Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Apr 5, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #10,756 of 12,597

Skip the EX800 if you will mow lawns and stuff
A set of FLC8S, fit like a glove and have good mids and bass with right filters

The only thing I need super good isolation for is mowing my lawn, which is only once a week for 4-5 hours or so.  I had looked into getting FLC8Ss a few months ago, but decided I didn't want to spend that much.  Just ordered some EX800STs (japanese imports, because they were cheaper), hopefully the fit won't be a huge issue for me, but I bought them from the amazon certified dealer so I can just return them if it ends up being unbearable or if the sound sig doesn't sound good to me. (although I doubt that will happen given how much everyone here seems to love them)

Thanks for the help man, I'll post an update with how I like them once they come in next week.

Apr 6, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #10,757 of 12,597
I'm going to Tokyo tomorrow which one should I pick up 1k or 800?
I already have isine 20 and shares planars, wondering how sonys do it. Haven't bought anything sony in a while even though I live in japan.

Apr 6, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #10,758 of 12,597
Nice to see some anti-hype on the Vegas.. Probably just saved me beaucoup bucks.. Although I would never buy without trying.
Everyone else is getting so hyped up about them (OK not *everyone* but it seems like a majority) and the build quality and style do look nice, but Sony still make some of the best stuff, and gets overlooked by many people for reasons that escape me, frankly.

Apr 7, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #10,763 of 12,597
Happy to see the basshead club keeping it honest with the Vega reviews.

I am much more into the best quality bass over the most quantity, so this might be the wrong place for me but I always follow this thread. it03 has enough bass quantity for me but really isn't articulate or textured enough.

Are there any suggestions for an Iem with the best quality bass, thick-as-almond-butter mids, and as big a soundstage as possible? Vega seemed like it but not so much now.

Apr 7, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #10,764 of 12,597
Happy to see the basshead club keeping it honest with the Vega reviews.

I am much more into the best quality bass over the most quantity, so this might be the wrong place for me but I always follow this thread. it03 has enough bass quantity for me but really isn't articulate or textured enough.

Are there any suggestions for an Iem with the best quality bass, thick-as-almond-butter mids, and as big a soundstage as possible? Vega seemed like it but not so much now.

What's your budget?

I've heard the Vega, and in comparison with my Oriolus 2. IMO, the Vega has a larger bass area/quantity, while the Oriolus has a better texture, articulation, and overall quality. Sennheiser IE800 is pretty good. Empire Ears Cerberus too. 64 Audio U12 and U10 fit all your description, but too expensive

Apr 8, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #10,765 of 12,597
What's your budget?

I've heard the Vega, and in comparison with my Oriolus 2. IMO, the Vega has a larger bass area/quantity, while the Oriolus has a better texture, articulation, and overall quality. Sennheiser IE800 is pretty good. Empire Ears Cerberus too. 64 Audio U12 and U10 fit all your description, but too expensive

I will save for whatever. My recent purchases of a fiio x1, cayin c5, and the it03 make it hard to buy anything for the moment. the ie800 could work, but it doesn't have a detachable cable and I hear it has a very "cold" sound. Still, it has been on my radar for a very long time. I appreciate the response!

Apr 8, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #10,766 of 12,597
I will save for whatever. My recent purchases of a fiio x1, cayin c5, and the it03 make it hard to buy anything for the moment. the ie800 could work, but it doesn't have a detachable cable and I hear it has a very "cold" sound. Still, it has been on my radar for a very long time. I appreciate the response!

IE800 had really thin treble and throws off the timbre, if you care at all about that.  The fit/good seal was also really hard to get with the stock tips, and the cable at least for me was really short.  The bass though is very good in both quantity and quality, though I still don't think the overall package warrants the current nor former price.  The revisions to the IE800 cable in newer batches should have fixed the cable hardening issue but its still somewhat disappointing to see a ~$750 (formerly $999) IEM with fixed cables.    . 

Apr 9, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #10,767 of 12,597
  IE800 had really thin treble and throws off the timbre, if you care at all about that.  The fit/good seal was also really hard to get with the stock tips, and the cable at least for me was really short.  The bass though is very good in both quantity and quality, though I still don't think the overall package warrants the current nor former price.  The revisions to the IE800 cable in newer batches should have fixed the cable hardening issue but its still somewhat disappointing to see a ~$750 (formerly $999) IEM with fixed cables.    . 

​I was really not a fan of those. Fit is hard not just because of nozzle but cuz the body gets in the way. Then TTPOD tried to copy them and made the same error
confused.gif

Longer nozzle...? anyone? no?

The Sony EX are like franken bolts. It can be done though.
The IE800 are like 1968 hearing aid  prototypes ....that got rejected.

Apr 9, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #10,768 of 12,597
You know you love an earphone if your still upgrading it with aftermarket after you bought it. First was my balanced cable from Russia, (the blue cable).

Just in are my ex1000 to mmcx adapters I just got in from Japan. I had to translate all my communications from/into Japanese to get these. They weren't cheap either, but I wanted to be able to use my mmcx cables with my ex1000, especially my new Effect audio Thor II silver. Here are some pics of the adapters off/on the earphones with the cables installed as well. They work perfectly.

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #10,769 of 12,597
  You know you love an earphone if your still upgrading it with aftermarket after you bought it. First was my balanced cable from Russia, (the blue cable).

Just in are my ex1000 to mmcx adapters I just got in from Japan. I had to translate all my communications from/into Japanese to get these. They weren't cheap either, but I wanted to be able to use my mmcx cables with my ex1000, especially my new Effect audio Thor II silver. Here are some pics of the adapters off/on the earphones with the cables installed as well. They work perfectly.

Link. I forgot the other one :frowning2:

I think I gotta grab those adapters!

Apr 10, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #10,770 of 12,597
So far, I've lost my EX7550, EX90, and Bluebud X3.  Birfday coming up, time to treat myself.  Thinking of going to the stealth ASG 2.5s.  I usually just hook my IEMs up to my Nexus 6P and leave my FiiO Kunlun E18 at home.  Also,is there an update to the E18?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back