HE-500 Review and Shoot out.
Apr 12, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #16 of 846
Does 3-4db less of sensitivity make that huge a difference with the HE-400 and HE-500? For the highest dynamic range of songs I only ever put my HE-400s at 12 o'clock on the lowest gain setting on the LD MKII. This isn't even taking into consideration its somewhat 20db of gain.

Apr 12, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #17 of 846
So another question, any experience driving them with the SCHIIT Asgard?

Apr 12, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #18 of 846

Quote:
So another question, any experience driving them with the SCHIIT Asgard?

I can only judge by the comments that the members have applied here in this forum.  However, those who have had the Asgard and moved onto the Lyr have implied that the upgrade was quite a leap, in their opinion.  If used gear is OK with you, there are some bargains.  The Asgard has been going for about $200 (or so).  Yet, yesterday, I did see a Lyr (in excellent) condition available for $350, which is a steal (in my opinion).

Apr 12, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #20 of 846
Interesting, I have no problem with used gear as I find it is usually 95% condition but about 70% the price, cant beat that.

Apr 13, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #21 of 846
Alright, so after doing some research I think I will go for the Asgard and the HE500. I plan on buying at least the HE-500 from headroom as I have never heard them and would like at least some grantee I can get my money back if I find them to be the most offensive headphone ever. HOWEVER, Reading around I have not come across if the Asgard will PROPERLY power the HE-500, the Lyr seems to be favorite but at double the price so I'm wondering, is it a VERY big difference or is it just a little difference on the volume knob and maybe synergy?

Edit: Just read Schiit has a 15 day money back grantee...don't want to take advantage but I might order both new and see for my self in the next few months.

Apr 13, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #22 of 846

Quote:
Alright, so after doing some research I think I will go for the Asgard and the HE500. I plan on buying at least the HE-500 from headroom as I have never heard them and would like at least some grantee I can get my money back if I find them to be the most offensive headphone ever. HOWEVER, Reading around I have not come across if the Asgard will PROPERLY power the HE-500, the Lyr seems to be favorite but at double the price so I'm wondering, is it a VERY big difference or is it just a little difference on the volume knob and maybe synergy?

Edit: Just read Schiit has a 15 day money back grantee...don't want to take advantage but I might order both new and see for my self in the next few months.

The Asgard puts about 1~1.3 watts into 38ohms of the HE-500. The HE-500 needs about 1 watt. So it just meets it. It drives. I have both the Asgard and the Lyr. The Asgard seems a little brighter to me. The Lyr seems warmer. The Lyr outputs just under 6 watts into 38ohms on the HE-500. It has more power than is needed. It comes down to preference honestly. If recommending one, I would say get the Lyr since it's going to do more for you for more headphones in the future and never be a slouch for hungry planar magnetics.

Another alternative is to suggest you get something like the NFB12.1. It's the cost of the Asgard, but does between 2 and 3 watts into 38ohms for the HE-500 so will drive it very well, for half the cost of the Lyr.

Very best,

Apr 13, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #24 of 846

Quote:
The asgard can drive the HE-500 to loud volume but it doesn't have the satisfying bass control like how the V200 drove the HE-500.  Imo, the asgard is best paired with headphones that are somewhat less bright.

This is where I found the Lyr to be more warm as well. But it makes sense, it's the lower frequencies, more power is required.

Very best,

Apr 13, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #25 of 846
Hrmmmm, well I'm on the fence about the Amp now. I suppose it's just going to end up how much I really feel like spending the NFB-12 looks to be a good option as well.

Apr 13, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #26 of 846
Aside from the V200 and the Lyr (both of which I have been considering), I suspect the Audio Gd C-2.2 might be a good option for the HE-500's and Audeze. Fully discrete, more than enough power and it looks to be well built based on the internal shots on the website.  Any first hand experience with this one or its immediate predecessor?  

Apr 13, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #27 of 846
Tried the audio-gd C-2 in discrete mode (less power than 2.2).  C-2 sounded nice driving the he-500.  It's able to get to loud volumes but bass control and texture is not as good as the V200.  Both are slightly warm amps whereas the asgard is less warm than the other two.

I had the lyr on trial for a little while but didn't get a chance to try it with any orthodynamic headphones.  The lyr sounded dull, laid back and quite boring with my Grado's and Sennheiser headphones.  I returned it to the dealer.  I should also add that although the B22 (3-channel) and the headamp GS-1 sounded quite nice with the HE-500, both of them didn't have as nice bass control as the V200.

Apr 13, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #28 of 846

Quote:
Tried the audio-gd C-2 in discrete mode (less power than 2.2).  C-2 sonded nice driving the he-500.  It's able to get to loud volumes but bass control and texture is not as good as the V200.  Both are slightly warm amps whereas the asgard is less warm than the other two.

Thank you.  I keep coming back to the V200 during this process.  Looks like the one for me if I do not go all-in on a Stax upgrade.

Apr 13, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #29 of 846

Quote:
Tried the audio-gd C-2 in discrete mode (less power than 2.2).  C-2 sounded nice driving the he-500.  It's able to get to loud volumes but bass control and texture is not as good as the V200.  Both are slightly warm amps whereas the asgard is less warm than the other two.

I had the lyr on trial for a little while but didn't get a chance to try it with any orthodynamic headphones.  The lyr sounded dull, laid back and quite boring with my Grado's and Sennheiser headphones.  I returned it to the dealer.  I should also add that although the B22 (3-channel) and the headamp GS-1 sounded quite nice with the HE-500, both of them didn't have as nice bass control as the V200.

I would just like to point out the V200 is $999 where as the others are $200-500

Users who are viewing this thread

Back