s

Its funny you mentioned the Susvara because I was about to buy a Violectric amp and a Susvara or an Empy 2. Then I was like "You have wanted Stax for 20 years, why not get some?"

If you are planning on going down the path, the Topping EHA5 is a completely competent amp for getting into the hobby........however, it has a habit of shutting itself off when driven hard with heavy EQ on very noisy sounds. I wasn't able to get it to shut off listening to music but I was on a YouTube video playing very loud compressed sounds. Stax amps have no issues.

The amount of Stax amps is confusing, let me save you the homework. The best amp Stax ever made according to the "experts" is the 717, supposedly it is far better then their current gen stuff. One of the amp builders just started offering a "starter" amp for like $1,300. According to him the 717 is twice as powerful as that and you can regularly find them on eBay.

If you are serious about getting into estats I recommend get a used 717 as your amp because you have to spend a LOT of money to get better, and even then will you really hear a difference?

To answer your question, I have never heard the Susvara but I have heard the flag ship X9000 and the Focal Utopia out of a $20,000 dac/amp and my Audeze CRBN and Stax 007 easily are in the same arena for detail, as is the L500.

You might have heard "estats have terrible bass". This is only true if you buy certain estats and pair them with certain amps. The Koss 95X amp has a built in EQ that cannot be turned off that does a hard reduction of all sounds 200hz and lower. I guess they figured their target demographic is people who want to listen to classical and classic rock, not exactly bass heads.

With a Stax amp there is no filter and the 95X can shine. My CRBN and 007 have top tier bass, especially with EQ, the 007 is an extremely pad dependent headphone. A pad with no seal with turn it into a headphone with bass that is present but fleeting, with a seal its a real monster.

Basically I am in love with the estat sound now. My HD800 and well all of my other headphones have been gathering dust since I got into estats.

The closest "normal" headpone I have with an estat like sound is probably the Arya Organic.

Jan 26, 2024 at 9:01 PM Post #30 of 33
Its funny you mentioned the Susvara because I was about to buy a Violectric amp and a Susvara or an Empy 2. Then I was like "You have wanted Stax for 20 years, why not get some?"

If you are planning on going down the path, the Topping EHA5 is a completely competent amp for getting into the hobby........however, it has a habit of shutting itself off when driven hard with heavy EQ on very noisy sounds. I wasn't able to get it to shut off listening to music but I was on a YouTube video playing very loud compressed sounds. Stax amps have no issues.

The amount of Stax amps is confusing, let me save you the homework. The best amp Stax ever made according to the "experts" is the 717, supposedly it is far better then their current gen stuff. One of the amp builders just started offering a "starter" amp for like $1,300. According to him the 717 is twice as powerful as that and you can regularly find them on eBay.

If you are serious about getting into estats I recommend get a used 717 as your amp because you have to spend a LOT of money to get better, and even then will you really hear a difference?

To answer your question, I have never heard the Susvara but I have heard the flag ship X9000 and the Focal Utopia out of a $20,000 dac/amp and my Audeze CRBN and Stax 007 easily are in the same arena for detail, as is the L500.

You might have heard "estats have terrible bass". This is only true if you buy certain estats and pair them with certain amps. The Koss 95X amp has a built in EQ that cannot be turned off that does a hard reduction of all sounds 200hz and lower. I guess they figured their target demographic is people who want to listen to classical and classic rock, not exactly bass heads.

With a Stax amp there is no filter and the 95X can shine. My CRBN and 007 have top tier bass, especially with EQ, the 007 is an extremely pad dependent headphone. A pad with no seal with turn it into a headphone with bass that is present but fleeting, with a seal its a real monster.

Basically I am in love with the estat sound now. My HD800 and well all of my other headphones have been gathering dust since I got into estats.

The closest "normal" headpone I have with an estat like sound is probably the Arya Organic.
I would really like to hear one in person before i take the plunge. the asking price is just insane for something I have no experience with. I am hoping to go to an audio convention to hear some, sometime this year. I actually even posted my Susvara to trade for a potential crbn system. I had come so close to getting estats after the launch of the eha5 as you said but I got cold feet after hearing the shut off issues. I am glad they work for you and I truly, hope I am able to get my hands on the CRBN system. One of the only things I'd trade for lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back