HE-400 Driver Durability
Apr 27, 2012 at 4:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Pseudoflowers

New Head-Fier
I'm just about to pull the trigger on a HE-400 from Moon Audio, but I read some of the alarming and recent posts in the HE-400 thread. I know a lot of the issues were limited to 1st gen, but I still saw some reports of failures with the new models. Since I'm 16 and jobless, I'm expecting that my purchase will last at least a year or two at minimum. Is the HE-500 significantly more durable, and if so, should I save up for it? If I have that much money, should I save a bit more and just go with a HD-650 paired with a Bifrost/Asgard combination instead? I'm very interested in the ortho sound, but if the HE series is too unreliable, I don't think I can make the purchase. And before I'm recommended this, I definitely can't afford an Audeze and proper amp/DAC to go along with it. 

Apr 27, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
I'm just about to pull the trigger on a HE-400 from Moon Audio, but I read some of the alarming and recent posts in the HE-400 thread. I know a lot of the issues were limited to 1st gen, but I still saw some reports of failures with the new models. Since I'm 16 and jobless, I'm expecting that my purchase will last at least a year or two at minimum. Is the HE-500 significantly more durable, and if so, should I save up for it? If I have that much money, should I save a bit more and just go with a HD-650 paired with a Bifrost/Asgard combination instead? I'm very interested in the ortho sound, but if the HE series is too unreliable, I don't think I can make the purchase. And before I'm recommended this, I definitely can't afford an Audeze and proper amp/DAC to go along with it. 

I would still get the HE400.

Maybe from here. Ships free, and has a great return policy and is authorized so you can more easily deal with things should something unfortunate happen.

Very best,

Apr 27, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
I think so, but apparently the customer service on the US side of things for HiFiman can pretty bad sometimes. 

My experience with their customer service (on a faulty EF2A and a problematic HE-300 cable) has been nothing but fantastic.  Their NY-based workshop has a quick turnaround too.

Apr 27, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #6 of 9
I was ordering from Moon because I have a 10% off coupon. The last post is good to hear, and alleviates one of my major concerns. I'm just really hoping everything works out alright, but even if it doesn't, it's nice to know I'll be able to get great customer service. Hopefully the failures in the 2nd gen HE-400s were due to using 1st gen drivers to clear out stock. 

Apr 27, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #7 of 9
I really like Drew over at moon audio. I called to check the status of my order and he answered the phone after business hours!! Great quick shipping and the coupon code is certainly nice. Note that you will not be able to return them if you use the coupon code though. This is a great headphone.

A quality hp should last much longer than a couple of years. Try a decade or more.  It's a great pair to own.

GL!!

Apr 27, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
I really like Drew over at moon audio. I called to check the status of my order and he answered the phone after business hours!! Great quick shipping and the coupon code is certainly nice. Note that you will not be able to return them if you use the coupon code though. This is a great headphone.

A quality hp should last much longer than a couple of years. Try a decade or more.  It's a great pair to own.

GL!!

I figured that only applied to dynamics and that stats/planar magnetics had a shorter lifespan. I hope it'll last that long!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back